Sonicview Firmware Motor Pointing Woes

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.
I believe I fit in your High Gain/High Noise catagory. The Standard LNB (Digiwave DGL-03S) that came with my dish is a 60 db gain, .3db noise, and can be had for the amazing price of about $8.99.

It was part of the "FTA Antenna Kit".

Do you recommend a better standard or standard/universal combo LNB?

Thanks!

I haven't seen a whole lot of difference in quality between the various LNBFs available for the Ku offset dishes. Where you see difference in quality is with LNBs for a BUD feedhorn. LNBs for big dishes can vary in price from $50 to many hundreds of dollars, however even with the more expensive LNBs, for the signals that most of us watch, the improved performance doesn't really result in a whole lot of difference with respect to what you can receive. What you do get is frequency and phase stability. Cheap lnbfs drift a lot in frequency. I have one cheap KUL1 lnbf that has a lot of gain, but it's frequency drifts over 5 MHz with temperature changes, which often makes it difficult to locate narrow (low SR) signals, but once you've found the signals, the channels play fine. My older big dish LNBs sometimes drifted up to 2 MHz, but usually were within 1 MHz. My newer LNBs are stable to about a tenth of a MHz, and even more expensive ones are stable to a fraction of that. But seldom does the extra cost result in being able to receive more channels. The cheap lnbf is probably just fine. I was just commenting on it because the different quality lnbs often give different S/Q readings, but it doesn't always mean anything with respect to what you can receive. Often, my more expensive LNBs give me worse S/Q readings than the cheap ones.

LNB

Interesting you mention frequency shift. Something I am noting is that whatever the baseline Signal Quality is, it will be that and "bounce" to 99. For example Tolo, on AMC5 (I think) baseline quality is in the mid 30s. But it will "bounce" to 99 and back...

And it seemed to me that the signals here are stronger at night. Could this be a temperature factor in the LNB, or the product of too many margaritas while setting the LNB?

Interesting you mention frequency shift. Something I am noting is that whatever the baseline Signal Quality is, it will be that and "bounce" to 99. For example Tolo, on AMC5 (I think) baseline quality is in the mid 30s. But it will "bounce" to 99 and back...

And it seemed to me that the signals here are stronger at night. Could this be a temperature factor in the LNB, or the product of too many margaritas while setting the LNB?

Re the bounce to 99, I've seen that a few times, and I don't know what causes that. I'm guessing it means a marginal signal and you're losing lock, getting it back, etc, but I don't know. On my Twinhan PC card receiver, if the freq drifts even a couple MHz, I completely lose lock, I'm guessing because it has a very tight tuning window, or perhaps the software doesn't try to search for it. With most of the STBs I have, plus my TT3200 PC card, if the frequency drifts, usually the receiver will follow the drift. Usually, the only problem I have is that if I'm trying to lock a narrow band transponder, and there is another similar signal nearby, it will often lock on the wrong transponder. This usually happens with those 3978 SR newsfeed s that are often quite close together, and/or those PBS scpc signals with 4444 SR values. When my KUL1 would drift, I'd generally lock onto the wrong transponder. But most receivers will tend to search for signals. With STBs, if I'm locked onto a newsfeed transponder, and it goes off line, often I'll see the signal go away, then the receiver searches for a while, then locks onto another newsfeed with the same parameters, but when I check the transponders out with my Twinhan, I'll see that it is locking on a signal that might be 10 or 12 MHz away, and receiving it just fine. My TT3200 even searches further than that. For example, I can be locked on a 4080H transponder with my BUD, then switch polarity to vertical while watching the transponder. I'll initially lose lock, then about 15-20 seconds later, it will be locked again on a 4060V transponder that has the same SR. The S/Q of the lock is pretty much the same even though the receiver is tuning 20 MHz off freq.
Anyway, with most receivers, once you lock a transponder, freq drift doesn't affect your ability to receive channels very much with most receivers. With my Twinhan though, I have to be right on freq, or reception will suffer.

Firmware Upgrade

I upgraded the firmware from SV dated 3/5/2009, and the "bouncing"signal has all but stopped, and the other "values" are very high now. But now I am getting what the other gus were mentioning, that when you leave "dish setup" mode, the dish takes off to the last channei it was viewing, and it will not "auto-drive" to the other channels.

The only way I can use the dish is to

1) lock the bird
2) turn off the motor
3) scan the bird
4) go to channel on bird
5) go BACK to setup, point the dish back to the bird
6) turn the motor off
7) take another hit of beer

If I do all these things at 97, I get 30-40 good quality channels, mostly from our middle eastern friends...

Any idea what's up with my motor/receiver relationship?

Hi all,

I upgraded my Sonicview Premier 360's firmware from SV dated 3/5/2009. But now I am getting what the other gus were mentioning, that when you leave "dish setup" mode, the dish takes off to the last channel it was viewing, and it will not "auto-drive" to the other channels.

1) lock the bird
2) turn off the motor
3) scan the bird
4) go to channel on bird
6) turn the motor off

If I do all these things at 97, I get 30-40 good quality channels, mostly from our middle eastern friends...

Any idea what's up with my motor/receiver relationship?

Joe,

Was the original software working ok? Can you re-install it?

These SonicViews are relly messed up! I don't even bother with mine as it won't pick up much and is such a pain just like you are describing.

RADAR

1) lock the bird
2) turn off the motor
3) scan the bird
4) go to channel on bird
6) turn the motor off

you're only taking one hit of beer after doing that? ;)

yep Tron...I've had a receiver like that where it wouldn't work nicely with a Diseqc switch and you had to power off and on all the time

That receiver is long gone :D

Joe,

Was the original software working ok? Can you re-install it?

These SonicViews are relly messed up! I don't even bother with mine as it won't pick up much and is such a pain just like you are describing.

RADAR

I do not know about saying that the Sonicviews in general are messed up because till my power supply went on my SV8000, it ran my SG2100 on my Geosatpro 90cm without flaws.

I do not know about saying that the Sonicviews in general are messed up because till my power supply went on my SV8000, it ran my SG2100 on my Geosatpro 90cm without flaws.

Vfrjim,

Not to mislead anyone, I wish to clarify that the problems I experienced were with the Sonic View 360 Premier and 360 Elite. I had never heard of any troubles with the Sonic View 8000 model and I don't own one of these, personally, so I cannot state one way or the other. Perhaps they corrected the bug with that model.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)