sound help

rcwilcox

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jan 30, 2004
I recently added a HD TV 50 feet from my HD receiver. I hooked up the audio receiver via coax from tv to the receiver. TV is connected to 622 via 50 foot hdmi. All is well when watching hd programming or OTA but when i select SD programming no sound. Am i missing some setting on the tv or on my 622?

Do you mean digital coax from the TV? Most all HDTVs will not pass digital audio from the TV, just stereo surround. You should direct your HD receiver's audio directly into your audio receiver via optical cable. This does not address the SD problem, but let's start with proper hook-ups.

Do you mean digital coax from the TV? Most all HDTVs will not pass digital audio from the TV, just stereo surround. You should direct your HD receiver's audio directly into your audio receiver via optical cable. This does not address the SD problem, but let's start with proper hook-ups.

yes digital coax from tv's digital audio out. It does 5:1 out on HD according to the audio receiver but only on HD. Optical to receiver is great but as stated before the sat receiver is 50 feet away. The sound on HD shows is great and no sound on SD help??

yes digital coax from tv's digital audio out. It does 5:1 out on HD according to the audio receiver but only on HD. Optical to receiver is great but as stated before the sat receiver is 50 feet away. The sound on HD shows is great and no sound on SD help??
The Sat receiver is 50' away from audio receiver?

The Sat receiver is 50' away from audio receiver?

yup tv in another room with digi sound out of tv to audio receiver the receiver gets and
decodes audio fine on HD programs and OTA through the 622 fine but when 622 SD program is selected no audio

Good catch.

Menue/6/7: Check, Dolby Digital/PCM

Did that. No matter what combo i check = no difference other than PCM is no sound out. The TV says the signal it is getting from the 622 is Dolby if a HD or OTA is selected but on SD channels it says it is getting "digital stereo". Apparently if it gets "digital stereo" it decides that is not worthy to output to it's digital audio out jack. My question is why is the audio different, from E*, on different channels?

Well, for the rest of us, it's not. It has to have something to do with taking audio from your TV to your audio receiver, which is contrary to general procedure. In fact, my Samsung will not ouput ANY sound from a device that is connected to it via HDMI. Check your TV's manual. I'd suggest getting your equipment in one place or get one of these to go from Sat receiver to audio receiver.
For only $12.30 each when QTY 50+ purchased - PREMIUM 50FT Optical Toslink Cable w/ Metal Fancy Connector | Toslink to Toslink

Last edited:
I recently added a HD TV 50 feet from my HD receiver. I hooked up the audio receiver via coax from tv to the receiver. TV is connected to 622 via 50 foot hdmi. All is well when watching hd programming or OTA but when i select SD programming no sound. Am i missing some setting on the tv or on my 622?
You said you checked the DD/PCM setting in the satellite receiver. There may be aone in the TV.

Also note that many TVs will not output digital audio when you watch an SD off-air program via the TV's tuner. My sony KDL46XBR2 did not. It only produced analog audio. But my Pioneer PDP-6020 does.

Check your TV manual to see what you can expect from it's audio output.

I agree with others that are recommending a direct connection between the satellite receiver and your A/V receiver. You may find optical cables that are long enough. You also can buy optical to coax S/PDIF converters. S/PDIF should easily go 50' over coax.

Proper Hookup of 722 to audio reciever??

Should the audio receiver be hooked up from the HDTV or from the Dish Receiver? I am currently hooking up my audio receiver from the tv and thought perhaps I should use a optical from the satellite receiver instead.

From the Dish Receiver, absolutely!!

well I guess I listen to only HD programs on that TV or climb in the attic again and fish the walls again. I would probably need a 75 footer as my HDMI is 50 ft plus a 6 foot extension. If I split the optical out of the 622 do you think 75 feet would be too far?

well I guess I listen to only HD programs on that TV or climb in the attic again and fish the walls again. I would probably need a 75 footer as my HDMI is 50 ft plus a 6 foot extension. If I split the optical out of the 622 do you think 75 feet would be too far?

Iwill need to split the optical out of the 622 and extend 75 feet will that be too much loss?

Why would you need a splitter?

Use the cable you have run now to pull the new one through.

Last edited:
Why would you need a splitter?

Use the cable you have run now to pull the new one through.

i need a splitter as i use the audio at the 622 location to a audio receiver there too so i need two toslink feeds but only one output from the 622. Do not want to pull out the 50 ft hdmi as i still need that too

If you want thoughtful answers, don't leave out any details.

If you don't need the receiver 50' away from the equipment it serves, by all means move it.

If you do need it 50' away, give us specifics of what you're trying to accomplish. Splitting things gets expensive real quick and often doesn't work very well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)