Original poster
Jul 4, 2006
38N 75W
Mercury II
CW600 (out on loan)
Invacom QPH-031
Fortec FC90
HH 100

On weekends I get some channels that have sound, but no picture. I can hear the engines but I don't see anything. The receiver doesn't say the channels are scrambled but I guess they must be.

When a receiver indicates a scrambled channel and says the type of scrambling that's being used does the receiver figure that out, or is the type of scrambling being used sent out with the signal and the receiver just displays what it is being told?

I'm not interested in stealing any scrambled channels but I was curious about these instances where there is sound but no picture, and no indication from the receiver that the channel is scrambled?

Pittsville said:
Mercury II
CW600 (out on loan)
Invacom QPH-031
Fortec FC90
HH 100

On weekends I get some channels that have sound, but no picture. I can hear the engines but I don't see anything. The receiver doesn't say the channels are scrambled but I guess they must be.

When a receiver indicates a scrambled channel and says the type of scrambling that's being used does the receiver figure that out, or is the type of scrambling being used sent out with the signal and the receiver just displays what it is being told?

I'm not interested in stealing any scrambled channels but I was curious about these instances where there is sound but no picture, and no indication from the receiver that the channel is scrambled?

What satellite and what channel are you on?

Pittsville said:
Mercury II
CW600 (out on loan)
Invacom QPH-031
Fortec FC90
HH 100

Its common for this to happen some channels may have scrambled video but the audio will not be scrambled!

May well have been a 4:2:2 feed, you will get sound but no video. I use the DVB World USB Box for 4:2:2 and HD with AC3 audio :)

To receive the sound for the PBS channels and any other channels that transmit the audio in AC3 format, you will need a receiver that outputs an AC3 signal.

Connect the receiver's AC3 output to a home audio system with AC3 decoding. Some receivers output audio on the AC3 only if the channel is transmitting AC3, while other receivers will provide audio out through the AC3 port for all audio types.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)