sound quality xm vs sirius

theslag

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 12, 2004
Hi all....

I dont know if its just me, but i think my xm sound quality was alittle better than the Sirius unit that I have in my car now. Im not bitching, is it just me or is there a difference?? I thought i read some where that XM uses a better audio codex...

Well...Since the majority of sound quality is subjective, its hard to clarify who has better sound quality. If we were more of a satellite radio forum, you'd have people screaming at each other in support of each service. Take a look at xmfan.com. Its insane.

I have XM in my car, and we have Sirius at work. I still can't compare the two, because the Sirius radio is connected to the speakers in the ceiling, not to my car. Most people are unable to have a true side-by-side comparison with the same equipment, and the same songs.

Your question is nearly impossible to answer....

I have had a MyFi for two years. I have used it with headphones, FM-Transmitted to Auto ,fed into my Home Stereo System, and in the Altec-Lansing desk speaker kit and it sounds great to me. I have a Honda Element with Built-in XM, and it too is great. My wife loves the sound from her Roady XT in her PT Cruiser. .The better the headphones or speakers, the better the sound.

Please understand that I am NOT an audiophile and my ears are more than 50 years old. I think the XM sounds great.

I have no experience with Sirius so I cannot comment on their sound quality.

FWIW we did a poll awhile vack on this very subject. It was one of the few polls that Sirius did not win. It was a tie.

Personal Opinion on the Results of the Polls

I watched the poll and my feeling is that it was biased to whichever group, XM or Siruius, has the larger number of folks responding to the poll.

For example, I would always say XM was better becaused that is what I had, not Sirius. How can I actually evaluate Sirius whan I do not have access to it.

Just my opinion, yours most likely will differ.

Bob

I would agree that the polls in general tended to favor Sirius for that very reason. That si why I pointed out that this was one of the very few that Sirius did not dominate. In other words the consensus is taht tehre is no substantial difference.

Well I have had both, and concur with exactly what G's polls showed; that they sound nearly identical. Thus, based on my listening prefs and the availability of more choices, I ended up keeping the Sirius and canceling the XM.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)