Sony's next big PS4 software update is coming April 30th

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Lots of complaint about not being able to play CDs. I don't get it. I did that exactly once on the PS3 and that was just to try it. And I have had the PS3 since the 80G Fat backwards compatible one that came with Motorstorm. So that is a long time.

until they add backward capabilities I won't even consider ps4 til after price drops and many more games available that aren't on ps3. Not having the ability to play cd/dvd and PS3 games on PS4 was a SCHIT move and symbolistic of Corp. greed.

Last edited:
until they add backward capabilities I won't even consider ps4 til after price drops and many more games available that aren't on ps3.

I don't think they are going to add backwards compatibility so you might be waiting a while. They are trying to launch their Playstation Now rental service for PS1/PS2/PS3 games. If they just built backwards compatibility into the system for free it would undercut their rental service that they can actually make money on.

I would like to be able to play my PS3 games on my PS4. That would let me retire the PS3 and have one less box under my TV. I don't think that's ever coming though. I have seen multiple articles on IGN and other sites showing that most people don't use backwards compatibility outside of the launch window. It is always a big thing people talk about at launch but in the end most people will choose PS4 games on their new PS4 over PS3 games.

If the launch PS4s didn't have backwards compatibility built in, when people might actually use it, I doubt a new PS4 model a couple years from now will. There is a reason that launch PS3s had it when all the newer models didn't. It adds additional required hardware to a system they are trying to make as small as possible and it adds additional expense. If most people aren't going to use it those two concessions aren't worth it to them. Plus they can make more money selling re-releases and Playstation Now rentals if they don't build in backwards compatibility.

I still have plenty of free PS Plus games on the PS3 that keeps it plugged in for me. I still want to play Uncharted 2, Uncharted 3, the rest of The Walking Dead Season 2, and Dark Souls 2 so until I'm done with those my PS3 stays in the entertainment center alongside the PS4. Sure it would be nice to be able to play all my games on one system but as long as you already have a PS3 backwards compatibility isn't as big of a deal.

Lots of complaint about not being able to play CDs. I don't get it. I did that exactly once on the PS3 and that was just to try it. And I have had the PS3 since the 80G Fat backwards compatible one that came with Motorstorm. So that is a long time.
Your experience isn't the same as everyone else's. Hell I haven't used my game device as a CD Player since the late 90s when some PS1 games would be coded to where audio was on tracks 2+, so while you were playing the game you could swap out the disc and put in an audio one and it would play those tracks. I have fond memories to rocking out to Smashing Pumpkins while playing Twisted Metal. Still, it is messed up that Sony didn't include the ability to play CDs. I can't imagine such a thing was hard to implement, and even though many of us haven't used CDs in a LONG time, some still use their gaming systems with their entertainment centers, so if you have your PS4 hooked up to your Kenwood or whatever and you can't listen to your CDs off of it but you can watch Gravity 3D on your Blu Ray component on... oh wait you can't do that either...

TL;DR: People expect their new top of the line systems to do all the same things as their old ones did (aside from play their games)

TL;DR: People expect their new top of the line systems to do all the same things as their old ones did (aside from play their games)

^This. I know I probably said this before in an earlier thread on the PS4, but it boggles the mind that the PS4 can't do a basic function that any other piece of electronics with an optical disc drive can do, some costing less than $25. The PS3 offers exceptional audio quality for CD playback (better than an old DVD player in HT set up), so when I'd rather get the best sound (as opposed to streaming ripped CDs in compressed MP3 format from my PC or from a USB drive, which the PS4 can't do either), I still put a CD in. It's actually faster for me to grab the CD off a nearby rack in my living room than scroll through scores of folders from my PC. And if I have my PS3 set to auto-disc play, it's instant gratification.

I have a few other reasons for not getting a PS4 yet (PS3/Vita backlog, limited number of games for PS4, initial cost, etc.), so I can't say its limited audio playback features are a deal breaker, but it's definitely in the back of my mind.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts