Sorry, 1 more question about MLB Blackouts etc...

Status
Please reply by conversation.

FlyingJ

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Mar 19, 2005
Bexley, Ohio
Sorry about this, just want to make sure. I am in Columbus, Ohio have MLB EI. Looks as though I should get the Reds, Indians and Pirates on the RSN's. Does this mean that I do not need the silly sportspack to get those, so I am wasting my $12 a month until college football starts again (Have to watch my Penn State Football Story and Jo Pa's press conferences on the Pittsburgh FSN). Will turn it off if someone that knows for sure gives me the go ahead. Thanks!!

Sorry about this, just want to make sure. I am in Columbus, Ohio have MLB EI. Looks as though I should get the Reds, Indians and Pirates on the RSN's. Does this mean that I do not need the silly sportspack to get those, so I am wasting my $12 a month until college football starts again (Have to watch my Penn State Football Story and Jo Pa's press conferences on the Pittsburgh FSN). Will turn it off if someone that knows for sure gives me the go ahead. Thanks!!

Check here to be sure: http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/global/contentPageIF.jsp?assetId=P3000004

I'm in the Jackson TN area and Braves and Reds games are blacked out in the EI package and always have been even when I was with DISH. A couple of days ago, the Cubs vs Reds game was blacked out. But just to see what would happen, I went online and subscribed to the Sports Pak and instantly the game no longer blacked out! I thought that was strange. I have never been able to see a Reds game with EI before until I bought the Sports Pak. I wonder if that means if I keep the Sports Pak if the Reds and Braves (my supposed home teams) will no longer be blacked out? I guess time will tell. I'll pay an extra $10 a month to no longer have blackout problems.

If I read your post correctly; the Reds are considered one of your home teams? They have always been blacked out on MLB EI?

Which they should be because they are your home team and should be on either your local affiliate or your local RSN or RSN alternates. Which you should have been getting WITHOUT upgrading to the entire sports pack. Right?

Am I reading you correctly?

I'm in the Jackson TN area and Braves and Reds games are blacked out in the EI package and always have been even when I was with DISH. A couple of days ago, the Cubs vs Reds game was blacked out. But just to see what would happen, I went online and subscribed to the Sports Pak and instantly the game no longer blacked out! I thought that was strange. I have never been able to see a Reds game with EI before until I bought the Sports Pak. I wonder if that means if I keep the Sports Pak if the Reds and Braves (my supposed home teams) will no longer be blacked out? I guess time will tell. I'll pay an extra $10 a month to no longer have blackout problems.

Last edited:
Thats what I have always thought. But, seems that when checking the "home teams" on the D* site, Pittsburgh is included with one of the packages and not with the other. Hell, don't want to take any chances, guess junior will keep getting his pre game shows on FSN Pittsburgh. And yes, one of my three kids somehow became a Pirates fan. Big Phillies and Eagles fan here. The same kid loves the Tampa Bay Buccaneers. Always had a thing for Pirates, Arrrrrgh.

I've had this same thing happen. I am a Brewers fan who lives in Asheville, NC. They play the Reds 18 times a year. So I had been losing approximately 18 games in the Extra Innings package. This is considered Braves and Reds territory. I subscribed to the Sports Pack and then was able to watch Brewers-Reds games on the FSN South or FSN Midwest alternate channels (either a Nashville or an Indiana feed, as those would be the local commercials I would see). Until I subscribed to the Sports Pack, those games would always be blacked out.

Also seems like D* is not cutting off games as early as previously, so far this year anyway. I was able to watch the entire Brewers postgame last night, instead of the feed being cut off immediately after the game ended. Wonder how long that will last.

If I read your post correctly; the Reds are considered one of your home teams? They have always been blacked out on MLB EI?

Which they should be because they are your home team and should be on either your local affiliate or your local RSN or RSN alternates. Which you should have been getting WITHOUT upgrading to the entire sports pack. Right?

Am I reading you correctly?
From my other post on the MLB Blackouts thread:

I would think so but I was not getting any RSN's without the Sports Pak. I remember asking a CSR when I signed up for D* if I qualify for any "local" RSN's. They said I would only get FSN South. And with E* that's all I got. But according to D*s website, (and DISH's) the Reds and Braves are my "home teams". Therefore their games would be blacked out in EI. I don't follow either team. I follow the Cubs, Dodgers and Angels. I just know with E*, anytime the Cubs or Dodgers played the Reds or Braves, it was a blacked out game with EI. Like I said, all I know is when I purchased the Sports Pak, the Cubs vs Reds game was "unlocked" so to speak and I was able to see it (through EI and RSN). It makes no sense to me.

Since there seems to be two threads on the same basic issue, I will dup post this here and then stay in the other/original thread; here: http://www.satelliteguys.us/showthread.php?t=93607

What is your zip code and the package you had BEFORE?

I used 38301 for Jackson, TN (based on the OLD packages):

With any TOTAL CHOICE package: FSN South (Ch. 630)
# Atlanta Braves (SD Only)
# Memphis Grizzlies (SD Only)
# Nashville Predators (SD Only)

With any TOTAL CHOICE Premier package or any TOTAL CHOICE package plus SPORTS Pack you add to the above
FSN Cincinnati (Ch. 638)
# Cincinnati Reds (SD Only)
# Columbus Crew (SD Only)

I also live in Columbus and have had EI for three years. For local RSN I got FSN Ohio and got the Cincinnati and Cleveland games. We are also in the Pirates region, but the Pirate games were blacked out. I didn't get the Pittsburgh games until I paid for the $12 sports package. Then D* stopped blocking the Pittsburgh games for me.

I hope that helps.

Here in Pittsburgh, if I pay for the sports pack, I'll get Cavalier basketball.

With any TOTAL CHOICE® package:

FSN Pittsburgh (Ch. 628)
Pittsburgh Penguins (SD Only)
Pittsburgh Pirates (SD Only)

With any TOTAL CHOICE® Premier package or any TOTAL CHOICE® package plus SPORTS Pack, you also get:

FSN Pittsburgh (Ch. 628)
Pittsburgh Penguins (SD Only)
Pittsburgh Pirates (SD Only)

FSN Ohio (Ch. 637)
Cleveland Cavaliers (SD Only)

Yours might be the same.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts