South Florida MPEG4 Issues

Status
Please reply by conversation.

flipper2001

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Apr 19, 2004
South Florida
I just got the new mpeg4 dish and there is no problems with the mpeg2 stuff but the stations 4,6,7,10 all have issues with the motion. It's not as if it's dropping frames (like the old voom boxes) but its not a fluent motion. Example: your watching the picture and the motion slows down for a sec then speeds up to catch up. I've noticed this on all mpeg4. Today there was a baseball game on channel 95 (devil rays vs a's) in mpeg2 and channel 96, the same game but in mpeg4, and while the mpeg4 picture was MUCH sharper, it was like the streaming was off. Kind of like watching a movie on the pc with the wrong codec, and while it was all there it wasnt smooth. Has anyone else noticed this? After watching any of the mpeg4 for a minute, you should notice it. DTV said they are going to submit it engineers but nothing can be done.

charper1 said:
Since you just got the install, do you know what version of firmware you have versus what the latest is?

I have the latest; i forced it download just to be sure. I think this is just one of the problems with mpeg4, but the codec example really explains it best.

My install is very simple. The new dish was mounted right in the spot on wall where the old 3 lnb was. Something else to NOT get excited about tonight. First rain storm and 2 minutes before the rain started all the sats were out. I guess having bigger dish didnt matter to south fla storms. Also once the rain cleared and everything was back, and i started watching nbc for football. there is a ton of pixelation or all the mpeg4 stations. Dtv needs to figure these issues out rather then blow them off as customer problem.

Had the same problem last night ( Oakland Park ) although that was one hell of a storm. I have beaten my record of loosing the singnal with my new 5LNB dish in 2 months than my 3LNB dish in 2 years.:mad:

I'm in the process of upgrading. I'm currently trying to decide weather to go with the 5LNB dish for the locals or stay with my 3LNB and OTA antenna. Is this a recurring problem with the MPEG4 broadcast or an isolated instance.

If you get perfect OTA reception on the big 4 networks and are satisfied with your PhaseIII HD setup, why mess with it? The ONLY thing that you MIGHT be adding (depends on your zip) is a MPEG offered RSN.

flipper2001 said:
I just got the new mpeg4 dish and there is no problems with the mpeg2 stuff but the stations 4,6,7,10 all have issues with the motion. It's not as if it's dropping frames (like the old voom boxes) but its not a fluent motion. Example: your watching the picture and the motion slows down for a sec then speeds up to catch up. I've noticed this on all mpeg4. Today there was a baseball game on channel 95 (devil rays vs a's) in mpeg2 and channel 96, the same game but in mpeg4, and while the mpeg4 picture was MUCH sharper, it was like the streaming was off. Kind of like watching a movie on the pc with the wrong codec, and while it was all there it wasnt smooth. Has anyone else noticed this? After watching any of the mpeg4 for a minute, you should notice it. DTV said they are going to submit it engineers but nothing can be done.

Sunrise, FL. I have all these problems. I have 4 H20 Recievers and the 5LNB dish. I forced the latest software download. The pixellation on the local HD channels and the out of sync audio is the worst. Sometimes They are unwatchable. SD channels have a good picture but the audio is often out of sync. I did my own install and have checked the sat signals and they are fine. Other friends with the same equipment all have the same problems. It is definitely a DTV problem. I got one service rep to admit to it. I was told they are improving and changing to HD as fast as they can. The only solution is to wait.

Orlando, FL. I to in Central Florida have all these problems. Also, my mpeg-4 locals are all out tonight. Not sure what is wrong. I have even noticed problems on TNTHD with pixel problems as well. ESPNHD is here and there. Hopefully, DTV is aware of the problem and are working the issue.

Last night when i came home I noticed that all 4 local mpeg4's were off (blank) and 96 had a message "we are working on the problem" . I called customer support and they said there was a major fiber cut along the east coast and that is why the feeds are out. Its how the mpeg4 channels are uplinked back to thier sats to send to thier customers. I also asked about my sync problem and this csr (billy) said that the problem is the HDMI cable and if i was to switch to component with rca audio it would be better. BULLONY! I tried it and it doesnt make a difference only that i did notice that HDMI is Mucho better then component. Much better picture. I did do one thing that seemed to improve the problem a little bit. I had always upconverted everything from the h20 to 1080i, i noticed that when i let it automaticaly use the native format it seemed to be better. I also noticed that the MPEG4(channel 96) is all 1080i and that channel 95 is 720p. That is why the picture looked much better with baseball. Having 2 stations right next to each other is great to compare the same source with different res's.

Ok, Yesterday Directv sent out a "Hidef Expert" to look into the problems I am having. Within 2 minutes of being here, He said " The problems are all with the H20 reciever. We keep telling Directv the recievers are the problem. We are hoping they will have a firmware fix, But I don't know when it will happen."
At least he was honest and I can respect that.

He mentioned every problem we have talked about in this thread before I said a thing.

slimoli said:
Why is this affecting South Florida only?

It's not. Cities are having these motion problems/sync issues/dropouts all over the nation. Boston for example is a nightmare on several channels, and was one of the first cities to go live. Disgraceful it has gone on this long.

Maybe by some miracle the new hd dvr will help, but I doubt it.

With no answer to the mpeg4 stuff in site im getting quite dissapointed in DTV. I been a customer since 98, but if the are going to increase rates and stuff they need to PROVIDE.

every major cities had experience pixelation and out of sync problems from the 5lnb dish. technicians are getting chargeback because of directv didnt take their time to improve hd system before selling it to the customer. in order to avoid out of sync problems with the h20 . you have let the receiver automatically choose the proper format. not every hd network will broadcast in 1080i format.

I live in Oakland Park and personally I dont know why everybody just doesnt get their HI-DEF channels from a antenna. We are in a sweet spot for OTA reception, Plus it's far superior to the HI-DEF D* offers??? I'm not a fan of big antennas, so I bought the smallest Channel Master. It's small for a outdoor antenna and picks up everything.

locksmith30076 said:
every major cities had experience pixelation and out of sync problems from the 5lnb dish. technicians are getting chargeback because of directv didnt take their time to improve hd system before selling it to the customer. in order to avoid out of sync problems with the h20 . you have let the receiver automatically choose the proper format. not every hd network will broadcast in 1080i format.

I did do this, but it doesnt resolve the problem, nor switching to component cable, but with the native format, its so slow when switching stations to keep on, i like that but its so slow when switching lets say from 96 (1080i) to 73 (720p).

DTV is aware of the problem. It's affecting the H20 and HR20. Level 2 tech support to expect a firmware upgrade later this month to correct the problem. Let's hope he is right.

vlj9r said:
DTV is aware of the problem. It's affecting the H20 and HR20. Level 2 tech support to expect a firmware upgrade later this month to correct the problem. Let's hope he is right.

I have my doubts that this problem can be corrected with software/firmware upgrades.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts