Soon to be New Customer Questions

Status
Please reply by conversation.

TheFuzzyPenguin

Original poster
Sep 4, 2012
United States
Hi All,

I've been lurking these forums since before making the choice to sign up for Dish over 3 years ago, but just recently signed up because I had a few questions that I knew someone here could answer for me! I was about ready to switch to DTV after losing AMC, then signed up here once I lost my local CBS affiliate, and now that Big Ten is gone now as well I'm finally fed up enough that I'm going to make the switch.

So, onto the questions if someone wouldn't mind helping me out :)

From what I've looked at, I think I can use the same roof mount/mast that I have with Dish with DTV as well - is that correct? I don't want more holes drilled into the garage roof, and it's on the wrong side of the house to have a pole mount anywhere close, so it's pretty big for me if I can. I also may be moving in the next few months (if it wasn't for the recent Dish channel losses I'd just wait until then to switch) - do they have a free mover plan like Dish does or will I have to pay a fee to move the dish and have the new wires ran (and if so how much)?

I've decided on the Choice Ultimate plan and would like the Whole Room DVR service on 4 HDTVs, with two of those TVs being able to pause live TV without hitting record first. I should get 1 HMC, 1 HD DVR, and 2 HD Receivers, right?

I have AAA but also have CenturyLink DSL. When I call the AAA # to sign up do I tell them that to get the additional $5 off a month for having CenturyLink, or do I just call the normal DTV # after signing up and give them the Refer A Friend code and let them know I have CenturyLink at the same time?

Thanks in advance for all the help - I've already learned so much just lurking in the background!

:welcome to SatelliteGuys!!

A couple I don't know on but to answer some..

No you can't use the Dish mount for D*.. The D* Slimline dish uses a larger mast and foot, and it also has two outrigger braces to make it rock solid. Basically they'll take the mast off the old foot but leave the foot on the roof. This is for liability purposes. If you want to remove the foot you can do it yourself and tar over the holes, but honestly I just left mine up there rather than risk a leak.

The setup you propose is good for what you want as far as the receivers.. However that is a total of 9 tuners and a SWM dish will only support 8. I'm not sure but you might incur extra fees for the SWM16 equipment that you'll need. You will also have to pay for the second DVR.

They do have a mover program. They just require you to reup the contract and they give you whatever promo is going on at that time.

The discount stacking I'm not sure about but the popular concensus is that you call the AAA number first, then call a day later and do the refer-a-friend. Not sure about the century link.

But anyway welcome, youll enjoy it!

Sent from my Galaxy SII using some Tappity Talkity thing.

Thanks for the welcome ke4est, and for the info Matt.

That's kind of disheartening that I can't use the same mast (it looks identical without the outrigger bracers), but I can understand why it wouldn't be. Do you know if the non-penetrating roof mounts incur additional installation costs and if the dish stays pretty solid as well? The dish is in the corner of the house and garage and almost completely blocked from the wind.

I hadn't considered the SWM - if I can't get the SWM16 for free (not sure if people have had luck with that or not) then I'll probably cut the HD DRV down to an HD Receiver and live with having to hit record before pausing. It would cut the upfront cost down to $99 and even though it would max out the SWM8 I don't see ever needing more than that.

With the mover program, if I currently have any promos on my account will I be allowed to retain those promos, or would I be required to go to the new promos at that time?

Actually you may be able to use the same mast. Some Dish masts are 2", which is what Directv uses.

Dont say anything about Centurylink.....here is what you do (I have Centurylink formerly Qwest DSL too)

I forget how they do the AAA & referral on the same time. But once you get all set up and working THEN call Centurylink and tell them you want to bundle your directv. They will create an order to move it to them (basically what happens is instead of Directv billing you they bill Centurylink who then bills you) and you'll get the extra $5 off ontop of the existing promos/credits you have.

Only Centurylink can add the $5 credit but dont go through them directly....they cannot add the initial referral or the AAA credit. Additional referrals will show fine

Thanks for the welcome ke4est, and for the info Matt.

That's kind of disheartening that I can't use the same mast (it looks identical without the outrigger bracers), but I can understand why it wouldn't be. Do you know if the non-penetrating roof mounts incur additional installation costs and if the dish stays pretty solid as well? The dish is in the corner of the house and garage and almost completely blocked from the wind.

As Chip said, there's a chance it may be the right size.. I didn't realize Dish had some with larger masts. If you can reach it safely, measure the mast and see if it's 1 1/2" or 2". If it's 2" it can be reused. NPR mounts are not included in the install and you would have to pay for it and the cinderblocks (Around $75-100 last I remember). However they can only be used on a flat or very low pitch roof. Again, my suggestion would be just leave the old foot up there. It's not that obtrusive ;)

I hadn't considered the SWM - if I can't get the SWM16 for free (not sure if people have had luck with that or not) then I'll probably cut the HD DRV down to an HD Receiver and live with having to hit record before pausing. It would cut the upfront cost down to $99 and even though it would max out the SWM8 I don't see ever needing more than that.

Like I said I'm not positive. They may very well give you the dish equipment necessary to run all the receivers that you order. But I just wanted you to be aware that they may classify it as non-standard so there's a chance you would have to pay it. Personally I would not mention it while ordering, just tell them what receivers you want and see what they say. If they say good to go and then the installer shows up with a SWM8 and tries to bill you for a Slimline and SWM16, then you raise hell.

With the mover program, if I currently have any promos on my account will I be allowed to retain those promos, or would I be required to go to the new promos at that time?

AFAIK you retain 'the best value'. Example if you're getting the current deal which is $25/mo off your package + free Sunday Ticket, and when you move the deal is say, just $20 off your package + free Showtime for a year, you'd keep your current discounts and ST because they are better than the 'current offer at that time', plus (I believe) you'd get the credit for Showtime. In your case since it's only a few months between install and move, they would simply reset your contract to 2 years, it wouldn't extend another 2 years.

Last edited:
There is no such thing as a 1 and 1/2 inch mast. There is 1 and 5/8 (close to 1.66) and then there is 2 inch as stardust said.

But it is highly unlikely that it is a 2 inch. In a pinch, a resourceful subcontractor can modify up or down as needed. In house techs may get written up for creativity to meet the customers requests.

I think he's more concerned with the FOOT , not the mast. the foot is where the holes will come in.

Personally, I'd tar the old and place the new on top or next to it.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)