Spaceway 2

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

OneBigJedi

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Dec 12, 2005
I been told that after some delays, Spaceway 2 was launched on Nov 16. Spaceway 2 is not yet in geostationary orbit as I understand it. Does anyone know when DTV thinks that the bird will be in place at 99 degrees and ready for service?

Merry Christmas!

If this is the new satellite that my coworkers told me was put up by Direc TV recently, does anyone have any idea when it might start to be used and what new HD channels it will bring. Forgive me for asking - I am a newbie.

raoul5788 said:
The site says nothing about S2 being in geostationary orbit, and it lists the
position as 102.97 degrees, not 99.2.
Chip

Correct. Once in geostationary orbit it will undergoe about a month of testing before being turned over to D*.

Last edited:
wolfman said:
Correct. Once in geostationary orbit it will undergoe about a month of testing before being turned over to D*.

I just checked the site and now it is apparently in geostationary orbit.

Chip

Last edited:
hdtoby said:
If this is the new satellite that my coworkers told me was put up by Direc TV recently, does anyone have any idea when it might start to be used and what new HD channels it will bring. Forgive me for asking - I am a newbie.
The first two of these satellites, Spaceway 1 and Spaceway 2, will launch in 2005 with programming being offered to consumers by the middle of the year. These satellites will have the capacity for more than 500 local HD channels. With these satellites, DIRECTV will have the ability to bring local HD programming to most of the U.S. population, as well as continuing to expand standard-definition local offerings and other enhancements.

The next two satellites, DIRECTV 10 and DIRECTV 11, will launch in early 2007. These satellites will have the capacity for more than 1,000 additional local HD channels, more than 150 national HD channels, and other new programming offerings. These satellites will provide DIRECTV the capability to bring local and national HD programming and other advanced services to every U.S. household. Consumers will be able to receive all of these services, as well as existing DIRECTV® programming, with a single small satellite dish.

The text above was pulled from the following D* Sep 8, 2004 release. They missed the mid-2005 date by a few months.
http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/aboutus/headline.jsp?id=09_08_2004A

raoul5788 said:
This link shows it being in geostationary orbit.
http://www.lyngsat.com/space2.html
It was updated on Dec 21st.

This link says it isn't geostationary yet.
http://www.lyngsat.com/tracker/space2.html
but it was last updated Dec 15th, so who knows? :confused:

Chip

Longhorn XP:
Can you tell us which if either link is correct for Spaceway 2? Thanks.

Chip

Looks like it's blown past its orbit. Lyngsat is saying it's at 80 degrees west and each time I refresh the tracker page the number keeps decreasing. It making an orbit around the planet or something? Think Lyngsat might be messed up or D* is putting it into a test orbit before moving it to 99.

Last edited:
gene1138 said:
Looks like it's blown past its orbit. Lyngsat is saying it's at 80 degrees west and each time I refresh the tracker page the number keeps decreasing. It making an orbit around the planet or something? Think Lyngsat might be messed up or D* is putting it into a test orbit before moving it to 99.

Its very close to being in orbit and don't pay much attention to these sites as of now because they won't be accurate. Its close enough so that is all ya'll need to know.

Last edited by a moderator:
long horn,

spoke to boise today and after getting the issues resolved, i asked a guy i have known for 5 years, here goes.

spaceway 1 IS broadcasting, he would not say more than that.

spaceway 2 is in its proper orbit and is being readied to broadcast, again he would say no more other than, lingsat gets its info from them and they are not providing any.....!!!????

they may be waiting to do it with a major news release, who knows.

...Consumers will be able to receive all of these services, as well as existing DIRECTV® programming, with a single small satellite dish.
OK...let me get this straight.

We have 99, 101, 103, 110, and 119 up there with 99 and 103 being the new sats.

There are 2 more going up? Will these replace or add to the mix?

As for the comment above.

By 2007, we'll be able to get this with one single, small satellite dish? So this is saying that the new AT9/5LNB dish won't be needed? We'll be able to use one, small dish? How many LNB's will this dish have and what birds will it aim at?

Proc said:

By 2007, we'll be able to get this with one single, small satellite dish? So this is saying that the new AT9/5LNB dish won't be needed? We'll be able to use one, small dish? How many LNB's will this dish have and what birds will it aim at?

It's rumored that DirecTV will bring a smaller dish to the market without the 110/119 lnb extension arm after DirecTV 10 and 11 are launched. (Those Ka band satellites will be colocated with the Spaceway sats on 99 and 103.) The core locations would then be 99, 101, and 103. (The dish would technically be 3 lnbs, but I'd speculate that they would be integrated into one casing as with the AT9.)

GeorgeLV said:
It's rumored that DirecTV will bring a smaller dish to the market without the 110/119 lnb extension arm after DirecTV 10 and 11 are launched. (Those Ka band satellites will be colocated with the Spaceway sats on 99 and 103.) The core locations would then be 99, 101, and 103. (The dish would technically be 3 lnbs, but I'd speculate that they would be integrated into one casing as with the AT9.)

Now that is good news.

I was going to get the AT9 and do the pole mount/trench the coax back to the house in the spring, which I really don't want to do. However, I will gladly hold out for a small dish that is aimed at 99/101/103. Heck, I could get the dish off the garage and back on the house again like I did when I had the single LNB.

Is this rumor regarding using only 99/101/103 or is there something substantial to this? No more 110/119 would be welcome to me.

gene1138 said:
Directv does not yet have control over SW2. Boeing still controls it and are completing the testing phase! They should be handing it over to D* sometime between Jan/Feb!

Proc said:
No more 110/119 would be welcome to me.
The validity of this is based on the fact that D* is planning to do away with MPEG2 once Directv10 & 11 are up and running! At that point
it is planned that all channels will eventually become MPEG4!

Last edited:
Hand Over Date

I glad to here the Jan/Feb time frame. Because it does seems to me that they are having some trouble with this bird. It seems that they are having trouble parking it the correct obrit location. Maybe it is just me, but it sure feels like it only took DTV a couple of weeks to get their other birds up, stable, and test broadcasting. This bird went up on Nov. 16, that is about six weeks ago. If someone with some inside information will update us it would be very welcome.

Happy New Year!!!

Proc said:

proc,

from what ive heard, we will have core programming at the 101, the same as now with the 99 and 103 being spaceway spot beam slots. the dish SHOULD be identical to the phase 3 with a tighter catch window (you are only looking at 5 degrees as opposed to 18) and a different LNB....because of the KU/KA mix.

as to the 2 undelivered birds, i know one is going to the 101, dont remember where the other is going to park at.

OneBigJedi said:
I glad to here the Jan/Feb time frame. Because it does seems to me that they are having some trouble with this bird. It seems that they are having trouble parking it the correct obrit location. Maybe it is just me, but it sure feels like it only took DTV a couple of weeks to get their other birds up, stable, and test broadcasting. This bird went up on Nov. 16, that is about six weeks ago. If someone with some inside information will update us it would be very welcome.
Happy New Year!!!

I dont think theres a much more reliable source of inside information than Longhorn's in post #11..

Tx Longhorn!

guffy1 said:
I dont think theres a much more reliable source of inside information than Longhorn's in post #11..
Tx Longhorn!

Your welcome and also keep in mind everyone that it still needs to stay in the hands of boeing for several weeks. Once boeing signs off and gives the satellites control over to DirecTV than DirecTV will need todo their testing for at least two weeks but no more than a month. Once that is done everything must be unlinked to the satellites. Once all that is done they will start their massive installation process for those in the new markets served. This will be a process that won't be going as fast as anyone on here would like.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts