Space Systems/Loral Delivers EchoStar XI Satellite to Launch Base

Thats a satellite thats already in orbit though Correct? They just have to move it to another location? What about the 77 Satellite?
Yes, E6 is currently a spare that will be moved (with FCC approval) to 72.7. E4 is currently at 77. E4 has had a lot of equipment failures and is believed to only have 4 to 6 TP's working right now. It is only a placeholder until another sat is launched/moved there. Gunter's Space Page - Information on Launch vehicles, Satellites, Space Shuttle and Astronautics

Yes, E6 is currently a spare that will be moved (with FCC approval) to 72.7. E4 is currently at 77. E4 has had a lot of equipment failures and is believed to only have 4 to 6 TP's working right now. It is only a placeholder until another sat is launched/moved there. Gunter's Space Page - Information on Launch vehicles, Satellites, Space Shuttle and Astronautics
Great so the E4 satellite is a piece of S#^% satellite that going to have nothing but trouble for the rest of it remaining years. Great another 129 for the East coast:mad:

Great so the E4 satellite is a piece of S#^% satellite that going to have nothing but trouble for the rest of it remaining years. Great another 129 for the East coast:mad:
"Placeholder" means that Dish is keeping something there to satisfy the FCC. You can bet that Dish will move something better there before the EA starts up in earnest. Hmmmm, E5 will be available next year. :)

"Placeholder" means that Dish is keeping something there to satisfy the FCC. You can bet that Dish will move something better there before the EA starts up in earnest. Hmmmm, E5 will be available next year. :)
Next Year!!!!, Thats a long time. But I'm willing to wait ,I guess the broken Satellite will work untill then Right? E* ought to be able to put quite a bit of HD on the 61.5 and 72.5 for the Eastern customers I would imagine.

Last edited:

You must be joking because the E-5 satellite is almost out of fuel and will need to be moved to a higher orbit for retirement sometime early next year.

You must be joking because the E-5 satellite is almost out of fuel and will need to be moved to a higher orbit for retirement sometime early next year.
Hence the smiley. :) For those who don't know, E5 is the satellite at 129 that is being replaced next year.

It is going to 110 where it will replace EchoStar 8.
And, it frees up EchoStar 8 to be used as an in-orbit spare for 110 and 119, where currently E* has no spares at all.

Hopefully a spare for 129. I thought we'd have a replacement by late summer, now next year... :eek::eek: Concerned about rain fade this winter, NOT good. D* looking better, except for their DVR.
I am concerned that E5 is fading away if not falling apart (per one post) and we have no options in the West to get 61.5 or even 148.
----I'm ditching HD Ultimate in favor of Starz.----

Last edited:
Hopefully a spare for 129. I thought we'd have a replacement by late summer, now next year... :eek::eek: Concerned about rain fade this winter, NOT good. D* looking better, except for their DVR.
I am concerned that E5 is fading away if not falling apart (per one post) and we have no options in the West to get 61.5 or even 148.
----I'm ditching HD Ultimate in favor of Starz.----
129 is a Canadian (eh) slot. E5 was only a temp fix until Ciel-2 was built and launched. Ciel-2 was scheduled for a Dec. 2008 launch until the booster failure on AMC-14. Ciel-2 was to use the same Breeze-M booster.:eek: Looks like a several months delay until the problem is fixed and the launch rescheduled.

It is going to 110 where it will replace EchoStar 8.

It has higher power, which will have two advantages:

- Less Rain Fade

- Less FEC (error correction) bits required, allowing more bandwidth on each transponder, allowing more channels to be added to 110 in a central CONUS location.

And, it frees up EchoStar 8 to be used as an in-orbit spare for 110 and 119, where currently E* has no spares at all.

If you consider these comments and DISH's sudden decision to swap out MPEG2 HD boxes, this is likely how DISH is planning to deal with the inability to recover 4 transponders with the addition of AMC14 to 61.5. Since the current HD setup for 61.5 requires 119/110, any gains on 110 will translate to recovered bandwidth that they were planning on getting back with AMC14. Reducing FEC and changing MPEG2 HD to MPEG4 should help some.

What is really starteling about E11 is 20KW power! Considering it only has to take care of 19 TPs (3 in use by DIRECTV, 10 by E11), that is over a KW per TP.

Echostar 6 is 125W for 32 or 250 for 16 TPs... Echostar VII and VIII were 120/240

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts