Sonicview SV-360 Elite PVR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flyingfrankie

Original poster
Dec 24, 2008
orlando
Here are some mayor issues I am having with this unit. I have e-mailed tech support and below is the cut and paste of the mails between them and me.
Please read this carefully if you are considering this unit! :eek: (I have deleted contact info and the name of techsupport personell) Mails are in sequence from top to bottom, so here we go:

Subject: pvr-360 elite

Hello, Frank here

Bought a pvr 360 elite in December from an authorized seller to watch Dutch BVN TV through amc4 sat. Very happy with it and easy to use. I use it with an external 200Gb hard drive but it recognizes only 127Gb on it (just like windows has problems with large drive recognition above 137Gb) all working fine, however couple of things I'd got stuck with:

-The system clock (the one which it displays). For some reason when I set the clock to my local time and leave it in the manual mode, it will vary greatly in a couple of day’s time. This week when I came back after 4 days it had advanced by 45 minutes or so! I am now trying to set it manually and then switch it to auto to see if it keeps the time or does the same thing. Where does it get its time from when in auto mode? Power or satellite? Or something else?

-We had a power outage last week and that stopped the receiver as well of course, but when it came back on, besides the "do you wish to stop all recordings?" message on screen it had lost the signal as a result that the transponder frequency had reset it self. Is that normal that is loses its satellite settings? I am now considering a power backup like the ones for a computer so that it will not affect it.

-Also to program an event it will not let you do that unless you have it in REC ON in the menu and then from there you change the times that you want it to record. It will not let you program the times and save them. It comes with the message (in bad English) that you have to fill in all time parameters. I want to record every day from 1200a to 1200p for example. It will not let you do it. Some one pointed out that it maybe has 24hr format issues or 0000 vs. 1200 issues. But even if I want to record everyday one hour it will not let you save it. What is the problem here?

- I also tried the menu language change, since I speak a couple of other languages. However the majority of the entire menu's and on screen texts/reminders etc. remains in English and just a couple of words are changed!

So, all and all I have a nice box, which I find easy to navigate through but the time issue messes up my recording times and so does a loss of transponder frequency. Help! Thanks, Frank

SONICVIEW RESPONSE:

Subject: RE: pvr-360 elite

Frank,

Thank you for the input.

We are aware that the clock keeps imperfect time. As you have found, it is sometimes necessary to go in and make an adjustment. If the satellite you are receiving were broadcasting EPG data, then the receiver would be kept in time by that information. However, at this point most FTA satellites do not broadcast this information. We are looking forward to the future as improvements are being made all the time in the world of FTA satellite TV.

Regarding recording a program on a regular basis, this function is not working at this time. It has been brought to our attention that there are some glitches with some of the advanced PVR functions in this unit. We believe it is a software issue, and we will be working on a correction in the next version of the factory firmware.

Since I speak English only myself, I was not aware that the language in the Menu is not accurate. We haven't heard of this problem before, so this is interesting information.

Thank you for the e-mail and we apologize for any inconvenience. Hopefully, future software upgrades as well as improved satellite data transmission will correct some of the issues you are experiencing.

My response to sonicview:

Thanks for getting back on these issues. I'm just surprised (disappointed) that you sell these units specifically marketed towards the FTA crowd knowingly having these critical issues. I have a strong electronics background and would like to be kept informed and keep you informed about my findings and results with the box.

This week I have set it up with a small APG power back-up unit. It is a 15-minute model (for computers) but do not know how long it will keep the sat. box powered in case of prolonged power outage. My main objective is to keep it going in case of very short power drops which would otherwise loose the transponder info. Funny enough previously (without power back up), it did keep the event timer info (I record BVN TV from 12am -12pm) but the transponder info was gone and with that the sat signal.

Also I have now a 400Gb portable hard drive that gets powered thru the USB port. Low powered which is beneficial for the power back up. It did recognize it right away and also for the full 400Gb. So my previous problem with the recognition of the hard drive size is not from the sat box. It recorded fine so far. I am just wondering what you guys mean with the 2 different formats for formatting hard drives (ext2 (for recording) vs. fat32 (for data)).
I am able to record on the hard drive after having it formatted in either formats. Does that have to do with the ability to play it back on my computer since you display the files with a windows media player symbol? My computer does not recognize the .trp file extension. (some sort of mpeg-2)

As far as the clock goes, I have set it manually to the current time but then change it to auto mode and has run on time for 2 days although the AMC-4 does not have the epg data with BVN-TV. So far no 1 1/2 hr differences. That is an issue that is unacceptable if you call this a PVR and customers want to program recordings. The power companies send time signals over the 110V grid that are used by the so-called auto-set alarm clocks etc. This kind of electronics could be integrated in your PVR box.

What is the current firmware version and when does the next one come out? The foreign languages in the menu options are not necessarily inaccurate but mainly still in English.

FRANK

Many FTA boxes won't keep proper time unless you tune to a guide regularly. The Pansat 2500 and 2700 immediately come to mind, and there are plenty others. In fact, boxes that hold accurate time are probably in the minority :eek:...

The Visionsat IV-200 (which is also a PVR-ready unit) keeps accurate time, and there are a few other, newer boxes that do. All PVR ready boxes SHOULD, and that is definitely an issue that needs addressing. Unfortunately, many manufacturers cater only to the eye-patch gang...

I have a Visionsat and keep the time set to manual. It is generally pretty accurate.

I haven't tried this in over six months so you would have to try it but I have found channels on G18 that allow you to automatically set the time. If I remember correctly there are also channels which will automatically set the time to the wrong time (a number of hours off).

Anyone know which channels you can use to update the time and which to avoid?

The Visionsat IV-200 (which is also a PVR-ready unit) keeps accurate time, and there are a few other, newer boxes that do. All PVR ready boxes SHOULD, and that is definitely an issue that needs addressing. Unfortunately, many manufacturers cater only to the eye-patch gang...

most satellite channels they don't care about the time (for obvious reasons). I know most recently the Equity TP 12114 was real close on time if you leave it on there

My Coolsat 5000 even if on manual will still jump to a different time so its interesting to see it show "03:44 with a date of January 12, 1956" when it locks on a feed

One channel (or group) that does keep accurate time is the Bob Jones group on AMC15. They are spot on and I leave the Quali-TV on there when I'm done to get the time back to normal (the Q automatically changes to whatever time the channel I'm on is set to)

Thanks for the post, can you tell me if you can see the recoded files in your computer

thanks

Here are some mayor issues I am having with this unit. I have e-mailed tech support and below is the cut and paste of the mails between them and me.
Please read this carefully if you are considering this unit! :eek: (I have deleted contact info and the name of techsupport personell) Mails are in sequence from top to bottom, so here we go:

Subject: pvr-360 elite

Hello, Frank here

Bought a pvr 360 elite in December from an authorized seller to watch Dutch BVN TV through amc4 sat. Very happy with it and easy to use. I use it with an external 200Gb hard drive but it recognizes only 127Gb on it (just like windows has problems with large drive recognition above 137Gb) all working fine, however couple of things I'd got stuck with:

-The system clock (the one which it displays). For some reason when I set the clock to my local time and leave it in the manual mode, it will vary greatly in a couple of day’s time. This week when I came back after 4 days it had advanced by 45 minutes or so! I am now trying to set it manually and then switch it to auto to see if it keeps the time or does the same thing. Where does it get its time from when in auto mode? Power or satellite? Or something else?

-We had a power outage last week and that stopped the receiver as well of course, but when it came back on, besides the "do you wish to stop all recordings?" message on screen it had lost the signal as a result that the transponder frequency had reset it self. Is that normal that is loses its satellite settings? I am now considering a power backup like the ones for a computer so that it will not affect it.

-Also to program an event it will not let you do that unless you have it in REC ON in the menu and then from there you change the times that you want it to record. It will not let you program the times and save them. It comes with the message (in bad English) that you have to fill in all time parameters. I want to record every day from 1200a to 1200p for example. It will not let you do it. Some one pointed out that it maybe has 24hr format issues or 0000 vs. 1200 issues. But even if I want to record everyday one hour it will not let you save it. What is the problem here?

- I also tried the menu language change, since I speak a couple of other languages. However the majority of the entire menu's and on screen texts/reminders etc. remains in English and just a couple of words are changed!

So, all and all I have a nice box, which I find easy to navigate through but the time issue messes up my recording times and so does a loss of transponder frequency. Help! Thanks, Frank

SONICVIEW RESPONSE:

Subject: RE: pvr-360 elite

Frank,

Thank you for the input.

We are aware that the clock keeps imperfect time. As you have found, it is sometimes necessary to go in and make an adjustment. If the satellite you are receiving were broadcasting EPG data, then the receiver would be kept in time by that information. However, at this point most FTA satellites do not broadcast this information. We are looking forward to the future as improvements are being made all the time in the world of FTA satellite TV.

Regarding recording a program on a regular basis, this function is not working at this time. It has been brought to our attention that there are some glitches with some of the advanced PVR functions in this unit. We believe it is a software issue, and we will be working on a correction in the next version of the factory firmware.

Since I speak English only myself, I was not aware that the language in the Menu is not accurate. We haven't heard of this problem before, so this is interesting information.

Thank you for the e-mail and we apologize for any inconvenience. Hopefully, future software upgrades as well as improved satellite data transmission will correct some of the issues you are experiencing.

My response to sonicview:

Thanks for getting back on these issues. I'm just surprised (disappointed) that you sell these units specifically marketed towards the FTA crowd knowingly having these critical issues. I have a strong electronics background and would like to be kept informed and keep you informed about my findings and results with the box.

This week I have set it up with a small APG power back-up unit. It is a 15-minute model (for computers) but do not know how long it will keep the sat. box powered in case of prolonged power outage. My main objective is to keep it going in case of very short power drops which would otherwise loose the transponder info. Funny enough previously (without power back up), it did keep the event timer info (I record BVN TV from 12am -12pm) but the transponder info was gone and with that the sat signal.

Also I have now a 400Gb portable hard drive that gets powered thru the USB port. Low powered which is beneficial for the power back up. It did recognize it right away and also for the full 400Gb. So my previous problem with the recognition of the hard drive size is not from the sat box. It recorded fine so far. I am just wondering what you guys mean with the 2 different formats for formatting hard drives (ext2 (for recording) vs. fat32 (for data)).
I am able to record on the hard drive after having it formatted in either formats. Does that have to do with the ability to play it back on my computer since you display the files with a windows media player symbol? My computer does not recognize the .trp file extension. (some sort of mpeg-2)

As far as the clock goes, I have set it manually to the current time but then change it to auto mode and has run on time for 2 days although the AMC-4 does not have the epg data with BVN-TV. So far no 1 1/2 hr differences. That is an issue that is unacceptable if you call this a PVR and customers want to program recordings. The power companies send time signals over the 110V grid that are used by the so-called auto-set alarm clocks etc. This kind of electronics could be integrated in your PVR box.

What is the current firmware version and when does the next one come out? The foreign languages in the menu options are not necessarily inaccurate but mainly still in English.

FRANK

Recorded files on computer

This might be actually be a new subject I guess, but seeing the files is also a problem. my one portable usb drive is actually 500GB records flawlessly and since the PVR formats the drive in the "for recording" partition the windows xp computer does not directly see it. If you go into the disk management (Start>mycomputer rightclick>manage) it will come up as a unrecognized HD. Did not even see it as a hoppy label any more that had .trp files on it that showed previously.
The Pvr will also let you format in fat32 as well ,so i'll have to try that but I think win xp does not recognise large fat32 drives and I'll have to use another program to see it.:)tux: I heard that linux which I dont use has something.....)
The other portable powered HD is now partitioned and formatted and is fully 200Gb again and also seen as that size by the PVR.
Another problem I have is that it seems unable to just delete a recorded program. I can only format the whole drive to empty it. Any suggestions?:confused:

BTW: The time has been keeping great for 2 weeks now after once set in manual and then kept on auto with that powerbackup box.

Last edited:
Be careful with using a PC to alter the contents (create or delete files) on a PVR drive, as this causes serious problems with the drive's file system when used with Visionsats and possibly other PVRs as well. Reading the drive is fine; Writing is a big no-no...

The Pvr will also let you format in fat32 as well ,so i'll have to try that but I think win xp does not recognise large fat32 drives and I'll have to use another program to see it.
It may be possible that some FAT32 formats are difficult for some programs to read.
However, I use FAT32 with a 500gb drive on my FTA PVR.
Windows 2000 and Windows XP read the USB drive just fine.

I thought there was a major problem at one time, if you deleted files off the drive with your computer.
A complete restart of the receiver may get the drive properly recognized in some cases.
However, I don't trust what the receiver might do if Windows leaves files in its trash can...
So, be very careful doing anything other than reading the videos with your computer.

I am new to Sat. field. Can someone explain, if a user suppose to set local time for recording a channel broadcasting from a different time zone? Will the Sat box convert local time to that channel time to auto start recording? If a channel carries time info, is it a local time or the channel's country & time zone time? If I want to record 2 channels simultaneously, should I setup time for each based on their separate time zones & time sinc signals?

It is all based on your stb time.it's no different than a VCR just a bit more buttons to push.My 360 E holds time perfect but I dont use the pvr funtion.(yet).If you can see it in the guide it will record it at the time it shows in the guide.i nkow it works as friend has one also and seen it work.

The Pvr will also let you format in fat32 as well ,so i'll have to try that but I think win xp does not recognise large fat32 drives and I'll have to use another program to see it.:)tux: I heard that linux which I dont use has something.....)
The other portable powered HD is now partitioned and formatted and is fully 200Gb again and also seen as that size by the PVR.
Another problem I have is that it seems unable to just delete a recorded program. I can only format the whole drive to empty it.
- Will the PVR recognize the whole large drive, if you format it with your PC as FAT32?
- Does it recognize every partition separately in drives having several FAT32 PC formatted partitions?
- Can you format it with several partitions via the PVR - in what format?
- Do you know, what the difference is btw FAT32 and "Recording" PVR formats, and how it affects the user: can record more staff, faster search, long file names fully readable, etc.?
- Can you see long file names in FAT32 or "Recording" format formatted by the PVR?
- What the support responded on failure to delete recorded programs from HD?

I'm thinking of buying this Receiver, it is very popular, so your detail answers are appreciated.

If you can see it in the guide it will record it at the time it shows in the guide.
Does its Guide show your local time for each channel, or it shows the channel time zone or own time for some channels? It sounds from your answer that the Receiver should follow separately the time signal from each channel you set to record, and they may be different. I've used a PVR with Cable TV, but all cable channels are time sinced coming retransmitted from a single local source.

Last edited:
- Will the PVR recognize the whole large drive, if you format it with your PC as FAT32?
- Does it recognize every partition separately in drives having several FAT32 PC formatted partitions?
- Can you format it with several partitions via the PVR - in what format?
- Do you know, what the difference is btw FAT32 and "Recording" PVR formats, and how it affects the user: can record more staff, faster search, long file names fully readable, etc.?
- Can you see long file names in FAT32 or "Recording" format formatted by the PVR?
- What the support responded on failure to delete recorded programs from HD?

I'm thinking of buying this Receiver, it is very popular, so your detail answers are appreciated.

Well here's my opinion:
I'm very happy with the menu lay out, it is very instinctive. Price is right. However there are major issues with this box when it comes to programming your recordings. read my several posts. it has 2 tuners and will record 2 channels if thats what you want . I also had time issues but it seems to keep time ok now. i have a computer powerbackup so it will keep power for a bit and keeps the settings. it will loose transponder settings that you set up once it loses power and you'll have to reprogram the box. it is unable to program a recording that you want for everyday (daily mode) from its menu . i found a way around it and since keep recording my 1 channel every day for 12 hrs. then watch the bits i want. my channel comes thru amc4 sat and that sat has no program info epg data big drawback for my uses. also sends no time signal to keep sat box up to date according iceman. i dont know which sat you're going to use and if it has time signal and epg data for you to use. It also will not let you delete just one recording. you can only reformat your drive to empty it to create space....
sonicview is aware of these issues the emailed me and are working on firmware updates. their tech support responds pretty fast by email however the issues have not been resolved sofar.... :(. keep in mind you have to purchase a hard drive seperately for recording it is not a box with a build in hard drive! I have been unable sofar to extract my recordings to my laptop for viewing on the road....
now for the formatting etc.
-the pvr will format the drive in either fat 32 or ext2 mode (the difference being that the latter mode is more advanced but tech support never explained the exact differences between the modes)
-it recognises all the drives i have used sofar and the whole total drive size.
-you do not format on your computer.
-havent used a drive that i partitioned in more partitions to see if it recognises it.

hope this helps

Last edited:
I would use FAT32 for formatting the drive if reading the files on a PC is important...

The Pansat 9200 seems to use a 3rd party file system that Windows has trouble recognizing, and the EXT2 file system is one I've never heard of...

flyingfrankie
Can you fully see long file names (recorded programs titles) in FAT32 or "Recording" format on the PVR? How a list of recorded programs look like - similar to a program guide with each show details?

Well live and learn I guess. Found out that it lets you choose between FAT32 and rec2 options for recording as a pvr. with Fat32 selected it will put .trp files on your drive/stick. the .trp files can be played with GOMplayer and works great. Only one thing the GOMplayer has to be selected to all (files) and therefore it will play everything alse as well that used to play with WMP/realplayer/itunes/quicktime. So you'll have to watch that and reselect/associate the other files types with your previous selction. So that 's that problem solved!

Many FTA boxes won't keep proper time unless you tune to a guide regularly. In fact, boxes that hold accurate time are probably in the minority :eek:...

I am thankful to be one of those "minority" groups! AZbox and Coolsat 5K keep time once set. Coolsat needs a new update, however. If you utilize GMT time, there is no option to select the offset (I assume it is meant to do this automatically via TP signal, but it doesn't work that way with FTA).

I will submit a bug report.

RADAR

(FTAFirmware for Coolsat)

radar you do know this thread was from January ;)

Yes, I understand it is an old thread revisited. But, it got me to thinking as I was just resetting the clock on my CS 5K yesterday when installing the recent upgrade. I never really thought much about it over the years, but I never cared for the way that the clock operated or at least the set-up method, even though it does keep accurate time.

I wish it had a menu for setting the GMT offset. With the new Coolsat firmware support site we can request updates for our nice boxes! I think I will ask for this perk.

RADAR

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts