spaceway 2?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

austen0316

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Feb 10, 2005
Robbinsville, NJ
Is spaceway 2 ever going up and are we going to hear an annoucement in aug. or not since spaceway 2 has been forever delayed. Hopefully longhornXP can answer this

Longhorn,

Do you mean Spaceway 1 or 2 is delayed? I know Spaceway 2 keeps getting pushed back, but will Spaceway 1 begin operating anytime soon? Been quiet on the D* HD front for a few weeks. August is fast approaching.

> Delayed because it's broke?????

No, it's delayed because the other half is broken. AFAIK, the Spaceway 2 was designed with another payload to be launched together. The initial problem was that the other payload had technical problems. Unless that is fixed, the all-fine Spaceway 2 cannot be launched unless itself gets redesigned as a solo payload or with another payload.

Hong.

hongcho said:
> Delayed because it's broke?????

No, it's delayed because the other half is broken. AFAIK, the Spaceway 2 was designed with another payload to be launched together. The initial problem was that the other payload had technical problems. Unless that is fixed, the all-fine Spaceway 2 cannot be launched unless itself gets redesigned as a solo payload or with another payload.

Hong.

Hong, check the beginning of the thread. I asked if Longhorn could also provide a status for Spaceway 1. He responded, quoting my post, and all he said was "delayed". I responded with another post asking if the status was 'delayed' because it's broke, no response to that post from Longhorn. So unless he can give us something else to correct that I'm taking his response as meaning Spaceway 1 and not 2 and there must be some problem with that satellite in addition to SW2 still waiting to be launched.

Rumor is Boeing still has control of Spaceway1. Sounded like D* would get control of it soon however. Then they have to do their testing and what not.

I think DirecTV is in "no hurry". I could be wrong, but their "future HD plan" seems to require both Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2. So, unless Spaceway 2 is up, they may not work towards the transition to MPEG-4 AVC... But, that's just my guess.

Hong.

rad said:
Hong, check the beginning of the thread. I asked if Longhorn could also provide a status for Spaceway 1. He responded, quoting my post, and all he said was "delayed". I responded with another post asking if the status was 'delayed' because it's broke, no response to that post from Longhorn. So unless he can give us something else to correct that I'm taking his response as meaning Spaceway 1 and not 2 and there must be some problem with that satellite in addition to SW2 still waiting to be launched.

Spaceway 1 & 2 are setup to work as one for best bandwidth use and as such Spaceway 1 will be delayed until Spaceway 2 is up and running. I'm hearing that they do have a backup plan to use some of the KU bandwidth on D* 8 for a few new HD channels until Spaceway 2 gets up. The fact of the matter is that we won't be seeing any HD LIL, major national HD additions nor any SD offerings (extra premium SD movie channels and such) until such time as both Spaceway 1 and 2 are up and running.

So the simple answer is that spaceway 1 is delayed because spaceway 2 is delayed.

Edit...to give you an idea about their plans I'll say what I can most of which has been said before by others.

One of the spaceway sats will serve the western states while the other will serve the eastern states. By doing this they can setup one large spotbeat per satellite and the reason they will do this is for these reasons below.

Firstly doing one large spotbeam will use less overall power than having many spotbeams. Secondly only doing the west or the east states would greatly increase bandwidth because it takes much more power to serve even with spotbeams the entire USA compared to just one side that is closest to its orbital slot.

This system would allow them to offer national HD channels using spot beams so yes they would offer say Starz HD on both satellites but its actually better to deal with two feeds using this system. One of the other advantages to having two large spotbeams is that they can offer VOD offerings without requireing true two-way feedback. To find out more about this VOD system please do a search to read some of my other posts which explain this in more detail.

Longhorn, thanks for the update. Just curious, as Boeing turned over SW1 to D* yet or are they still doing testing/verification???

rad said:
Longhorn, thanks for the update. Just curious, as Boeing turned over SW1 to D* yet or are they still doing testing/verification???
Boeing is still in control, however this seems to be getting close to an end as Lyngsat has just updated its website that SW1 has finally arrived to his orbital slot but it has yet to become stationary. But, its getting closer! :yes http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/space1.html

Smthkd said:
Boeing is still in control, however this seems to be getting close to an end as Lyngsat has just updated its website that SW1 has finally arrived to his orbital slot but it has yet to become stationary. But, its getting closer! :yes http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/space1.html

When I was being told a while back that it was in geostationary orbit that ended up being wrong. It was put into orbit just not its final orbital location nor was it in geostationary orbit. Just so you guys and gals know they did figure out what the problem was (someone made a big mistake that cost him/her their job) and everything is back in working order and should start testing by both Boeing and DirecTV soon. It was originally planned that Boeing themselves would test it first and once they were done they would hand it off to DirecTV for their round of testing but it seems that they will be doing joint testing now.

Spaceway 2 has no specific ETA and the delays now are mainly due to launch schedules. It should have no problem going up before football season starts and once its up they will just do basic system checks which will take less than 30 days. I've heard that the first 15 days of testing for SW2 will be testing the satellite by its self while the next 15 days or so of testing will be done with both SW1 & 2 because as we know they both will need to work together. Both of these two satellites will be linked as one for some reason and I'm not sure why or what the benefits are for this. Also the next two satellites going up after SW2 to complete the HDTV mix will also work in the sameway but they won't be linked to the first two sats just themselves. This means that once the third satellite goes up they can't use it to its fullest extent until the fourth one goes up shortly after.

I am about to ask a question in an area I know enough about to be dangerous - so proceed with caution :)

Can I assume that the Spotbeams must be set up in advance (prior to launch) and cannot be changed on the fly on satellites?

If that is the case, as I would assume, then it would seem that somewhere in the FCC filings we could find out how many (if not all) Transponders were set up for Spotbeam and/or Conus as well as the area they intend the Spotbeam(s) to cover?

If all the above is true, it would seem you could get a true indication of the capabilities of the fleet - both LIL and Conus.

Sorry for my ignorance, but can someone tell me what the acronyms LIL and Conus refer to?

gchasse said:
Sorry for my ignorance, but can someone tell me what the acronyms LIL and Conus refer to?

LIL = Local into Local - DBS company provides local channels into local markets that they serve.

ConUS = Continental US - Normally refers to satellite orbital positions that can conver the continental United States. Examples, D* at 101 and E* at 110 are ConUS, E* at 61.5 isn't since it normally doesn't reach the west coast and E* at 148 isn't since it normally doesn't reach the east coast.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)