Speak Spanish? Get the playboy channel for free.

coinmaster32

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Sep 25, 2010
USA
Maybe it's just me, but I don't think it's fair to get a channel for free just because your from a Spanish speaking country.

However, it appears that playboy en espanol is included free of charge in all the Dish Latino packages. Even the cheapest one "Latino Basico".

Dish charges 16.00 a month for it for all English speaking packages.

Even the most expensive English package, the "Everything package", which includes channels like HBO, doesn't come with it either.

Now I don't watch playboy, mainly because it's in SD, and everything on it can be seen free of charge on the internet, so it's a waste of $16 a month.

Would I watch if it was free of charge? Sure.

However, I think it's almost racist, in a way, to charge English speaking ethnicites $16 a month for something, and give it for free in all packages to Spanish speaking ethnicities.

It just doesn't sit right with me, either everyone should get it for free, or everyone should be charged for it.

It's been this way for a very long time. Different cultures call for a different type of package. Doesn't seem fair I know but I'm sure there are plenty of channels we get that the latino packages do not get.

Its been this way since they added spanish packages.

Was never sure why it was setup this way... I have seen cable systems setup the same way so it must be something with playboy.

Its been this way since they added spanish packages.

Was never sure why it was setup this way... I have seen cable systems setup the same way so it must be something with playboy.

The retailer guides even mention it. It states that it is free with Dish but not with DirecTV which charges a monthly fee.

Example:
http://www.dish.com/redirects/partners/searssalessupport/pdf/dish-sales-guide.pdf

Although I replied to Scott's post, this is not directed at him necessarily (as I know he knows this already) or his post:
I should also add that American subs can sub to Dish Latino packages and have English and bilingual channels.

Last edited:
The guide mentions it's free with Dish and NOT AVAILABLE with DirecTV. DirecTV does not offer the Spanish version. There is a big difference here.

I also changed the link from an older guide, too. However, I was not sure about the safety of the site. So, I thought it was safer going with the Dish site.

IIRC one can substitute Playboy for one of the premium channels if you get a 2, 3 or 4 pack of premium channels. For a while there Dish offered a pack of 5 premiums before they had Epix which included the 4 premium packages and Playboy.

I, for one, don't like the fact that if I get a Latino package, I am paying for Playboy whether I want it or not.

Here is a channel lineup card if anyone is wondering what English and bilingual channels are included along with the Spanish channels:
http://www.mydish.com/downloads/channel-lineup/onlinechannel_latino.pdf

Note: It was last updated on March 10 probably for the addition of Tennis Channel to Dish Latino Max.

Disney (E) HD and Disney (W) have been lowered as we are getting them with Dish Latino Dos.

Last I heard ESPNews SD is still in Dish Latino Max, but no HD has been added, yet.

I, for one, don't like the fact that if I get a Latino package, I am paying for Playboy whether I want it or not.

It is listed as a separate option with a checkbox (Playboy en Espanol $0.00) if you want it or not when you log in to your Dish account. I think it is under a la carte.

Do you like all the channels in the package that you are paying for? I am just saying...I for one am not crazy about all the shopping channels, but someone else may like all the shopping channels and may even want them in HD. One can choose to make a favorites list with or without them. One can even block them or lock them out.

Last edited:
Nothing is free. The reason the packages cost so much is because of Playboy. All the other channels put together would cost 1/4 without Playboy.

Shopping channels PAY to be on satellite and cable systems.

Nothing is free. The reason the packages cost so much is because of Playboy. All the other channels put together would cost 1/4 without Playboy.

We had AT 250 around 2009 and 2010. Around late 2010 or early 2011, we switched from America's Top 250 and BB@Home (which was probably named differently then) to Dish Latino Dos with Encore a la carte. At the time, America's Top 120 did not have Sirius XM while Dish Latino Dos (which also qualified for HD Free for Life) did. Dos also has some channels that we like such as Boomerang which is in AT250.

When the kids visit, they like Boomerang along with Disney XD (which is in AT200), Baby TV [not to be confused with Baby First TV] (which is a la carte in the $6/month Heartland package), and The Hub (which was in AT250 but now AT200 or a la carte in the $6/month Heartland Package). From time to time, we like to watch GSN which was a recent addition to Dos (along with Dish America and the $6/month Heartland Package) for some of the older shows which usually play in the morning.

The addition of Disney (East) HD and Disney (West) is a welcomed one as the younger kids are starting to get into Mickey Mouse Clubhouse. Before that, we put on (and still do put on) our local PBS in HD; unfortunately, one of the two affiliates we catch went from PBS to independent and no longer shows PBS programming. The oldest child loves Boomerang and The Hub.

Dos is now the same price as AT120.

Don't get me wrong; the Welcome Pack is tempting for $19.99/month. However, just locals would be in HD and no Sirius XM. However, we could try putting our Sirius XM radio inside or sub to the Internet streaming of it. However, I read it sounds best on Dish. It is also easier for those who are not that tech savvy to type in 60xx instead.

I guess what I am trying to say is that there is more to the Dish Latino packs than just this one channel. It is all about what channels you want, and I am all for options as long as it does not get outrageous with the pricing structure. I should also add that none of us really even know Spanish. I took four courses of Spanish in college. Don't get me wrong; I wish I was fluent in Spanish, too. Then, I could watch the Spanish only channels and fully understand. I like the channels that translate through English closed captioning and subtitles.

Last edited:
If you want to hear something that is REALLY backwards, I only got Baby First TV en Espanol with America's Everything Pack, but I now have Baby TV (in English) after subscribing to Latino Bonus for FOX / ESPN Deportes. Why is the Spanish channel available in my English language pack, but the English channel is only available in Latino Bonus (or the Heartland pack)?

If you want to hear something that is REALLY backwards, I only got Baby First TV en Espanol with America's Everything Pack, but I now have Baby TV (in English) after subscribing to Latino Bonus for FOX / ESPN Deportes. Why is the Spanish channel available in my English language pack, but the English channel is only available in Latino Bonus (or the Heartland pack)?

Good question. I think Baby TV used to be on channel 126. Then, I think it got moved to 824. I think we always got it on 824 and that it was in green on the guide to sub to when looking at it in the guide on 126.

Playboy TV and Baby T:popcornV in the same thread, interesting..

Making babies with the WeatherChicks on the Spanish channels is what I'm thinking...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)