Space SystemsLoral Selected to Provide Satellite to EchoStar

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

Scott Greczkowski

Welcome HOME!
Original poster
Staff member
HERE TO HELP YOU!
Cutting Edge
Sep 7, 2003
Newington, CT
Space Systems/Loral Selected to Provide Satellite to EchoStar Corporation

PALO ALTO, Calif., Dec. 30, 2009 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Space Systems/Loral (SS/L), a subsidiary of Loral Space & Communications (Nasdaq:LORL) and the world's leading provider of high-power commercial satellites, today announced that it was selected to provide a new direct broadcast satellite (DBS), EchoStar XVI, to a subsidiary of EchoStar Corporation (Nasdaq:SATS).

EchoStar XVI is the seventh satellite contract awarded to SS/L in 2009. It is planned for launch in 2012.

"We are very proud of our continued close working relationship with EchoStar," said John Celli, president of SS/L. "Over the many years that our companies have worked together, we have continued to advance the technologies necessary for power and high performance."

"Space Systems/Loral continues to help us meet our business objectives with some of the world's most powerful and reliable spacecraft," said Rohan Zaveri, vice president of Space Programs for EchoStar.

The space-proven SS/L 1300 satellite bus, used by EchoStar XVI, provides the flexibility for a broad range of applications. SS/L currently has 59 satellites on orbit and has amassed more than 1,600 years of reliable on-orbit service.

To clarify, E-15 is scheduled to be launched to the 61.5 W slot probably in early to mid 2011. E-15 could be delayed if Dish were to augment E-15 with reverse DBS capability since they have a license very close to 61.5 W. E-16 most likely will be a reverse DBS slot. I just can't see Dish building a new satellite for 148 W since that slot has limited coverage for much of the CONUS. At this point the 148 W slot is only really good for providing locals to minor DMAs on the west cost.
In the FCC filing to suspend operations at 148 W, Dish mentioned that their plan is to move E-8 there after QuetzSat-1 is launched in August of 2011. Dish will have plenty of older satellites to use at 148 W including E-6, E-7 and E-8 once the newer satellites are launched and operational. I believe Dish is waiting for FCC approval to suspend operations at 148 W to seek approval to move E-6 to 61.5 W. E-6 just needs to be moved and operational at 61.5 W at the same time that E-14 becomes operational at 119 W to balance EA and WA capacity.

In the FCC filing to suspend operations at 148 W, Dish mentioned that their plan is to move E-8 there after QuetzSat-1 is launched in August of 2011. Dish will have plenty of older satellites to use at 148 W including E-6, E-7 and E-8 once the newer satellites are launched and operational. I believe Dish is waiting for FCC approval to suspend operations at 148 W to seek approval to move E-6 to 61.5 W. E-6 just needs to be moved and operational at 61.5 W at the same time that E-14 becomes operational at 119 W to balance EA and WA capacity.
E* could, if absolutely necessary to keep the slot, move E3 over to 148. E* will have little use for E3 if E6 moves to 61.5. The fuel status of E3 could be critical though.

E* could, if absolutely necessary to keep the slot, move E3 over to 148. E* will have little use for E3 if E6 moves to 61.5. The fuel status of E3 could be critical though.

I don't think Dish wants to do this. I believe Dish wants to use the full spotbeam capacity of E-12 at 61.5 W until E-15 is launched and E-6 alone cannot cover all the CONUS TPs there so E-3 is still needed. To do this, Dish needs to limit as much as possible the number of CONUS TPs that E-12 provides. If Dish moves E-6 to 61.5 W, they could use it in double power mode as well which might allow for some conversion to 8PSK or MPEG-4 which would free up additional CONUS TPs for EA.

I don't think Dish wants to do this. I believe Dish wants to use the full spotbeam capacity of E-12 at 61.5 W until E-15 is launched and E-6 alone cannot cover all the CONUS TPs there so E-3 is still needed. To do this, Dish needs to limit as much as possible the number of CONUS TPs that E-12 provides. If Dish moves E-6 to 61.5 W, they could use it in double power mode as well which might allow for some conversion to 8PSK or MPEG-4 which would free up additional CONUS TPs for EA.

I have been told that E12 can't provide all spot capacity due to uplink limitations.

E10 is certainly not the oldest of Echostar's active satellites.

I meant the oldest without a scheduled replacement. E3 is to be replaced by E15, E6 at 72.7 has already been replaced by Nimiq-5 and E8 and E1 will be replaced at 77 by Quetzsat 1. E9 is not a DBS sat.

Granted E6 and E8 (EDIT: not to mention E7, and maybe E12, but I'm guessing E1 and E3 will be out of gas by then) will stick around for a while, but are more or less, spares.

Looking at the primary constellation by 2012:

61.5: E15
72.7: Nimiq-5
77: Quetzsat-1
110: E10/E11
119: E14
129: Ciel-2

Certainly the oldest in that list is E10.

I have been told that E12 can't provide all spot capacity due to uplink limitations.

I believe they could put in more uplink centers under overloaded spot areas. E12 has two limitations at the moment...

1. Solar panel failures have led to reduced capacity - The impact from this is reduced because Dish does not have to use the western spot beams, saving the power for the Eastern ones.

2. Lack of uplink sites. Dish is doubling up on the uplinks. They could put in more uplink centers in areas that need it to unlock some of the capacity bottlenecks.

Of course they could decided that the new satellite at 77 will give them enough capacity that they do not need more spots on E12 except in a few select markets.

Echostar 86.5W is a yet unnamed DBS satellite (a tweener). It is nearly thru the licensing process and might be a good candidate for E16.

The 17 ghz satellites have a unique FCC identification as BSS (BROADCAST SATELLITE SERVICE) 17 Ghz. So the 17Ghz satellites probably do not fit if they are calling E16 DBS, .

And for a little more confusion, ITU groups both the US DBS(12.2-12.7) and the 17 Ghz BSS under a single BSS label.

Isn't the 86.5 spot likely to be used for commercial/corporate/non-residential-consumer use? Doesn't fit WA or EA, plus the need for a different LNB. Perhaps I missed earlier posts on this.

Isn't the 86.5 spot likely to be used for commercial/corporate/non-residential-consumer use? Doesn't fit WA or EA, plus the need for a different LNB. Perhaps I missed earlier posts on this.

It's a DBS high power satellite license (mod pending) for home reception. I'd suspect they would use excess FSS capacity for specific earth station(commercial) service. They had to reshape the beam to avoid Canada due to interference problems (the pending mod).

The polarity is reversed to reduce interference (left is right and right is left) but everthing else is standard DBS.

Service area is Conus + Caribbean + Mexico (no Alaska or Hawaii).

FCC grant refers to adding more local into local but I'd suspect they also have their eye on adding more service into Mexico. Real close to 77W and their Dish Mexico service is growing rapidly.

With a projected remaining service life of 11.5 years (77% left), what's the rush?

If you bring it up in another six or seven years, you might have a point.

Better aimed/tighter spots? More power for 8PSK with a low FEC? Also don't forget there is no real E10 backup. Ciel-2 and E12 could help in a pinch, but that would require a lot of dish and receiver upgrades. I don't think Dish will want to wait until the end.

But hey, just throwing it out as a possibility. I think reverse DBS or 86.5 is more likely.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts