Sonicview 360elite pvrneeds to be updated ?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

mrite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jul 8, 2007
Ottawa Valley Canada
So about a year and 1/2 ago I bought a new motor and receiver for my FTA I spent all summer not being able to get it set up. so i gave up on it and we watched tv on our laptops. Last week I saw an add for a guy that sets up sat dishes. I got him to come and set mine up and as we were going through some of the Satellites on the dish, he mentioned that I would have to update my receiver. I went to sonicview's website and downloaded SV360Elite_New_Factory(1).rom and now I am wondering how to install it. I put it on a usb stick and put it into the usb slot in the front of the machine and nothing really happened. under my Version information it says I have Boot Loader 01.00 and Main software 02.07
I would really love some help here.
thanks
mrite

I know nothing of Sonicviews so I can't help you with your question about updating the firmware, but I wonder if the installer was just talking about updating the satellite names possibly? If that is the case, as long as you know where whatever name you have now is located in the arc you should be good to go.

If you are getting all the channels the receiver is capable of on all the sats (DVB-S, SD only?) you may not really need to update anything.

We probably have some SV experts here that can help if you actually do need to update.

Looking on lyngsat I see 83 w for AMC9 and on my receiver I have 84w for Brasilsat B3 and 82w for Nimiq2 but no 83w.
It looks like I might be able to add it. so maybe I will try that.

LNB Problerms ?

As posted a little earlier I finally got my system up and running. but noticed a large crack on the top of the lnb that might possibly let rain into it. The guy that helped me set it up thought I should probably get a newer one. He was talking about a circular one that does horizontal and vertical. my old lnb is a universal that seemed to scan both H and V . any thoughts for replacing it fore my motorized system?
Thanks
Mrite

Your terminology is a bit confusing, so I'm not sure what we're talking about.
If you have a Universal Ku LNBF, many are made with a plastic housing around a sealed metal box.
So basically, water won't matter.
Can you post a couple of pictures?

I have a blue LNBF for one of my ku dish.
On top and bottom of the plastic housing is a seam and that seam is not sealed is not made to be water proof. I even took it apart one time and it does not take any tools to do so.
The inside-works ( the actual LNBF ) is water-tied and sealed.

A circular LNBF has no or very very little use for FTA here in the US, since most signals for FTA are linear.

I merged the threads together.....please keep the questions in regards to getting your system up and running in one thread
Thanks!

Thanks guys you are helpful, just knowing that the working stuff is sealed in a metal box is comforting . The white plastic cap on the end is cracked but as i was scanning last night it seemed to still work good since for the last year it sat in all the rainy weather and wasn't affected.
So again many thanks
mrite

I started out with your exact receiver that I bought new. I made the mistake of updating that working receiver's firmware to newer firmware. To make a long story shorter, I would avoid updating firmware if you now have a working receiver. Especially if you're not experienced with the Sonicview. I also would recommend that as soon as possible you consider changing to a different newer receiver such as the microHD, for example.

I have a lnbf which is round and came with my Satoun system and did work fine until recently. I didn't know the part about this type of product not being compatible with FTA. It looks sort of like the ones on the Directv and Dish lnbf's except mine is for a motorized system.

Too late, I loaded the files found here and now the receiver just says boot the the letter b and nothing else. Wish I still had my old Pansat. It looks like Iwill be looking for another receiver. at least the outside work is done and the dish is set up.
Thanks for your reply.

If you continue messing with it, you will get it running again. But who needs the headache? In my experience, the errors continued, I think, because I never had what they call a hub which is used to steal the scrambled channels I believe. Anyway, I sold mine for $50 to a very happy pirate type, then took that $50 and bought a local Openbox S9. Best transaction I ever did. My worries ended over the troublesome Sonicview, and I've been enjoying FTA with the S9 for over a year. In your case, don't buy an S9, buy a microHD now that they are available.

I have been looking at the microHD since I saw your post yesterday and it looks really promising. Now I am looking for a Canadian seller for it. There is one in Montreal I think. When I bought the Sonicview I was really lost trying to decide on what might be a good receiver, and it was hard to tell just by looking at the reviews. Thanks for suggesting the microHD. I read here on Satguys a lot of issues with it and was happy to see the response from Satellite av.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)