Sony KV-34HS420 Picture Quality

bleeg10

Original poster
Sep 9, 2004
Hi this is my first time using this forum. I just purchased a Sony KV-34HS420 widescreen with all the monster cables galore. I am currently using the DVR 522 receiver, and have plugged it into the tv using a coaxel cable. My problem is that when I try to watch TV, the images look pixelated, like they have been stretched. I tried changing the "mode" from full, to zoom, to full zoom, but it doesn't look crisp. I even tried using the 4:3 mode but its just not look good enough. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Trying to watch standard definition programming on a widescreen HDTV. That's the case with HDTVs. They upconvert the signal from 480i to 1080i which is their native resolution.

bleeg10 said:
Hi this is my first time using this forum. I just purchased a Sony KV-34HS420 widescreen with all the monster cables galore. I am currently using the DVR 522 receiver, and have plugged it into the tv using a coaxel cable. My problem is that when I try to watch TV, the images look pixelated, like they have been stretched. I tried changing the "mode" from full, to zoom, to full zoom, but it doesn't look crisp. I even tried using the 4:3 mode but its just not look good enough. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

bleeg10: Welcome!

The first thing to change is to connect the 522 to your tv via S-video instead of coax. Next get or rent a calibration DVD (Avia, Digital Video Essentials) and adjust the set properly. These will help but probably not eliminate some of your image problems.

NightRyder

bleeg10 said:

Hi bleeg10. In my experiences in the past testing Sony HD tube TV's with Dish Network SD signals, I've noticed similar pixelation issues which were troubling to my eye. 3 years ago, I had a 36" XBR400 Sony model for a few days before I took it back and opted for something from another manufacturer. Seemed the built-in DRC circuitry made a real mess out of SD pictures which was way more pronounced then what you typically witness with a similar set from Toshiba for example. I've looked at the model you currently own recently at places like Best Buy, Circuit City, and Tweeter and seen similar pixellation issues with it while displaying both cable and satellite SD signals through varying cable hookups. HD looks superb on these sets, but for some reason SD just doesn't look all that great compared with other TV's in similar surroundings to my eye.

I just got this same tv a few weeks ago and these are my suggestions. I have a dish 510 hooked up with s-video to tv, have standard picture setting adjusted using one of the starz off air test pattern signals with sharpness about 1/4 up from its off position, picture looks very good to me with this set up. I also have a dish 811 hooked up to component video on tv and have noticed hd looks exellent but sd looks better on the dish 510

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)