Sound Dropouts?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Greg Mueller

Munich Oktoberfest
Original poster
Mar 3, 2006
Datil, NM
I seem to get a fair amount of little audio dropouts. They only last a fraction of a second. If they made noise it would be a click, so that's how short it is.
I used optical Dolby output but switched it to regular cable see if that helped and it didn't

Anybody else get them?

Known problem that's been going on for a while. Only happens with the DD signal. Supposedly a fix is in the works for at least the 24 series. I think a lot of it has to do with the encoders. E* had a similar problem for a while.

S~

This is a big issue for me as well, I posted about it and the mods moved it to an existing thread in the tech forum:

http://www.satelliteguys.us/directv-technical-discussions/219261-sound-cuttin-out.html

You can fix it by going in the menu and selecting regular audio instead of digital, but then you defeat the purpose of having a digital capable surround sound, etc.

I also tried both the coaxial and optical audio cables with no success.

I have had the problem since the first HR20 came out and still have the problem with the HR24 I have. You think they would have fixed it my now. :mad::rant:

Wow, I thought this was just me....I have had the same thing with my HR20-700...but it only started happening in the last 6 months or so....

It amazes me why they can't fix the problem. I have yet to complain about it like many others I guess we just talk about it on forums or think its only happening to them.
I'm guessing only a quarter of the customers have home surround systems and experience it at all.(Does not happen with just a TV hook-up, it's there but so small, it goes unnoticed by most) Out of that quarter how many have actually complained?
Direct knows there is a problem so the fix must be so great they are not going to do anything about it. 4 months ago I came from Dish and they had no audio drop outs.
I'm going to call today and complain about it and have my dish realigned it could be part of the problem. Never mind rain fade, just a big thunder cloud and I'm losing signals on some channels, something I never experienced with Dish.

It does happen to people without using a surround sound system. I have HD receivers connected directly to TV sets and still hear the dropouts.

dropouts

same here on my hr-20 only when i use the DVR. Get on the ball directv!:mad:

What's really interesting about this is my 622 and 722 receivers did the same thing when I had Dish Network. I was looking for the problem to be going away once I switched to Direct, only to find it happening in the same way on the new HR24 receivers as well. It does seem to be limited to Dolby Digital broadcasts. I always seem to notice it on Showtime, HBO or one of the other premium channels which use a lot of Dolby Digital. It's an annoying short cut out of audio. Nothing you can't live with, but annoying to be sure. But the fact that I had the same exact problem with Dish makes me wonder if the recievers are the cause of this at all?

What's really interesting about this is my 622 and 722 receivers did the same thing when I had Dish Network. I was looking for the problem to be going away once I switched to Direct, only to find it happening in the same way on the new HR24 receivers as well. It does seem to be limited to Dolby Digital broadcasts. I always seem to notice it on Showtime, HBO or one of the other premium channels which use a lot of Dolby Digital. It's an annoying short cut out of audio. Nothing you can't live with, but annoying to be sure. But the fact that I had the same exact problem with Dish makes me wonder if the recievers are the cause of this at all?

For some reason I find this hard to believe. I was a Dish customer 9 years and had the 622 and 722's and never had a issue.Same surround sound setup the only thing that changed was Dish to Direct

Find me another thread that shows Dish was having audio drop out problems with HD broadcast.

For some reason I find this hard to believe. I was a Dish customer 9 years and had the 622 and 722's and never had a issue.Same surround sound setup the only thing that changed was Dish to Direct

Find me another thread that shows Dish was having audio drop out problems with HD broadcast.

They did. I was a software beta tester for several years and worked dierctly with the VP of engineering. They were able to correct it though, seems much faster than what D* is doing.

S~

Hard to believe? I promise you, I'm not making this up. We found it particularly prevelant while watching the last season of Dexter on Showtime, but that was by no means the only occurence of it. I tried numerous things like swapping out receivers, only to find they all did it. Switching from HDMI audio to optical, same problem.

BTW, a quick search revealed one lengthy thread over on the Dish Network forum titled "Audio Dropout Problem (722, 722K) ".

Called about sound dropouts

I called about the sound dropout problem a couple of days ago and the person I talked to said "Gee I thought that we fixed that". I told him that wasn't the case. He told me that there was nothing he could do except note the problem and send it to their engineers. He suggested that I don't get my sound using HDMI or optical cable. When I told him that would stop me from getting their digital surround sound he said there was nothing else that he could do and I would have to live with it until they find a way to fix it. I really don't think that they will do anything until it starts costing them customers. I used to have Dish Network and never had those sound problems. I must also say that the HD DVR that Dish has is much better than the one that Directv has. Directv's is very slow and clunky compared to Dish's DVR. Also I can't make a Directv DVR automatically switch channels to tune in different shows at different times at night. It just wants to record them. The only reason that I switched from Dish to Directv was because I had to have a second dish installed to get my local channels in HD. Now with this nasty sound problem I am starting to be sorry that I ever switched.

Im gonna bring this back up just to inquire if anything is being done about this problem? I read a rather lengthy discussion about this issue on another forum and it seems its not a big concern for the guys sending the bill every month. I have had several audio dropouts on things I have recorded. It ranges from things on Discovery to Showtime. I had zero of these problems until I switched to the HD. I havent noticed it on live tv, but I rarely watch live tv. I plan on going back to std service. I would rather have std def tv and audio vs audio that is cutting out every 3 minutes. I know people are gonna jump in and say well you should call them. Based on what Ive read, there have been more than enough calls and there really is no fix at the moment. Just wondering if anyone had any insight on this.
thanks

I dont know if I would call this a sound "Dropoff" but I am noticeing with my new HR24, sometimes when I turn off my tv and turn it back on, I have no volume, I have to to a reset of the reciever

I have not expericenced that, mine will just cut in and out. Right in the middle of a show or movie the sound will just quit or cut in and out for a few seconds. Sounds like a scratched CD. :rant: It got so bad last night I had to quit watching a movie I had recorded. I then went to watch a show I had recorded and the sound quit on that recording for a few seconds as well.

I dont know if I would call this a sound "Dropoff" but I am noticeing with my new HR24, sometimes when I turn off my tv and turn it back on, I have no volume, I have to to a reset of the reciever

I've seen that, but I just had to turn it and my AVR off, and then back on for a fix.

I have seen that three times this week with my new HR24-500, the HR24-100 has no problems. I just turn off the TV and receiver and turn it back on.

I'm starting to see a trend of issues reported on the 500, and not the 100. I just need to see if I can get mine swapped out, and maybe Ill get another model.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)