Soriano to the Cubs !

salsadancer,
Timm's comment was directed at Me, I bashed Soriano pretty badly because they call him an all-star, but an all-star in my book plays defense as well as hit.

You mean Ortiz can't be an all-star? (Look out, here come the Red Sox fans!)

Ortiz plays 1b better than Soriono plays anywhere.

If the owners are that stupid, how did they make all the money to offer these prima donnas? I agree that owners are stupid to offer anyone over 100 million dollars to play a sport. personally, I'm all in favor of a salary cap. No human being is worth that much money to hit, catch or throw a ball. My goodness, it's so ludicrous. People are doing important things on this planet and the people who make the most money are in entertainment. It says so much about how skewed our priorities are. I love it when the athlete argues that 50 or 60 million isn't enough. Makes me want to vomit. :neener

My father-in-law has stated that sports and society in general has lost ALL respect for money. I mean I will ALWAYS support players over owners ANY DAY of the week....because it is the owners who are either too stupid to offer or too stupid to agree! If I was offered 1 million for what I do, I would NOT say no...and neither would anyone else.

If the owners are that stupid, how did they make all the money to offer these prima donnas? I agree that owners are stupid to offer anyone over 100 million dollars to play a sport. personally, I'm all in favor of a salary cap. No human being is worth that much money to hit, catch or throw a ball. My goodness, it's so ludicrous. People are doing important things on this planet and the people who make the most money are in entertainment. It says so much about how skewed our priorities are. I love it when the athlete argues that 50 or 60 million isn't enough. Makes me want to vomit. :neener

But you are not looking at it in the proper perspective. IF you were considered THE BEST plummer in the city of Tulsa....and some other plummer was making $80000 a year and was NOT considered as good as you....then you would demand to be paid more because you are considered better than the highest paid plummer. And remember, players do go telling their agents for a specific amount...they want the BEST DEAL available....period. Look, owners, other than George Steinbrenner are CONSTANTLY crying poverty...then they turn around and they give Soriano $139 million or a HALF PLAYER like Ortiz $17 million a year! And it is WAY too late for a salary cap...MLB owners tried that once...they were found guilty of collusion.
This whole salary thing happened when MLB signed the 1st BIG TV contract...after that, it was all down hill.

I gave my opinion of a baseball salary cap in another thread, but many didn't like it.
I'll try to be fair.

Salary CAP 170 Million
Minimum Cap 50 Million

Nothing higher, no luxury tax to accomadate mr. big bucks, thats his way to get around the salary cap, I'll donate to the poor.

Nothing Lower, If you can't afford at least 50 million, you have till January 1st to SELL your team so someone else can have the team, before spring training.

I know the Yankees are at probably 220 million, tough luck, get down to 170 by April 1st.

Jimbo

I gave my opinion of a baseball salary cap in another thread, but many didn't like it.
I'll try to be fair.

Salary CAP 170 Million
Minimum Cap 50 Million

Nothing higher, no luxury tax to accomadate mr. big bucks, thats his way to get around the salary cap, I'll donate to the poor.

Nothing Lower, If you can't afford at least 50 million, you have till January 1st to SELL your team so someone else can have the team, before spring training.

I know the Yankees are at probably 220 million, tough luck, get down to 170 by April 1st.

Jimbo

Jimbo....I would be ALL FOR it.....but considering how lucrative those TV contracts are and all the egos.....it will never happen. Baseball needs a complete cleansing from top to bottom. The game I love more than any other has ALMOST become as dirty and sinister as professional boxing. I assure you that IF the government were to remove that that NO OTHER PROFESSIONAL SPORT have....that will wake the sh*t out of ALOT of owners and players.

Jimbo....I would be ALL FOR it.....but considering how lucrative those TV contracts are and all the egos.....it will never happen. Baseball needs a complete cleansing from top to bottom. The game I love more than any other has ALMOST become as dirty and sinister as professional boxing. I assure you that IF the government were to remove that that NO OTHER PROFESSIONAL SPORT have....that will wake the sh*t out of ALOT of owners and players.

I don't see where TV contract would make a difference, other than them saving money.
Players Ego's will just have to take a hit and go with the flow.
If you cannot fit your player under tha salary cap, well then they need to re negotiate to get there. This would save the owners alot of money and maybe fans would benefit and be able to afford to go to a game or two.
And beers would not have to be $ 8 for a 20 oz glass.

BTW, the commish would NOT be paid by the owners either.
Not sure how were gonna pay the poor commish just yet, maybe from the TV contracts.

Jimbo

I think this is a reflection of just whats wrong with the Cubs. 136 million dollars? The combined salary of the 2 league MVP's is only 700,000 dollars! It takes NO, ZERO, expertise in talent to go out and buy Soriano. It does take expertise to evaluate and pick up a player that is not a superstar YET and save millions of dollars. The CUBs dont get it. The Yankees have proven that just buying expensive players does not a World Series bring to you anymore.

Jimbo, the price to go to a game and beer are set by what the local market is willing to pay. Lowering costs (players salaries) wont lower the cost of tickets or beer. Did the cost of a hockey game go down after the salary cap? Not in Detroit, thats for sure. This is basic supply and demand economics.

Did the cost of a hockey game go down after the salary cap? Not in Detroit, thats for sure. This is basic supply and demand economics.
NO, but the cost of a BEER definatly went up when they signed Sergi Federov a while back, thanks to the Carolina owner (offer sheet Mr. Illich had to match)

Jimbo

Jimbo, the price to go to a game and beer are set by what the local market is willing to pay. Lowering costs (players salaries) wont lower the cost of tickets or beer. Did the cost of a hockey game go down after the salary cap? Not in Detroit, thats for sure. This is basic supply and demand economics.

in pittsburgh the prices are terrible for hockey.

A/B Level and Glass $90
A/B Level End Zones $90
C Level $80
C Level End Zones $80
D Level $55
E Balcony $45
Rear E Balcony $35
F Balcony $35

a family of four with middle income can't go to the games.
add prices for parking and concessions its ridiculous.

and the pirates, one of the cheapest franchises in baseball are expensive as well, but they don't spend money on players and they always lose.

only good thing was the cubs was worse than the pirates last year.:D

in pittsburgh the prices are terrible for hockey.

A/B Level and Glass $90
A/B Level End Zones $90
C Level $80
C Level End Zones $80
D Level $55
E Balcony $45
Rear E Balcony $35
F Balcony $35

a family of four with middle income can't go to the games.
add prices for parking and concessions its ridiculous.

and the pirates, one of the cheapest franchises in baseball are expensive as well, but they don't spend money on players and they always lose.

only good thing was the cubs was worse than the pirates last year.:D

The Red Wings are close to these prices for seats as well.
$ 85, 76, 54, 44, 27 and 22

Jimbo