This is a mobile optimized page that loads fast, if you want to load the real page, click this text.

Source for 5.4 IR Remote VIP 211 Receiver

jimdandyvi

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Jun 19, 2010
Virgin Islands
I have been trying to purchase a replacement remote for my VIP 211. I ordered a remote directly from DISH but they sent a type 21. When I told them the remote wasn't correct they sent a replacement (another type 21 for free) . Another call and another incorrect remote. I now have three type 21 remotes which probably have cost DISH a hundred dollars to ship to the Virgin Islands by UPS which UPS considers an international delivery destination.

Where can I purchase a type 5.4 IR remote? It needs to be from someone who will ship by Priority Mail to the USVI. I want an exact replacement for compatability reasons with my SlingBox.

Jim

Do you realize how lucky you are??? The 21.0 remotes are the Learning models and easier to switch between UHF/IR, and for the most part, function identically. There is no reason for any compatibility issues with your Slingbox. I would guess they are not even making the 5.4s any longer.

I spent over sixty minutes trying to get the 21 remote to even turn on and off my 211 receiver. I consider myself fairly technically savy so even if it is a better remote it was and is useless to me. As for the SlingBox the software assumes I am using a 5.4 remote so it would be awkward to try and control my receiver remotely when the buttons don't match up on the real and virtual remotes.

Jim

Jim

Even if you got a 5.4, you would still have to program in all the codes. I'm sorry, you just need to do a little more work.

To use the 21.0 with a 211k, you need to flip the key at the bottom to 1 AND slide the switch inside the battery compartment to IR then make sure it is matched with the remote address of the rec

They are now shipping some 211k rec with a 20.0 IR only remote

DISH uses the same IR codes on the remote controls, wether it is a 21.0 or a 5.4 the code for #1 is the same the code "play" is the same. Have you checked that your remote address is set correctly, your remote is set for address #1 and your receiver is set for address #2? They won't talk to each other unless set correctly.

To use the 21.0 with a 211k, you need to flip the key at the bottom to 1 AND slide the switch inside the battery compartment to IR then make sure it is matched with the remote address of the rec
The tab on the 21.0 is merely an identifier (Tv1 or2). The switch changes between UHF and IR.

It is a 211 not a 211K I needed the remote for. Yes the 21 remote will work with a 211K, but not with a plain 211. Dish Tech Support has confirmed this.

I was lucky and finally got a 6.4 which will work with the 211. It is programmed and everything is good. Radio Shack online is out of stock of their 4/1 remotes that will work with a 211 receiver so anyone needing a remote for a plain 211 is going to have to search if their remote gets lost or fails.

Jim

Matt with DISH here. All of the VIP receivers are now getting either a 20.0 or a 21.0 (you actually should have received a 20.0). The 21.0 however will work with the 211. As mentioned above, flip the key/tab at the bottom of the remote to the green #1, and flip the switch next to the batteries to IR. Press system info on the front of the receiver, then press record 3 times on the remote (make sure it's in SAT mode). This should get the remote working with the receiver.

I did all that and several other things Dish tech support suggested. Never could get it to work. Tech support said it wouldn't work and sent me another remote and then another remote. On the other hand the 6.4 was operational within seconds.

Jim

whoops

Sorry about the last post, I guess my brain didn't process the part where the 6.4 was already up an running. Must be to early (or late I suppose) and the coffee is still kickin' in