Sony Working to Refine PS3 Price

riffjim4069

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Apr 7, 2004
SatelliteGuystonfieldville, U.S.A.
Source

A drop in the PlayStation 3's price point has been the subject of much talk lately, and Sony boss, Howard Stringer recently discussed the possibility of a price cut with the Financial Times. During the interview, Stringer admitted that he knew there was "no question" that the "public would like the cost to be lower" and said that Sony is currently working to "refine" the price of the console.

Stringer also promised that Sony will be coming up with a solution to the price issue by the end of this year- when asked by his interviewer if Sony will "come up with an answer by Christmas", he answered, "Yes, of course." This is probably due to the fact that Stringer expects PlayStation 3 sales to pick up during the holiday season.

During the interview, Stringer also talked about rival console, the Nintendo Wii, and said that the reason for its success is a "very good business model", although he did not see both consoles as true competitors, but more "complementary and supplementary".

Full Story

$399 for a PS3 60GB and $449 for a PS3 120GB would be a nice price for the holidays.

I agree, cause a $100 price cut won't help move that system IMO, especially if MS drops the 360 price.

They say they are not competitiors, and to an extent I agree, but that is just pure spin. Wii has such a wider appeal, if my son (not a parent yet) wanted a console, I'm getting him a Wii, not a PS3. For the PS3, they are still trying to penetrate a core market, and not the larger wider appeal that the Wii has become so successful at selling to.

If you ask me, Sony also needs something to compete with Xbox Live.

If you ask me, Sony also needs something to compete with Xbox Live.
Yeah, Xbox Live worked well in helping the original Xbox beat the PS2, not.
It hasn't even lifted the 360 over the PS2.

Unfortunately the live service only appeals to a sub-set of gamers.

Free online gaming, is even better than xbox live.

yeap it could be free, but better? I don't think so. I pay my $60 year without hesitation every year, $60 or so, that an average of $5 per month. This means that I can expect the service to be better, and frequent upgrades. How 'bout the cost to maintain those servers? With the free service the company will get mo ney twice, on the console and games sales, the "live" will keep the inflow of money, so they can make it even better.

I had such a great time playing Forza 2 last night, the $60 a year charge didn't even cross my mind.

On the other hand, the PS2 price drop will be great, the format war is really bothering me so it will me nice to have Blue Ray.

Xbox live didnt do much for me for the money, I guess i didnt play the online games enough. I guess I will hold judgement on teh PS3 online until I get up and running... was going to get it next week, but with the looming price cut, I think I will hold tight. Looks the Sony's Prez broke a major retailing rule, dont tell people you might cut the price, as it will stop sales dead.

Xbox Live is what has kept me playing games, and the fact that I belong to a mature gaming group. I don't like much of the single player games.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)