Speaker/Receiver Recommendations

OTOH, if one is looking for a set to pair with a $300 receiver, they might do the trick nicely.
I seem to recall that's what the original poster was looking for. With a bigger budget, I might go to a bigger speaker system. With the suggested budget, this is a great bang for the buck.

Well that being said; keep you expectations low and you may be surprised.. If you are looking for true quality sound reproduction; put in a few more buck, a bit higher expectation, and get something else. IMHO

Does being a truck driver qualify one to race NASCAR?
It might, as those are both pretty simplistic things. In fact, truck driving is probably more complex. The hardest thing about NASCAR appears to be being small and light enough to fit through the window and not weigh the car down too much.

However, being responsible for, and working with, equipment that is used to actually CREATE music and audio recording and playback would certainly qualify one to have a valid opinion on the equipment that is used to merely reproduce it on an infinitely smaller scale.

But, you go ahead and buy whatever you want. I'm sure those crappy speakers will suit you just fine. Or, maybe you prefer speakers costing thousands that are complete ripoffs? Either way, I'm sure you'll be happy.

Performing well with music usually means 2 channel stereo. Not trying to patronize.
I broke down and bought a Samsung 5.1 surround to match my Samsung plasma tv, and I am very pleased, even when listening to music exclusively.
The unit was cheap, like $300.
There are no noticeable holes in the response. The little sub is surprisingly accurate and powerful.

For under $500, you should test drive models at the store with your own album of choice.
Otherwise, you could probably buy an awesome used unit (for that price) for two channel stereo and really hear your music.

I have two Nakamichi TA4A receivers, circa 1984ish. Thay draw -according to the manuals specification, 20 amps max from the wall plug. MAX.

Anything with all the video switching you desire will cost thousands new, Lesser models will have the same Hitachi transistors as all the other tuner/amps at the store which usually pull no more than 8-10 amps.

To avoid confusion, what do you want? Do you have room for separate systems?

Home theater is a much different creature than quality listening.

Example:

An old system with a Carver hologram generator (unlikely) and some Polk speakers with harmonic resonators will make your hair stand up in the dark.
Truly a unique experience if the room is right.

If you can find a pair of TDL monitors you can listen to an even larger frequency of sound.

Finding an amp or tuner amp with plenty of headroom will make you happy.
Respond with questions, but just do this when possible: Take a poor recording like Alice in Chains "Dirt" and listen to it. Then play Foreigner "4" and hear the difference. Only examples I have, and my opinion.
If you have the "bug" for music, you'll know what I'm saying.

Thanks,

Tom

if you're lookng at a great performing speaker at a good price check out the british mission speakers over at tsto.com. a sub is probably the HARDEST to implement correctly in a room- given a given room's acoustic issues. also you really don't want to skimp on the sub. after you get set up go purchase an analog SPL meter at radio shack to correctly calibrate your HT speaker and sub levels. i could go on all day about all this stuff but, i won't.

you can get some brand new discontinued models over at tsto.com w/ full warranty for anywhere between $69 - $2000+ per pair. obviously fo the OP he would be looking for something in the lower price tier. but, even thier $60-$70 pairs have an MSRP of $200-ish and will probably beat most similarly priced speakers (and much more epensive) hands own.

thier subwoofers suck though! for a good small sub i would say the onix x-sub. but you really need to go up for a god sub. SVS cylinder subs (what i use) IMO carry a good bang for the $.

i use missions exclusively in all my systems here at home (even on my mac) and love them.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)