This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Sound

shodobe

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 8, 2003
NorCal
I was wondering if anyone has noticed a change in the sound since the recent upgrades over the past 6 months or so? It seems the sound I am getting has to much bass or something. I have a Philips plasma that has OEM speakers and was just fine until about 6 months ago. Most channels are OK and some have a distinct irritating rasp or ? I just use regular speaker cabling from the reciever to the monitor. I am not sure if I went to a HT system if this would clear it up since I would be able to adjust sound a lot better. The adjustments through the Philips isn't getting rid of the problem. Anyone notice a change? Thanks

Haven't noticed any frequency response issues. Still putting up with the level between DD and SS. There are several hd chs that have sync issues when audio is being sent to DD amp using optical connections vs HDMI direct to tv.

I do have the system connected via HDMI, but have had no problems in the past. Maybe I might go back to components.

My wife and I both have noticed this... we dont use a surround sound system and a few weeks ago I had to jack the treble way up and the bass way down..... we still have to rewind and listen real closely every so often because the lower frequencies are dominating. I thought it just never bothered me before... but by you bringing this to light, I'd have to say I agree.

Exactlly! I have tried this and don't know where it came from, but I had no problems with sound until just a few months ago. I do have the problem with the sound being extremely high when I switch from HD to SD but it seems alot of folks have this. I don't know if just putting in a nice HT system with optical sound would help or not. The stock speakers have been just fine until now. I don't know enough about sound systems for tvs to make a "sound" judgement to buy a system. It doesn't happen all the time but is noticiable enough. Nice to know I am not just imagining it. Do you have your's hooked up via HDMI?

Yes... but the sound was fine with HDMI until just recently. They have to be compressing the sound now too.

This may be a good excuse to get the wife to write off on a nice sound system thogh.. haha. She gets mad annoyed when she cant hear what the actors are saying... especially if we are watching a British film and the accents are hard enough to decipher.

----------

For the record... I posted about how the quality of SD decreased once we had the HD installed... I had a technician come out and he admitted that, for some reason, once you get an HD signal, the SD degrades and there is nothing you can do about it.

That being said, its real messed up that dish compresses their SD to make room for HD... I feel so cheated by this company. Their business practices are absolutely atrocious. I would not be surprised in the least to learn that they are compressing audio to stretch that dollar just a little bit further.

This season of Dr. Who on Sci-Fi has a problem with the incidental music overpowering the dialog sometimes, but other than that I can't say I've noticed any differences anywhere else. I'm only listening in 2.0 because I haven't decided what kind of 5.1 setup to get.