Soon to be Dish-HD subscriber in need of help

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

olfenite

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 6, 2008
Hi.

I am new to all of this and the terminology, so if I make a mistake or type something that is not clear, I apologize.

I was on Dish's website, I found it confusing and not giving me answers that I needed. I was even more confused when I came here and I found out all the packages are changing names and there are going to be price increases.

I will soon be upgrading and subscribe to Dish-HD. I am a current Dish Network subscriber. The reason to start subscribing is 1) my home now has a majority in HDTVs instead of SDTVs, and 2) my locals (Abilene, TX) are starting to be picked up by Dish in HD. My household is a family of 4, and there are 4 televisions that are hooked to Dish. I have two receivers, one is regular and the other is DVR.

I now have 3 HDTVs (1 in 1080P, 2 in 720P) and 1 SDTV. I would preferably like to have all the HDTV showing their picture in HD. Furthermore, I was hoping that 2 HDTVs could have DVR, which can be shared if possible.

I need to know what equipment I need to look into purchasing. I also need to know if Dish Network has any kind of plan for a long time subscriber to get get the new equipment cheaper with a new contract.

The part that makes me most nervous is wondering what I can expect the monthly bill to be like? I expect to subscribe to the top 250 plus Turbo HD Gold because my family enjoys Versus, Nat Geo, Hallmark, and Encore,, and I would also like to subscribe to Starz, which is my favorite movie package. I'd like it in HD, but I can't even figure out their website to see if it is even available.

So, how bad will the bill be? What do I specifically tell them when I call them to upgrade and subscribe? Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

One HDTV and the SDTV can share a single receiver like the Vip222. It is just a receiver not a DVR. The Vip622 and Vip722 also support 1 HDTV and 1 SDTV but also have the DVR feature. They can also be used with a single HDTV allowing for picture in picture. The dual tuner Vip612 supports only 1 HDTV. The Vip211k is an HD receiver for one HDTV. It can be turned into a DVR by connecting an external hard disk and paying a one-time fee of $39. The 622, 722, and 612 incur a monthly DVR fee of $5.98. The 211k incurs no DVR fee.

For 2 HDTVs to share a DVR and both have HD, they must simultaneously share the same programming. If you want independent programming, you will need a HD receiver for each. Here's a possibility. Get a 622, 722, or 612 for one HDTV. Get a nonDVR 211k for another HDTV. Get a nonDVR 222 for another HDTV and the SDTV. The first receiver on the account is included in the package cost, but 2 additional receivers will be a $14 per month charge. If you subscribe to the Dish DVR Advantage (DDA) package which also includes locals, the DVR fee for the HDDVR is included. The DDA Classic Gold is $68. The Gold HD premium add-on is another $10. Starz is $10 because of multiple premiums. With paperless auto billing Cinemax is 1 cent. I think that's everything. There is no real financial advantage to buy your own receivers. The lease fee is $7 per month (the first receiver is not charged). If you buy your own, you are still charged a $7 additional receiver fee.

Currently there is a deal for existing subs to upgrade to HD, but it expires today (1/31/09). I have no idea what deals may be offered to existing subs beginning tomorrow.

There is no real financial advantage to buy your own receivers. The lease fee is $7 per month (the first receiver is not charged). If you buy your own, you are still charged a $7 additional receiver fee.

Currently there is a deal for existing subs to upgrade to HD, but it expires today (1/31/09). I have no idea what deals may be offered to existing subs beginning tomorrow.

Agreed about lease vs. owned. I would call TODAY and try to at least get a free 612, the current offer for existing subs. Dish allows up to four leased TUNERS, so ideally, you could have two 612s and a 622/722. This would serve all your TVs, all with recording abilities. ALSO, you would be able to share an external HD among these machines. YOU WOULD NOT be able to share with a 211 since the recording software is different.

Best to just call and test the waters. In the end, you will probably have to purchase a least one machine, probably another 612.

For the OP, I would shy away from the 612 for various reasons, the foremost being it won't do PIP/swap features.

Also, right now the 722 is the only box that will give you ALL VOD/Movies-on-Demand (same thing) in 1080i HD. 622 and 612 boxes are still stuck with VOD in SD only.

You may have heard of 1080p VOD, which IS available on 722/622 and 612. I have never seen more than one movie offered by Dish in 1080p at a time, and that has only been occasionally.

I now have 3 HDTVs (1 in 1080P, 2 in 720P) and 1 SDTV. I would preferably like to have all the HDTV showing their picture in HD. Furthermore, I was hoping that 2 HDTVs could have DVR, which can be shared if possible.

Hd on 3 TVs is gonna require 3 separate boxes right off the bat. There is no box that will output HD to more than one TV unless you want to watch the same thing on both by hooking one to hdmi and the other to component. I don't know if Dish has implemented sharing of harddrives via home ethernet network yet, someone else will hafta answer that. 722 box will output to 1 HD and 1 SD TV with ability to watch separate programs, however you lose PIP ability in this configuration known as "dual mode". Also it is my opinion that this is clunky because the 2nd TV has to be tuned to a certain channel that is set up by you and your installer, such as channel 69 for example. Plus, the connection is RF, which means it uses coax cable and just doesn't look so great. However it is doable.

I need to know what equipment I need to look into purchasing. I also need to know if Dish Network has any kind of plan for a long time subscriber to get get the new equipment cheaper with a new contract.

They should get you going with all equipment for free, especially if you are a long term preferred customer. If they don't, shame on them. There may be a charge for additional cabling if it is needed, but you are likely allready good there.

The part that makes me most nervous is wondering what I can expect the monthly bill to be like? I expect to subscribe to the top 250 plus Turbo HD Gold because my family enjoys Versus, Nat Geo, Hallmark, and Encore,, and I would also like to subscribe to Starz, which is my favorite movie package. I'd like it in HD, but I can't even figure out their website to see if it is even available.

Your best bet is to get the everything pack which includes HBO, Starz, Cinemax, Encore and Shotime. All of these are avail. in HD, most have multiple HD feeds. Dish charges a fee of $6 for each additional DVR which sucks. With the everything pack the additional DVR fees are waived.

So, how bad will the bill be? What do I specifically tell them when I call them to upgrade and subscribe? Your help is much appreciated. Thank you.

The bill will be high! Tell them just what you said here, i.e. 3 HD TVs with HD on each, 1 SD TV, etc. If you could tell us your location, there likely is someone here who could recommend a local retailer who probably will give much better service than dealing with Dish directly. If not, and you go through Dish, I have had best results by going to a technical support customer service rep.

Last edited:
As a current sub, you most definitely will NOT get all your equipment for free as stated above. Perhaps one receiver, the 612.

The bill will be high! Tell them just what you said here, i.e. 3 HD TVs with HD on each, 1 SD TV, etc. If you could tell us your location, there likely is someone here who could recommend a local retailer who probably will give much better service than dealing with Dish directly. If not, and you go through Dish, I have had best results by going to a technical support customer service rep.

I was scared that would be my answer. Unfortunately, Dish Network is my only option. I live out in the sticks (zip code: 76875) where the three choices for receiving national cable channels are Dish Network, Direct TV, or a really bad wireless cable company. I have a hard time pulling up analog locals through an outdoor antenna, let alone finding a cable provider.

While I could get Direct TV, It isn't an option because they don't carry my locals (Abilene, TX). As I said, Dish Network is the only option I have.

I'll call Dish or go to the tech support chat, I just don't especially like doing that because from my experience with them, they'll tell you it is one price and when the bill comes, it is something entirely different. Thanks.

I currently have two SD dual room receivers but I'm switching to Dish Network HD Once they install the HD receiver I will have one HD and one SD dual room receiver on my account. I currently subscribe to Dish Networks AEP Classic for $99/month so I guess my question is will I get USA in HD along with USA in SD as part as the AEP package or do I need to subscribe to another package to get the HD counterparts ?

The woman on the phone mentioned something along the lines of AEP Classic + HD Platinum for $10 a month after my first 3 free months of Platinum HD and that would give me everything I currently have in HD and SD (everything that is currently available.

One other possibility, but it's using more equipment that is not Dishes (although actually Echostar's).

If you put a slingcatcher on each of your HDTV's (Sling Media - SlingCatcher), you can have HD content streamed from a ViP 722. All you'd also need is a Slingbox Pro with the HD connect cable, or the Slingbox Pro HD. Besides your DVR, you can also then stream to your other HDTV's any other video device you might have in your home theater. However it'd only be 1080i or 720P sources using HD component inputs and not HDMI connections. You could also then watch it anywhere else in the "world" due to the Slingbox able to stream anywhere on the internet.

In addition, the Slingcatchers will also be able to be used with a future "Sling" version of the the Dish HD DVR. The slingbox devices will still have resale value if and when you'd upgrade to that model.

This way you have the following:

1 ViP 722 DVR (1 HD output, 1 SD output) that can support your HDTV next to the receiver and use Coax to your SD set.

1 Slingbox Pro with HD connect cable or Slingbox Pro HD.

2 Slingcatchers for the two other HDTV's.

Unlike additional Dish DVRs, you' have to face having a single HD source shared to the three HDTV's, however the SlingCatcher has a 60minute buffer so viewers at the other sets could still pause the stream up to 60 minutes while the others are still watching.

Cost'll be higher as you'd be purchasing gear that isn't part of the promotion.

Possible PRO, as the Sling HD DVR is not in production/shipping equipment, but that you'll already have the SlingCatchers to take advantage of that system. However, might DIsh "lease" slingcatchers for customers of that new DVR in the future for multi-set viewing?

It's a risk if based on the speculation of that new DVR, but is really cool if you are using it for the current technology capabilities. In addition, Sling is doing a "beta" of the Slingguide (http://www.slingmedia.com/go/slingguide) that will even allow you to remotely control your exisiting ViP 722 receiver to setup shows to record, etc. If you have the Slingbox, you can also watch it over the internet using that website.

Alright, I'm doing my research and I found this builder thing on the Dish site. Anyone know what I'm talking about? How reliable is it?

A reminder, here is my situation:
3 HDTVs, 1 1080p, 2 720p
1 SDTV
2 DVRs, each on a HDTV
Locals required
Not a new subscriber

Here's what it says according to my specifications:
Monthly Fees
Classic Silver 200:
$48.39​
GoldHD:
$10.33​
Classic Gold 250 BONUS PAK:
$10.33​
Abilene, TX local channels:
$5.00​
Starz:
$10.34​
HD DVR Solo Receiver Fee:
$12.00​
Dish Network DVR Service Fee:
$4.60​
HD Duo Receiver Fee:
$7.00​
Dish Home Protection Fee:
$5.00​
TOTAL:
$112.99​

After Tax, it is $122.31.

Guys, that is only $10-ish more than I am paying right now, and I'm adding a 2nd DVR and HD access. That can't be right, can it?

Keep in mind, DishBuilder is for new customers. I used it when I set up my folks with good results. However, as an existing customer it may not be reliable for you.

Once again, for existing subs, I highly recommend you call and talk to a tech. support CSR for best results. My experience has been that they have the most power to make you happy, even more than regular CSR supervisors. Hope it all works out good for you!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts