Sony Wega TV power up Question...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cativo

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Dec 9, 2005
Hey to all!

So, on my way out to work this morning I went to turn on my TV (Sony Wega FD/Model # KV-36XBR450) and I heard the normal deguassing sound and some audio, but no picture and then the TV turned off. Tried several times, but no picture. Tried to unplug the TV from the power strip and replug it in about 20 seconds later, but still no picture. I did notice that the standby light is blinking, so I would assume that means something. Just trying to get some facts before going home tonight and dealing with it. The TV is about 3 years old and in great shape. I watched TV all day yesterday with no problems.

Anyone have any hunches or things I can check tonight? I am thinking about unplugging the TV from the power strip and see if plugging it directly to the wall helps. Though this is a pretty expensive power strip (Monster-$200 one). Othere then that, now sure???

I have a Sony Wega as well (rear projection LCD) and my manual states that when you have a black screen and a red-blinking light shows up, then your bulb has burned out and needs to be replaced.

I suggest you check your manual to verify this and see how to replace it. If you don't have the manual handy, then you can download it from Sony's website.

PS... Love your Avatar!!!

The blinking has a meaning. I do not remember right now but if you look on your user manual it can tell you wether it could a serious problem or simple solution as to replace the light bulb. Do you still have the users manual? If not I can check for you tonight what it says.

jbcheshire... beat me to it.... It is probably a light bulb replacement. Did you ever change the light bulb? Three years sounds about right for a replacement depending your viewing habits.

Bulb?

Its a tube TV, not projection??? Is there a bulb in there?

That is a good question...
If I were you, I'd check my manual and then call their support number to see what they have to say.. Their website may even have some Q&A stuff regarding your tv model...

Cool

I looked that manual online, and it is pretty basic. Bascially, is it plugged in? Yes, good, No? Plugi t in. LOL....

There is not a bulb in a tube TV. I would leave the TV unplugged for longer than 20 sec. Try overnight, it couldn't hurt.

Hmmmmm...Ok

Maybe this will reset the TV?

Ok, so I tried

I left it unplugged over night and still no picture, but I do have sound. The TV does show 4 blinks of the STDBY led in the front of the TV. I am sure that is some tye of trouble code, but have not been able to locate what that code means.

Any help?

I googled your tv and it appears that you have a known problem with those TVs, something to do with a memory(?) board that has to be replaced.

Here is one site I found people discussing this issue and where one person actually fixed his own tv for around $30. He even included the parts and instructions...
http://www.pechorin.com/m/2003/08/29/I_have_a_5_year_old_Sony_Trintron_that_suddenly_died_I_susp-203548-20.html

So, you might be able to have it fixed pretty cheaply if you know someone that won't try to take advantage of you... Good luck!!

sounds like the TV died on you. do you have any warranty left on the TV? If not, I will suggest you to contact Sony and get an authorized repair technician closer to you that can fix it. Could be power board damaged and nothing you can do but to ask for a qualified technician.

Repaired...

Sorry, its taken me a while to reply to this post. I fixed the TV. It required a new D-Board. I had to take the TV apart, order a new D-Board from an online parts store and replaced. Back up and running. Though, I am going to sell this TV as I fear I may have to do this again in four to five years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts