sonicview sv1000 question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

snickles

Original poster
Dec 15, 2006
hi,
i am thinking of getting the sonicview sv1000 but want to know if i actually can get free tv on c, b and ku band ? Also, i noticed that it comes with the diseqc switch and wondered if i need to connect this to an outside antenna or ??? if so, i have an old dishnetwork dish 500, will it work with this sv1000? Could someone explain to me what i need to do? i want to watch tv on my tv not the computer monitor, so what is the null cable actually for?

Thanks,

snickles

Your dish500 is not going to get you much. You need at least a 30inch dish and linear lnb for most FTA. What are you looking to watch?

hi,
i am thinking of getting the sonicview sv1000 but want to know if i actually can get free tv on c, b and ku band ? Also, i noticed that it comes with the diseqc switch and wondered if i need to connect this to an outside antenna or ??? if so, i have an old dishnetwork dish 500, will it work with this sv1000? Could someone explain to me what i need to do? i want to watch tv on my tv not the computer monitor, so what is the null cable actually for?

Thanks,

snickles

The null cable is for software upgrades.

You will get very litle FTA (if any) with the Dish 500 mostly radio and maybe NASA TV

You will get nothing on C

I assume you are talking about legal reception here - nothing else is acceptable discussion.

You will need an appropriate size dish; 79" or more to get good Ku signal

You will need a dish 7 feet or larger and a diffent LNB for C band

Hi,
Thanks for the responses. I am very new to this FTA, I bumped into it on the Internet. I have been paying for satellite services for years but would rather try a free service. I am still not sure of what type of dish/satellite to get, so any advice on a few reasonable ones would also be appreciated.

I am curious about the person mentioninng legal, because I did not know any of these issues I spoke on were illegal. Please tell me what I said that could have even implied illegal? The DishNetwork satellite is mine, as I purchased it years ago and I was hoping to be able to still use it with my own setup. I also have another Dish from DirectTV which I laso purchased, what size dish is this one (20", 30" or...?). If this one cannot be used either, then please someone point me to where I can get a reasonable yet effective dish in which i can receive Ku, B and C band (I found a list on the Internet of various stations that the C band covered).

Also, is it possible to also watch some of the showtime and HBO type channels as well, because the sites I went to that advertise about the sonicview led me to believe that it is able to get many channels, such as these to view. I never actually thought that any of this was illegal, so now I am a little concerned.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

snickles

Receiving signals only becomes illegal is when encrypted channels are viewed by unauthorized, hacked equipment. The receivers themselves are not illegal until they are modified to receive pay programming, which is what the sites you were referring to are apparently doing if they mention HBO. True FTA is the reception of satellite signals that are unencrypted, or In The Clear. As such, you will not get anything like premium channels or subscription-type programming.

Most FTA signals are not meant for the public, but rather for other broadcasters and cable operators. There are some local network affiliates, and plenty of foreign and religious channels. Many of us are into this hobby to pick up news feeds.

The reason your Dish Network and DirecTV dishes will not work is that they are too small and have the wrong LNB(s) (the signals we are receiving require a 30 inch dish or larger and a linear Ku LNB). For C band, you will need at least a six foot dish and C-band LNB.

Last edited:
Hi again,
So I must be misunderstanding what I am reading, but is it that I will not get all of the channels listed under C band, whether I have the correct size dish or not? Because I observed on this site for instance all the channels that C Band covered and now I am suspecting that I will only get particular channels with the receiver that I purchase. And I know nothing about hacking so need to worry about me performing any illegal moves in this reagard. For clarification, could someone just look at this list of C Band Channels that I thought I would have access to because they were listed under C Band for which my receiver is suppose to cover and tell me, either "yes" i will get all of the channels or "no" i will not?

http://www.programsource.com/page.php?id=20

After the last post, I am now believing that FTA may not be the right move for me and again, much thanks to everyone.

snickles

Hi again,
So I must be misunderstanding what I am reading, but is it that I will not get all of the channels listed under C band, whether I have the correct size dish or not? Because I observed on this site for instance all the channels that C Band covered and now I am suspecting that I will only get particular channels with the receiver that I purchase. And I know nothing about hacking so need to worry about me performing any illegal moves in this reagard. For clarification, could someone just look at this list of C Band Channels that I thought I would have access to because they were listed under C Band for which my receiver is suppose to cover and tell me, either "yes" i will get all of the channels or "no" i will not?

http://www.programsource.com/page.php?id=20

After the last post, I am now believing that FTA may not be the right move for me and again, much thanks to everyone.

snickles
Nope, those are pay channels and require a subscription to receive. The C band stuff on that website are pay channels that require a 4DTV receiver that has a built-in descrambler and requires a subscription, just like Dish or DTV. If you are wanting programming like HBO , A&E, etc. you'll have to pay for it. The only real use for your dish & dtv dishes would be to receive a few audio channels NASA and Angel Broadcasting (religous channel) available on one of the Dish sats. Those are not scrambled (yet) and can be viewed with FTA equipment legally.
As was mentioned earlier, they are too small to receive other Ku band sats, that have some unscrambled programming on them. Those sats are much lower powered , therefore, the reason for the suggested larger dish. ( I'd add a motor to it if you get interested) There is a lot of stuff that you can receive with a FTA receiver, a 31" or larger dish and a motor to move it. It's just not what you would be used to coming from Dish or DTV. There are some network channels viewable.
(FOX being one I am interested in) Also, PBS ( including an HD channel) and some channels that show old programs like TVLand on Dish(WhiteSprings TV) and even a movie channel (GNF TV) that shows older movies. And then there's the sports feeds you can find on weekends. Lots of interesting things.
So, if any of that might interest you, then think about giving it a try.
I don't know how well the Sonicview will work for regular FTA. But, I can tell you that you can purchase a very nice receiver for less that works great with FTA and a motor setup. (check out the site sponsers for details)
Good luck on whatever you decide.
grusome

Hi,
I don't know how well the Sonicview will work for regular FTA. But, I can tell you that you can purchase a very nice receiver for less that works great with FTA and a motor setup. (check out the site sponsers for details)

Please excuse my unknowledgeability, but i am new to this forum and FTA, is this site sponsers area with reasonable and quality receivers on this forum somewhere? Can you help me out and provide me with a link, because navigating thru everything is taking me a bit of time.

TIA.

snickles

At the top of the page, under the name SatelliteGuys, you will find 2 rows of sponsers, the 3 that come to mind as having FTA receivers are gosatellite, Sadoun, and SatelliteAV. And if I'm not mistaken, the DishStore has recently started selling FTA receivers (I think). Check them all out. Good Luck!

Al

Status
Please reply by conversation.