Spammed by Dish-on-Demand

Pepper

DVR Addict~Mad Scientist
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Mar 16, 2004
Satsuma, AL
I have noticed recently that shows are appearing in Dish on Demand "My Rentals" that I did not download. No way anyone in my house told it to download SpongeBob or iCarly or Tosh.0 and they show as expiring in "Less than 1 minute" but will in fact stay there until deleted. I don't appreciate it wasting my slow DSL connection to retrieve junk I am just going to delete.

Spam downloaded from the satellite is bad enough, at least it doesn't use my Internet to do that.

What kind of hook up do you have? May have a neighbor that is using a RF remote and your tv 2 RF remote us the same address. In that case they could be ordering these programs and your receiver is also being controlled and downloading them as well. I'd one change your remote address.

Maybe others will post, but I have never had any downloads automatically appear, have not seen anyone else post so either. (In Dish Online or Movies and More)

Are you perhaps talking about TV Entertainment? That's not done by internet.....

Last edited:
Dish On Demand > TV Shows > My Rentals

The same place where I downloaded an ep of Torchwood, definitely ate my bandwidth for a while.

So you're suggesting that random kids in random neighborhoods all decided to order SpongeBob and iCarly at the same time. OK.

My house is far enough from neighbors that it couldn't be, but I'll check it anyway.

The "expires in less than 1 minute" thing is a dead giveaway that it's not a normal download if you ask me.

The one I actually watched was a normal length, yes. And though it expired in "less than one minute" it didn't expire whilst I was watching and still had not when it was done.

The one I actually watched was a normal length, yes. And though it expired in "less than one minute" it didn't expire whilst I was watching and still had not when it was done.

second that. icarly episode. Mel Gibson movie The Beaver was also downloaded, or so it said, but has since expired. Again, neighbors not possible and nobody in my house is downloading that movie. It certainly looks like Dish is delivering unrequested video over broadband. Not cool.

I've been contacted by Darlene F. of Echostar software engineering, she wants my receiver ID so they can look at the logs. She also asked if the others of you would be willing to send her the same info. PM me for the email address.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)