Sorry to say: VOOM's gotta go

Regarding reruns, what really irks me is shows like Crossing Jordan and CSI are being shown on Spike and other channels but they are shown in a 4:3 aspect ratio. I wouldn't mind watching a little SD if they'd stop butchering the shows.

DarrellP, I actually still argue with friends that buy DVDs in FullScreen and tell me that the quality is better and sharper than Widescreen. That the black bars "are annoying and I can't stand looking at them"... go figure. Another friend bought a RPTV HDTV that's 4:3 because he thought he wanted to see sports iN HD, but he didn't want to have sidebars when watching sports or having them stretched out.

He didn't know HD broadcasts are in 16x9.

Actually, Widescreen (enhanced) DVDs do not have as much resolution (when viewed on a 4x3 TV) and you can see it easily. I believe this is why some people hate widescreen dvds.

On the Voom side, the reason to have Voom or one of the D*'s is because the cable companies don't offer all channels in digital quality. The lower tier channels here are crap (2-78) even on the digital box and many don't have stereo sound. Only the digital offereings are high quality. I have often wondered why they can't find some method to rebroadcast the lower tier in digital quality when you use the digital box, but I guess it doesn't save anyh bandwidth. For example, my TNT (non-hd) channel looks dramatically better via Voom than it does via cable and it has stereo sound.
Another reason is that the cable company is using DD 2.0 for all of the digital channels (compression) to save bandwidth I get full PCM with Voom. :)

Lars said:
Actually, Widescreen (enhanced) DVDs do not have as much resolution (when viewed on a 4x3 TV) and you can see it easily. I believe this is why some people hate widescreen dvds.

Not true,there are 4x3 HD TVs that have a special 16x9 function so it shows the full resolution,but I just don't see why myself,I love my 2 16x9 Toshiba's.

Lars said:
A friend of mine has a Sony Wega 4:3 that has the Enhanced 16:9 mode so it effectively takes an Anamorphic disc and allocates all of the scan lines into the picture area, effectively raising the "apparent" resolution. It doesn't really increase it, it just squishes all of it down so it looks like more. It does look good though, but not nearly as good as my pj. :D Your friend screwed up bigtime. ;)

Dvlos said:
I guess it just depends on how you say things.. heh... CourtTV is one of those channels I used to watch a lot, especially forensic files.. man I would seriously do backflips down the driveway if Forensic files came in HD.

Well, we all say things different but clearly agree that we love HD.

I do love CTV but I need a on-screen CC for Henry Lee's new show, can't understand him at all. Must be fun to be a juror when he testifies.

Ahh.. haha Henry Lee's show isn't that bad he spokes slowly anyway... he is hard to understand but the guy is brilliant, him and the doctor from Autopsy (the HBO documentary series) are the best.

Dvlos said:
Ahh.. haha Henry Lee's show isn't that bad he spokes slowly anyway... he is hard to understand but the guy is brilliant, him and the doctor from Autopsy (the HBO documentary series) are the best.

Yeah, Dr. Baden I think is his name. They are both infamous here in LA for helping to set OJ free.

I think the night when I watched Henry- maybe he was just tired when they filmed that episode, I could not understand a single word, and I do think he's brilliant. Makes you wanna be a CSI.

Granted Henry Lee is human, so if he though OJ was innocent man.. that's crazy... but I think that with a pubic hair and a bubble gum wrapper Henry Lee could figure out who killed JFK.

I don't remember much abt the OJ trial. Did Lee ever give any opinion on OJ's guilt or innocence? He just testified on some scientific details right? The LAPD messed up a lot.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts