Not open for further replies.

TheForce

SatelliteGuys Master
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Pub Member / Supporter
Oct 13, 2003
Jacksonville, FL, Earth
For the past several months I have been receiving a new type of spam that advertises penney stocks.

The e-mail spam always comes from a different e-mail source. The subject seems like nonrelated random words. The body usually contains one or more blocks of random words and phrases with no relationship or logical commonality. So far the e-mail spam is just pure gibberish.

The advertising part is a jpg of a stock perspectus. The stocks are all different but appear to be legit, ie I could use that information to go buy from my broker if I wanted. But you can't copy / paste the information because it is just a jpg graphic. Sometimes the spam has more than one graphic, that is the complete data info on the stock is split between one or more graphics.

Any ideas on how I could create a spam eradicator rule to auto delete these? I normally use "I hate spam" tool which works well except on this type of e-mail.

I, too, would love to learn how to block this stuff. I've maxed out my rules in Outlook. Many of us MUST use Outlook at work, for Exchange features and commonality.

Not sure there is a way. Even with the ISP doing screening, the local server screening, and my desktop screening- I still get a lot of SPAM and it's taking more and more of my time just to filter it for myself and others on the net. I may break down and buy a server based aftermarket filter of some sort. The problem is, we can't tolerate losing email falsely identified as SPAM. So I still have the spam dumped into a folder that I must review. And stuff does get retrieved. I can put someone on the Safe Sender list and they still get removed as spam.

If you use Outlook I would recommend the "In-Boxer" utility. IT is cheap (about $29.95) and works very well.

This looks good. Do you know if it blocks jpg emails as described in post #1?

I believe this is shareware so you get a few days to try it out to see iof it works as claimed. I could not find anything significant on it that will screen e-mail with the jpg display plus random word groups.

What puzzles me about the spam is that it comes through with the jpg displayed. All my other e-mail comes through with images disabled and I have to request the images by right clicking to download them.

One suggestion from John Diovorak is to disable all html and only receive text but this would still not screen the spam in this case.

Suddenly, I'm getting dozens of emails with subject IDs like

It's (name) followed by a colon and right paren. But if I put in the colon-right paren here, it becomes the smiley.

At least they screen out easily. Anybody else getting this particular spam?

Suddenly, I'm getting dozens of emails with subject IDs like

It's (name) followed by a colon and right paren. But if I put in the colon-right paren here, it becomes the smiley.

At least they screen out easily. Anybody else getting this particular spam?

I get so much of that and it seems it's even worse than it's ever been. I have two email addresses that have to be published on our web site and I spend a lot time clearing them out. Some of it is IP specific...there some things I get at home that I don't get at work.

I agree, this round of spam from the last month or two, is brutal. I don't know that there is anything that clears out the crap 100% and leaves what you need alone. I have to scan my spam file for legitimate email.

I wish there was some serious methods to find out where it comes from, find the little bastard and shoot him in the head during the Superbowl halftime. That's the only way it will stop.

For the spam that uses a body copy which is a data sheet jpg image, I thouight the only way would be to use an OCR in the spam detection software.

I get one or two of those a day to... Unfortunately, I can't block them all because I don't know where they are all coming from. I have to send out letters all over the place as part of my day job, and those have my email address on them in signature... so God only knows where they picked up my email address...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)