Sorry...I know this is somewhere but I cannot find the topic...how 2 trick receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

akgarrett62

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Oct 24, 2008
Cookeville, TN
I just purchased a new SL5 dish off of Craigslist...but since I run off of Nashville market, I really only need the SL3 LNB "eye". But I really don't want to purchase a new LNB.

I have seen there is a way to trick your HD receiver to think you are using the SL3 LNB when you are actually using the SL5 LNB.

Please help.

Are you having a problem with your dish seeing 110/119? If not, then why does it matter?
As far as "tricking" it, sorry but there is no way to do this, other than you would have to make sure you keep both tuners on a 101 channel when you were not using it - otherwise, you'll start loosing prog guide info.

I KNOW this, because I already had this happen with a client - I ended up swapping out to a proper 3 LNB & everything is fine now.

I can't get LOS for 119, and you can't get a SL3 dish/LNB online besides retail like from Solid Signal...so I got the SL5 dish/LNB for a really good price.

You may have gotten a good price but now you have to figure out how to correctly install it so you can get the needed guide information.

You may have gotten a good price but now you have to figure out how to correctly install it so you can get the needed guide information.

+1 :up:

OP-sorry, but you're SOL - you're going to have to get a 3 LNB. Once you get it, it takes about 1 minute to swap the 5LNB you have now. Maybe you can sell the 5LNB on e-bay... ;)

Once you get it, it takes about 1 minute to swap the 5LNB you have now. Maybe you can sell the 5LNB on e-bay... ;)[/quote]

that makes sense. and i saw that the SL3 LNB is only like $30 from Solid Signal...prob wont get the SWM one, it's like $70 still.

SWM's are selling pretty low ... $35ish on ebay. If you can't find one that cheap, I can sell you one for that price.

Its better to go SWM unless you have legacy receivers.

Its better to go SWM unless you have legacy receivers.

Why??? You know, sometimes sticking with "tried & true" technology isn't a bad thing either. ;) Plus, you need to add in the cost of the special splitters, as well as needing the power supply for it - all of which you DON'T need with legacy.

Also, once you are up to 8 tuners on an SWM LNB, you're SOL on expanding it. With legacy LNB's, you CAN add a larger Ka switch that does 16 tuners.

If the OP ALREADY has all his lines run to his existing equipment, it would be FAR easier for him to just switch non-swm to non-swm & be done with it. (the K-I-S-S thing, you know...)

Also, even from my wholesaler's, the SWM LNB's are over double the price of a comparable non-SWM - but I DO now see on e-bay how cheap they are THERE; guess I need to buy from there instead... :rolleyes:

Why??? You know, sometimes sticking with "tried & true" technology isn't a bad thing either. ;) Plus, you need to add in the cost of the special splitters, as well as needing the power supply for it - all of which you DON'T need with legacy.

Also, once you are up to 8 tuners on an SWM LNB, you're SOL on expanding it. With legacy LNB's, you CAN add a larger Ka switch that does 16 tuners.

If the OP ALREADY has all his lines run to his existing equipment, it would be FAR easier for him to just switch non-swm to non-swm & be done with it. (the K-I-S-S thing, you know...)

Also, even from my wholesaler's, the SWM LNB's are over double the price of a comparable non-SWM - but I DO now see on e-bay how cheap they are THERE; guess I need to buy from there instead... :rolleyes:

Yeah I have two lines already run out to the dish. Although the SWM is sweet and I could remove one of the coax's, still the cost of the SWM is hard to swallow, and I have to get the PI as well.

I have no probs just going w/the SL3 LNB.

hey i live in nashville and have all kinds of equipment pm me and i will help you out

Go to Menu/Setup/Setup/Satellite/Repeat Sat Setup/Choose Slimline 3 (not SWM 3) and it will disable 110/119 programming on your box. Just verified so I know it still works.

Go to Menu/Setup/Setup/Satellite/Repeat Sat Setup/Choose Slimline 3 (not SWM 3) and it will disable 110/119 programming on your box. Just verified so I know it still works.

...so you're saying i can keep the 5LNB and just setup the receiver to SL3, and it will trick it w/o having to set to record 2 shows early in the morning so it pulls guide info from 101? that would be great!

But your guide WILL still eventually start messing up - but as long as you DON'T mind that, go for it... :rolleyes:

Here's the explanation why - don't have time to 'splain it myself:

Will I Still Need 110 & 119? - Page 2 - TiVo Community

I CAN vouch this WILL happen, as I descibed in my 1st post here....

Geeze, seems like a lot of hassle to me over paying $30 for a new LNB, but I guess that's me...

My Dad has a 5Lnb set up as a 3nb in the rec for 3 months now with zero guide issues. Anyways do as you please. the way I posted works with a 5lnb to remove 110/119 sats and move the guide data off the 119.

My Dad has a 5Lnb set up as a 3nb in the rec for 3 months now with zero guide issues. Anyways do as you please. the way I posted works with a 5lnb to remove 110/119 sats and move the guide data off the 119.
NO it does NOT do that. The SL3 and SL5 use different stack plans (the hardware is different), the SL3 has the guide coming from 101 when you are on any of the satellites and the SL5 has the guide coming from 101 when you are on 99/101 and from 119 when you are on 103/110/119. Telling your receiver you have an SL3 does not magically turn your SL5 into an SL3, all it does is remove 110 and 119 from the received satellite list.
Whether you set your dish type as an SL3 or an SL5, if you spend too long tuned to 103 channels the guide data WILL disappear if your dish is an SL5, as dishrich says. You need to make sure your receiver/DVR is regularly tuned to a channel from the 101 satellite.

Status
Please reply by conversation.