Sources : Mets Sportsnet NY Reaches Deal With DirecTV, How About Dish ?

Lucky

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Oct 8, 2003
New York
According to the New York Post :

"The Mets' new SportsNet NY, say sources, has reached an agreement
with DirecTV ..."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/61374.htm

Okay, Dish now DirecTV has the new channel. Is Dish going to now let DirecTV control the entire baseball universe in the NY Metro area with YES and SNY ? What will Dish do ?

Lucky said:
According to the New York Post :

"The Mets' new SportsNet NY, say sources, has reached an agreement
with DirecTV ..."

http://www.nypost.com/sports/61374.htm

Okay, Dish now DirecTV has the new channel. Is Dish going to now let DirecTV control the entire baseball universe in the NY Metro area with YES and SNY ? What will Dish do ?

Cannot read story. It is asking for a username and password on the nypost website.

It is just a line in the story saying that DirecTV reached an agreement. By the way, you can register for free from the NYP if you wish to read for yourself.

Baseball is a very popular sport in NY. I don’t think Charlie realizes this. Its bad enough they don’t have YES (and will never have it) but if they can’t find a way to get SportsNet NY…dish will just lose more NY area subs to dtv. Will Charlie continue to surrender the NY area market to dtv…stay tuned….

umm not everybody is a baseball fan those who are already have d* so it really is a nonissue for charlie & company

Mets Fans already have D?

I think there are going to be alot of Met fans disappointed if Dish doesn't carry SportsNet NY. Just because your a Met fan doesn't mean you'll spend $$$ on extra innings and therefore choose D.

I would think that if Charlie was willing to give up the Yankee baseball market in NYC, then why would he worry about giving up the Mets market?

Unless the Mets are willing to meet him on his terms, which Yes never did.

I also think about the people in New York who DON'T want to see the games and have E*. I'm sure those people are relieved they don't have to pay extra for a local channel service that would be forced on them in the Top 60 or 120.

If Dish doesn't pick up SNY, then the SNY games will not be available to MLB EI as well.

With the teams already not part of MLB EI (Phillies, Nationals, Padres, Blue Jays, Yankees, possibly Indians) there are going to be a *lot* of games not shown on Dish's version of MLB EI. MLB.TV for half the price keeps looking like a better option for 2006.

Wait a second,

Are you guys saying that those teams games are unavailable on Dishs MLB: EI package because Dish will not carry their local RSN? :(

Guess I might need to think twice before ordering it this year. I thought you were still able to get the above teams with the MLB: EI package. Heck, when I had MLB: EI with Comcast before I moved to Dish I was able to get the Yankees on the YES! Network, but didn't get their RSN...

jk- said:
Wait a second,

Are you guys saying that those teams games are unavailable on Dishs MLB: EI package because Dish will not carry their local RSN? :(
Yup. :mad:

Guess I might need to think twice before ordering it this year. I thought you were still able to get the above teams with the MLB: EI package. Heck, when I had MLB: EI with Comcast before I moved to Dish I was able to get the Yankees on the YES! Network, but didn't get their RSN...
With Dish's MLB EI, you can see the Yankees, but only using the opposing teams RSN feed. Same with the Nationals, Phillies, Blue Jays, Padres, and maybe the Inidans and Mets for 2006.

So this means you can see these teams, except you don't get to listen to the home announcers?

No big loss there.

What would happen if the Yankees were playing the Indians? Not carried by MLB:EI?

Tom Bombadil said:
So this means you can see these teams, except you don't get to listen to the home announcers?

No big loss there.

What would happen if the Yankees were playing the Indians? Not carried by MLB:EI?
Right, and that's the problem. For instance, if only the Phillies aren't carried, you can see most games on the other team's RSN, perhaps missing some weekend games carried on OTA stations. But if the Phillies, Nationals, and Mets are not on MLB EI, there are going to be a *lot* of NL East games that are missing on MLB EI. Likewise, you'll never see a Yankees - Blue Jays game on Dish's MLB EI, and as of now no games between the Indians and the Yankees / Blue Jays. The interleague "subway series" between the Yankees and Mets will also not be on MLB EI.

So as more teams go missing from MLB EI, the value of the package starts to drop quickly.

This is some valuable information here. I have Dish Network and cable and was going to order MLB Extra Innings from Dish, because I wanted to a get a few of the games in HD. Cablevision (my cable company) does not carry any of the games in HD. However, if I am going to miss all these games because Dish does not carry the RSN's for these various teams I am definitely going to order MLBEI from Cablevision. I will wait to see what Dish does, but if they are going to be missing all these games MLBEI will not be worth it from Dish.

Cleveland Indians Network

The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported sunday.

»" Indians' network eyes Opening Day (Sunday, 2/12/2006, Plain Dealer)
Jim Liberatore, presi dent of the Indians' new television network, says he is confident it will have deals signed with every area cable and satellite TV outlet by Opening Day but admits it is "unlikely" they will be done soon enough for all viewers to see the network's debut telecast: the March 12 Indians-New York Yankees exhibition game."

Maybe there is hopes for the Mets.

rowemance said:
The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported sunday.

»" Indians' network eyes Opening Day (Sunday, 2/12/2006, Plain Dealer)
Jim Liberatore, presi dent of the Indians' new television network, says he is confident it will have deals signed with every area cable and satellite TV outlet by Opening Day but admits it is "unlikely" they will be done soon enough for all viewers to see the network's debut telecast: the March 12 Indians-New York Yankees exhibition game."

Maybe there is hopes for the Mets.

SNY President, Jon Litner has been saying the same thing about the Mets network. He is always confident they will reach the entire foot print by the start of the season. Somehow I am not too confident in Dish getting the Met games.

Personally I don't see what use the channel is going to be except for the 4 hours when they have a game and for the 6 months of baseball season. That is only 568 hours of programing (142 games x 4 hours.) out of 8760 hours in a year. Note 30 games on local TV and 10 for national feeds. If anything at this point in time they Dish more than Dish needs them. No subscribers no advertizing.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)