Sony STB for Voom?

rtt2 said:
VOOM is using Digicipher II right now. The problem also with Motorola satellite boxes is that they have a battery in them that will only last for about 10-15 years. The battery is part of the Digicipher II encryption technology. Replacing this battery involves taking out the mother board and soldering on a new battery. The operation can cost hundreds of dollars and is not covered by the warranty.
I dont think this will matter much since the HD receivers that we are using right now wont last 10-15 years....neither will our tv sets!!!! By that time we will be looking back at these receivers and laughing.
I like and dislike the guide that the Moto receiver has.....I like the way you could just press info on the remote and then go right to see what is on next. What I dont like is that a half hour could take up the whole screen...if you arent looking at the time , you could get very confused. A show could start in 2 mins and the current show will take up the whole screen, if you dont look at the time you would swear that the next show begins in an hour.

rtt2 wrote:
> When the DVR comes out the content will be encrypted using NDS encription technology onto the Hard Drive. <

Do you know why this is? It sounds as if even if they do wind up with Firewire on the DVR box that they won't let content out of the box... just like all the other Sat providers. Or is this just for content flagged CopyOnce?

- Tim

We have been told and even Wilt has stated that they want to push firewire through the DVR. Whether V* will be the first to do it, it remains to be seen.

From Wilt in an e-mail to me:

We're currently using Motorola, will likely, when we move to MPEG 4 change to another vendor--I won't say right now--and they're performing pretty well overall.

Has anyone here been able to get cable TV to run through the Voom box by coxial in and component out? I'm sure I'm dreaming that would work.