Spaceway 2 Launch thread - It's up!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
I emailed D* about a question that came up in another thread, I think, but I cannot remember which one, so I am posting the information here. :confused:

I have two hd boxes. They said that both are eligible for exchange for H20's.

Chip

raoul5788 said:
I emailed D* about a question that came up in another thread, I think, but I cannot remember which one, so I am posting the information here. :confused:

I have two hd boxes. They said that both are eligible for exchange for H20's.

Chip

I think they have a limit of only five total HD box upgrades. That can include five HD boxes, five HD DVR boxes or any mix of the two.

LonghornXP said:
I think they have a limit of only five total HD box upgrades. That can include five HD boxes, five HD DVR boxes or any mix of the two.

Longhorn, have they said anything about giving any kind of an upgrade deal to HD customers that would like to upgrade to a DVR?

lou_do said:
Longhorn, have they said anything about giving any kind of an upgrade deal to HD customers that would like to upgrade to a DVR?

I don't know what specifics but yes they do have plans for this for customers wanting to upgrade to both the HD DVR and the Home Media Center products.

I have heard several references to the "Home Media Center", but don't know exactly what is or what it does. It seems to have some sort multi-room capability. What distinguishes the proposed "Home Media Center" from a Dish Network 942 receiver, which offers two-room capability?

The HMS basically is like a hub, where the connections come in, and the storage is at. Then you have client boxes that access the storage on that server.

How much storage and is it archiveable? Expandable? Can I offload To additional external hard drives? If not its a joke or a gimmick IMO. One of the main point of calling anything a Home media center is the ability to expand the storage. If I am to fill up 300 to 500 gig or so and then have to start deleting movies its not a home media center. I would have no problem with D* supplying somekind of DRM program installed on the hardrives preventing copying of the material for sale elsewhere but for Petes sake let me expand the capacity by adding storage so that I dont have to lose what I record. And let me do it economically by adding my own Hard drives either by USB or ethernet.

hdtvtechno said:
If i not mistaken

You get to keep your current HD stb and still get the free upgrade

What if I have an HD box that is not active.. Should I go get it activated so I can get the upgraded box..

D*s application to FCC for 9S rejected

Wonder why they need a KA bird @ 101 deg. given all the changes going on??

:confused:
TECHNOLOGY: DirecTV FCC Application Axed - The International Bureau at the Federal Communications Commission dismissed an application from DirecTV seeking authority to launch and operate a Ka-Band satellite, the future DirecTV 9S, at the 101-degree orbital location. The dismissal was based on technical issues. The bureau added that the company can re-file an improved application concerning the satellite.

That is strange. I always thought DirecTV 9S was a backup Ku-band DBS satellite, resembling DirecTV 4S and 7S.

To bgartz. I kept my Sony Sat HD200 active after I got the HR10-250 from D*. While I was ordering it I asked the CSR if I should keep it active or not to get the upgrade on that receiver. She wasn't sure, so since I'm in the Chicago DMA which is suppose to be upgraded by the end of the year (?) I kept it active. Well low and behold I wound up buying another HD TV. What you could do is deactivate a SD receiver and replace it with your HD receiver. Just a thought.

npm said:
Press release up at D* - Bold added by me!

DIRECTV Sets the Stage for Aggressive Expansion of Local HD Programming with Successful Launch of Spaceway F2 Satellite
EL SEGUNDO, Calif.--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Nov. 16, 2005--

Thirty-Six Major Markets Will Have Access to Local HD Channels Via
DIRECTV by Early 2006; Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta
and San Francisco to Roll Out this Month
DIRECTV continued to build the in-orbit framework for the nationwide rollout of hundreds of local high-definition (HD) broadcast channels today with the successful launch of the Spaceway F2 satellite. The new satellite, combined with the Spaceway F1 satellite, will enable DIRECTV to provide local HD channels to customers in 36 major markets, or more than 57 percent of U.S. television households, by early next year.

The Boeing-built spacecraft lifted off today from the Guiana Space Center in Kourou, French Guiana, at 3:46 p.m. PST (8:46 p.m. Kourou time).

Spaceway F2, along with the Spaceway F1 satellite that was placed in orbit in late April, will support the rollout of up to 500 local HD channels. DIRECTV will offer local HD broadcast channels in 12 cities by the end of this year and 24 cities early next year.

Spaceway F1 began transmitting local HD signals to customers in Detroit on Oct. 20, and four markets -- Chicago, Philadelphia, Atlanta and San Francisco -- will begin receiving local HD broadcast channels this month. DIRECTV will also launch HD locals in Tampa, Dallas, Houston, Boston, Washington D.C., Los Angeles and New York in December.

The Spaceway satellites will be joined by two more next-generation spacecraft in 2007, and together they will deliver more than 1,500 local and 150 national HD channels to DIRECTV customers nationwide.

"With our unprecedented rollout of local digital and high-definition broadcast channels in major markets underway and the recent launch of our new DIRECTV Plus(R) DVR, we are moving aggressively to provide our customers with an unparalleled television entertainment experience and distinguish the DIRECTV service in the marketplace," said Chase Carey, president and CEO, DIRECTV, Inc. "The successful launch of the Spaceway 2 satellite moves us a step closer to our goal of offering local HD programming to most, if not all, TV households in the United States."

Sorry to ask this, but I just checked D* website. I look at "about us" & then headlines.............where is this press release?

Barney

Barneypoo69 said:
Sorry to ask this, but I just checked D* website. I look at "about us" & then headlines.............where is this press release?

Barney
Barneypoo69.....the release is not in the regular headlines....click on the
hot link at the top of the page that say's "Investor Relations", then drop
down to News, events and prestations, to find a list of recent press releases,
which are slanted toward financial stuff....

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)