Spaceway F2 set for Launch Nov 9th!

Status
Please reply by conversation.
So does this mean we wont be getting HD locals anytime in october or november?

maogdamian said:
The newest posting by Directv, Guess well see what happens.

Where is this posting? I checked directv.com and could not find it.

Chip

minorthr said:
So does this mean we wont be getting HD locals anytime in october or november?

Most likely no. They will have to await for the satellite to be parked in orbit and operational testing, then once DirecTV receives control of the satellite, they will have to perform their own in-house testing. Longhorn might be able to explain about how long that process can take if all goes well.

raoul5788 said:
Where is this posting? I checked directv.com and could not find it.

Chip

I saw it on skyreport yesterday. You can probably confirm from numerous sources with a Google search.

We're all anxious, but this really has never been a D* issue. Spaceway F2 has been at the launch facility and ready to fly for a long time. D* does not control the launch facility.

Let's all remember, this delay has (and continues to) cost D* a TON of money. We could all have been paying more for additional HD content, which they have not been able to deliver. D* wants this thing flying.

All the testing will take about a month. With a normal satellite launch it would take about two weeks but Boeing wants two weeks so combined with D*s two weeks it will endup taking a month. After that month it might take weeks to get everything uplinked and ready to go. Most of the 12 markets will get upgraded before years end unless they change their minds again.

Hmm... Spaceway 1 is up and spaceway 2 is up, from what i understand spaceway 2 is a backup satellite. We sent up Directv 7 or something like that. Spaceway F1 is to go up not by bowing but a european source. Original launch dates were delayed because we could not gain access to portugals water space, since we had declaired war. Only way to fly this sat from there would have been to empeach our president (which i wouldn't mind) so we moved over to europe for launch. They had to do some adjusments on sat to launch becuase they feared the fuel tanks could not handle such a distant move in space. Im sure ill be corrected if im wrong but all the articles ive read have clearly stated this....

Spaceway 2 is not up. It is not a backup sat. The war has nothing to do with anything. It's also launching from south america, not europe. Finally the delay had to do with the other sat in the launch (TELKOM 2), it had to be repaired.

maogdamian said:
Hmm... Spaceway 1 is up and spaceway 2 is up, from what i understand spaceway 2 is a backup satellite. We sent up Directv 7 or something like that. Spaceway F1 is to go up not by bowing but a european source. Original launch dates were delayed because we could not gain access to portugals water space, since we had declaired war. Only way to fly this sat from there would have been to empeach our president (which i wouldn't mind) so we moved over to europe for launch. They had to do some adjusments on sat to launch becuase they feared the fuel tanks could not handle such a distant move in space. Im sure ill be corrected if im wrong but all the articles ive read have clearly stated this....
we declared war on portugal?

Sheer speculation here, but my guess is that Spaceway 1 is will be ready to start transmitting on Nov. 1 to the first 12 DMA's. Spaceway 2 is not absolutely needed, but could function as a backup to SW1 in case of a catastrophic failure. D* does not want to promote HD locals until they are sure they have a backup satellite in orbit.

Once SW2 is fully operational, then D* may start start the ball rolling for the second 12 DMA's since either SW1 or SW2 could probably handle the first 24 independently.

Losing a satellite would be expensive, but I'm sure D* has an insurance policy in place. The real loss would be the thousands of subscribers leaving D* if their HD locals service were abruptly interrupted for an indefinite period of time.

JustBob said:
War on Portugal! About time. Next let's go after Switzerland for putting all those holes in the cheese.

-JustBob

On a side note, its amazing how neutral people think Switzerland is. Look at their history during WWII and the money hiding and laundering that went on. Nothing neutral or innocent about that country. I wonder how much Oil and Drug money they are hiding for known and unknown criminals.

peterl1365 said:
Sheer speculation here, but my guess is that Spaceway 1 is will be ready to start transmitting on Nov. 1 to the first 12 DMA's. Spaceway 2 is not absolutely needed, but could function as a backup to SW1 in case of a catastrophic failure. D* does not want to promote HD locals until they are sure they have a backup satellite in orbit.

Once SW2 is fully operational, then D* may start start the ball rolling for the second 12 DMA's since either SW1 or SW2 could probably handle the first 24 independently.

Losing a satellite would be expensive, but I'm sure D* has an insurance policy in place. The real loss would be the thousands of subscribers leaving D* if their HD locals service were abruptly interrupted for an indefinite period of time.
perhaps you should perform a search before posting total nonsense

LonghornXP said:
All the testing will take about a month. With a normal satellite launch it would take about two weeks but Boeing wants two weeks so combined with D*s two weeks it will endup taking a month. After that month it might take weeks to get everything uplinked and ready to go. Most of the 12 markets will get upgraded before years end unless they change their minds again.

Thank you Longhorn....I do think you know what I've have been asking. You have been more than honest. I'm not in the 1st group of 12......until D* does take care of that group, everyone else follows (I hope with speed). Thank you my friend!

Barney

D* does have a backup bird in space. Remeber D*8 has Ka capacity. So if there were a problem with one of the Spaceways, it could be used in a pinch.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 1, Members: 0, Guests: 1)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)