Sound drops out using Antenna

Walker1

Supporting Founder
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Jun 17, 2005
Hi, A few weeks ago I got my roof antenna hooked up to get 5 local chs. in HD. I have a VIP-722 HD Rec./DVR through Dish. I bought a small line amp from R-Shack and had all 5 signals coming in strongly. Nice picture, nice sound.

However, something strange is happening. I was watching Fox on Monday night and several times during the 1 hr. program the sound dropped out for about 2-3 seconds even though the picture was good. Tonight I was watching another show on NBC & the same thing happened again- twice I believe. It also happened a couple of times on the new CW ch.

The antenna is amped up on the roof & the other piece plugs in where the rec. is. The cable & amp piece screw into the DVR on a connection post for the antenna in the rear.

Is anyone experiencing this odd occurance? I have no idea why the sound drops out for short intervals. I run everything through my Yamaha 7.1 surround system receiver and it's fine. It also only happens when watching shows through the antenna in HD.

All feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.:confused:

Viai OTA we may need to know your DMA/zip so others in your area can verify if it is local or maybe specific to you; which my first guess is that it is, because you have it on multiple networks. What make/model of in-line amp? Can you try removing the amp and post the results?

Viai OTA we may need to know your DMA/zip so others in your area can verify if it is local or maybe specific to you; which my first guess is that it is, because you have it on multiple networks. What make/model of in-line amp? Can you try removing the amp and post the results?

Yes, The zip code is 33412-1771, Amp is Radio Shack in line- # 15-1170. I can disconnect the amp, but may not have a strong enough signal. Tomorrow I will do that & post the results.

Yes, The zip code is 33412-1771, Amp is Radio Shack in line- # 15-1170. I can disconnect the amp, but may not have a strong enough signal. Tomorrow I will do that & post the results.

Friday, 10/12/07 I disconnected the amp & the signals on the local chs. was not really affected. I usually watch Prison Break on Monday nights @ 8 PM on WFLX- ch. 29 in W. Palm Beach, FL where many of the dropouts have occurred. I will put on that ch. later today & see if anything occurs.

Prison Break will not be on next Monday due to a baseball game. The other ch. that had sropouts was ch. 5- WPTV, also in W. Palm Beach, FL. I generally watch a show on Wed. nights @ 9 PM on that ch.

Has anyone in this area encountered this problem with the locals?

Be sure to remove both parts of the amp, R/S amps are known to have high noise and can hurt more than help

Thanks, Yes, I did take out both parts & have returned the amp to RS as my signals were almost identical w/out the amp. I'll let you know the results after I can run Fox & NBC chs. for a time period.

Last night I was looking at a show on NBC- ch. 5 in W. Palm Beach. The sound dropped out 3 times but only for a split second. The amp had nothing to do with the dropouts. If ch. 29- Fox has Prison Break on Monday night I will check again for sound problems. Last Monday they had sports on so I haven't checked that ch.

What ant. do you have

I believe it's a Channel Master. I got it when I had a C-Band 10' dish in 1991. The ant. is old & ratty looking with a couple of its elements missing. However, I am happily receiving all my local chs. in HD dig. I am fairly close to the sig. point of origin. The ant. was rated for up to 170 miles. Hope this helps. :eek:

To All, I have found out that 1) The RS amp did not cause sound dropouts. 2) My surround system also did not cause dropouts. 3) It was determined that my Dish VIP-722 DVR is causing the problem & I am getting a replacement unit today.

I was able to play DVDs through my sound system through 4 players & there were NO sound dropouts. Hope this info is helpful to all.

There are a couple of threads over in the Dish forums about loss of OTA digital audio on ViP622/ViP722 after the most recent software update. You might want to read those.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)