Sony Responds to PS3 Elite Rumor

LOBO2999

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Apr 1, 2004
Cumming, GA
Yesterday McWhertor broke the news that Sony had made some recent and very interesting filings with the Federal Communications Commission.

Specifically, the filing makes mention of a new Playstation 3 model with an 80GB hard disk. This seems to line up with rumors we've heard of Ken Kutaragi pushing the idea of a PS3 with a much larger hard drive.

Since we posted the story very late last night, I didn't have a chance to ping Sony on this until today. Here's their official response:

As mentioned when we made the product announcement for PS3, the system will have different configurations (thus, 60GB HDD with memory card slots and Wi-Fi and 20GB HDD without memory card slots or Wi-Fi both exists). Application to the FCC has been made with various possibilities in mind, however, it does not lead to a new product announcement at this time.
Oooooh, that sure as hell isn't a denial. I think we can expect at least one more model for the PS3 down the line, and it makes sense. Why not have a buffet of options when you go console shopping. Though if the new model just has a bigger hard drive, I think most people would opt to upgrade their own, something very doable with the PS3. Brian Crecente

Sony Working On PS3 "Elite" Model? [Kotaku]

http://kotaku.com/gaming/top/sony-responds-to-ps3-elite-rumor-248144.php

golfclap, this thread makes me lawl..we all knew there was going to be a newer ps3....but i dubt it will be within the next 3-5 years.
Trust me...they need to get their sales up before they release a newer version.
I dubt the newer ps3 will have something nicer ...all its going to have is probably a bigger HDD...

I think the new ps3 is going to dump the bluray drive and maybe something else to get the ps3 in the $300-400 price tag. Sony needs to drop the price of the ps3 for the less fortunate.

How could they drop the Blu-ray drive when the software is distributed on Blu-ray? And the ubiquity of the Blu-ray with the PS3 helping drive the current 3 to 1 sales ratio of Blu-ray over HD-DVD?

The "less fortunate" can buy Wii - or do without. It's a game console, not food.

How could they drop the Blu-ray drive when the software is distributed on Blu-ray? And the ubiquity of the Blu-ray with the PS3 helping drive the current 3 to 1 sales ratio of Blu-ray over HD-DVD?

The "less fortunate" can buy Wii - or do without. It's a game console, not food.

qft

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts