Soon to be DTV owner needs advice on install/equip and billing

Status
Please reply by conversation.

insaneoctane

Original poster
Apr 26, 2012
SoCal
Several questions...take a shot by number if you're kind and informative!

EQUIPMENT
1. I want to cover 4 TVs. Currently 2 of them are SD, but might upgrade them in the future. I'm considering this:
A. Media Center DVR, 3 HD receivers -or-​

B. Media Center DVR, 1 HD DVR, 2 receivers​
Choice A was my initial thought, but when I realized I wouldn't be able to pause live TV, I came up with B. I also thought B was a good choice because it seems I get better equipment for the install, because B requires 9-tuner support, which would likely be a SWM-16 vs SWM-8. It seems like the value of the more expandable install/switch equipment justifies the extra $99 plus I get to pause live TV on that set. It doesn't appear to cost me any more monthly

Any comments about my conclusion that choice B is better?
INSTALLATION
2. I want a super clean install. I'm coming to the conclusion that I ought to do the cable drops ahead of time. Most of the cabling is already done, but I'm most concerned about my downstairs installation. That's where I'd want the Media Center DVR and I don't think I've got RG6 there. There is pre-existing wiring that works for Digital cable (probably RG-59 and I don't know if it terminates in the attic- it probably doesn't). I'm in SoCal, so slab foundation means all must come from above. I've dropped 2 cat5 wires to this location and it sucked. Unfortunately, I didn't drop any RG6 lines at all. But, I do NOT want the installer to punch out through the wall to the outside and run the cable up the house into the attic. If my expectation is to have fished wall wires, I'm assuming I should have them ready to go? RG6 is the right stuff, correct?

INSTALLATION
3. I've got cat5 runs to my router at all locations, but I only need 1 correct?

BILLING
4. Pricing is heavily discounted 1st year. Lightly discounted 2nd year. I can't seem to have anyone from DTV tell me what "regular" pricing is and what my bill will be for my 3rd year (out of contract). What should I expect to happen in the 3rd year once I've fullfilled my contract? Do I have to switch back to cable to get them to give me a discount? I don't know how to plan for my costs at 3rd+ year. FYI- I'm probably doing the 205 channel pkg and don't need HBO/Cinemax, etc

EQUIPMENT
5. Here's a nerdy question...regarding SWM-8 vs SWM-16. What's the power consumption difference between these two? Is it significant and worth considering, or insignificant. I think I read the SWM-16 was 24V at 2.1A...that's 50W running 24/7. In SoCal where I'm paying up to $0.31 kWh it matters!

Any advice for a potential new customer is appreciated...Thanks for reading!

The cable fishing is going to cost you extra if you have the tech do it. So if you can run it yourself i would recommend that, yes RG6 is correct, there are different types of RG6 that are compatible with the connectors the tech is going to bring. So i can't promise you he will be able to use the Rg6 that you run.
As far as the Cat5 cable, you only need one, mainly for the HMC or HDDVR. You are not going to hook this cable up directly, there is a special connection kit. There is a wired one and wireless. I would strongly recommend wired.
Billing- Your price in the 3rd year is going to be based on what package you have. Here are the rates for the packages.
54.99 for Entertainment
63.99 for Choice
68.99 for Choice Extra
74.99 for Choice ultimate
119 for premier
You will be paying $10 once a month for HD access (unless you are getting an offer for that free with auto bill pay, if they are still doing that.)
8 a month for DVR service
3 a month for Whole Home
---OR---
Since you are brand new they will most likely just put 20$ for all three services, saving you a DOLLAR!! Yay
Then you will be paying 6$ a month for each receiver --Minus-$6 (You dont pay 6$ for the first receiver on the account)
Sorry but i don't know the specifics on power usage of the Swim 8 VS the Swim 16.

I hope that helps out. let us know if you have any other questions.

Hello insaneoctane,

Choice B makes a SWM16 guaranteed but as to the equipment provided you never know what you are going to get with the exception of an HMC (only HR34) or an H25 receiver. The chances are good that you might get an HR24 DVR with a H24 and/or H25 receivers but it depends what the installer(s) have on the truck that day. If you go with choice A I would still ask for a SWM16 as you will not need to upgrade if you add any more hardware (DVR's or receivers). As for electrical usage I know that SoCal is very expensive but DirecTV equipment is not what I would call an energy hog and when people have tested the equipment both while being used and with the units in a standby mode there was no appreciable power difference reported. Good luck and happy viewing.

Anyone regarding #1?

Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk

Personally, if you could swing the deal, or they work with you.

I would get the Media center (because you want it, I would not get one yet, just my opinion though).
And get 3 HD DVR's. (hopefully 24's, any make).(make that ONLY 24's)

DVR's fee wise is a one fee p/m not a separate one for each one like Dish, so, once you paying the DVR fee, theres really no sense in NOT having them all be DVR's, IF you can afford the initial cost.

Hello insaneoctane,

Choice B makes a SWM16 guaranteed but as to the equipment provided you never know what you are going to get with the exception of an HMC (only HR34) or an H25 receiver. The chances are good that you might get an HR24 DVR with a H24 and/or H25 receivers but it depends what the installer(s) have on the truck that day. If you go with choice A I would still ask for a SWM16 as you will not need to upgrade if you add any more hardware (DVR's or receivers). As for electrical usage I know that SoCal is very expensive but DirecTV equipment is not what I would call an energy hog and when people have tested the equipment both while being used and with the units in a standby mode there was no appreciable power difference reported. Good luck and happy viewing.

I doubt they would give him a SWM 16, if he doesn't have over 8 tuners initially.

Jimbo said:
I doubt they would give him a SWM 16, if he doesn't have over 8 tuners initially.

They won't. If he wants the SWM16 just for future upgrades he will need to order it himself and install it. Directv just won't install it unless you need it at the time of install. If they did it would cost them tons of money. $200 for just the switch PLUS install it all for free? That's not going to happen

They won't. If he wants the SWM16 just for future upgrades he will need to order it himself and install it. Directv just won't install it unless you need it at the time of install. If they did it would cost them tons of money. $200 for just the switch PLUS install it all for free? That's not going to happen

Question for you then..
If the sub does get a SWM 8 (eight tuners on the account) and calls in at a later date to add a recvr, will they change out the SWM8 to a SWM 16 for free ? He would technically NEED the larger one at that time.

Jimbo said:
Question for you then..
If the sub does get a SWM 8 (eight tuners on the account) and calls in at a later date to add a recvr, will they change out the SWM8 to a SWM 16 for free ? He would technically NEED the larger one at that time.

Yeppers! As of now though unless he plans on getting international programming he will only get a 8-way SWM splitter not a SWM8

Jimbo said:
Gotcha ...
Much difference ?
I prefer the 8 way, all runs run to the same location behind my Home Theatre set up.

The 8-way only requires the normal 21-volt power supply with a standard SWM LNB and 1 line. A SWM8 requires 4 lines off the dish with a 29-volt power supply. It still only runs 8 tuners but it lets somebody with MRV to have international programming. In a nut shell it's a SWM16 minus 8 tuners

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)