Speaker Suggestions

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

thewfool

Original poster
Jun 18, 2007
I am starting to build my home theater. I have a big HDTV, but I don't have any surround sound at all. What I would like to do is purchace a future-proof amplifier and cheap speakers; when I have more cash, I'll upgrade to good speakers.

I don't want to buy junk, but I want to save money so that I can afford a better amp and better speakers in the future.

I'm not sure what I should look for, does anyone have suggestions?

There is one cardinal rule: Never buy Bose.

"No highs, no lows,
Must be Bose."

On the receiver side- how future proof? Do you want HDMI 1.3? 5.1 or 7.1? There are many good choices out there. Read these forums, and look at Denon and Onkyo. And did you really mean "amp" - or meant to say "receiver?"

I spent a lot more on my speakers than I did on my receiver- and more than I will likely spend on my next receiver.

I'm sure people more knowledgeable than I will chime in to help. Welcome to our little community!

I suppose I did mean amp, not receiver. I'm not an audiophile by any means, I'm building my system for movies and HDTV. I'll never notice subtle differences in audio that most people would.

I would like hdmi 1.3, and I'm not sure about 5.1/6.1/7.1. I am leaning towards a 7.1 capable amp and starting with a 5.1 speaker configuration.

I have been looking at the Onkyo SR674 online (thanks to a suggestion here), and I'm heading to circuit city to play with one. My most important features are the support for BD and hddvd, enough inputs for my devices (3 component, 1 hdmi, plus room for expansion) and usefulness in the future.

Another question: My TV supports HDMI 1.3 (Samsung DLP), but the amp I am looking at only supports 1.1. Is this an issue? Could it become an issue in the future? Is HDMI 1.3 just higher bandwith or are there other concerns?

Another question: My TV supports HDMI 1.3 (Samsung DLP), but the amp I am looking at only supports 1.1. Is this an issue? Could it become an issue in the future? Is HDMI 1.3 just higher bandwith or are there other concerns?

It really depends on which options they adopted with 1.3 Much is optional. HDMi is backwards compatable, so there shouldn't be a problem.

When you say amp, you are referring to an integrated receiver, correct? Don't skimp. You can get an Onkyo or Denon for between 599 and 1699 depending on the model both with HDMI 1.3. I personally like Denon's sound better, but everyone has different tastes. See if you can audition them somewhere in a setup that is similar to your home. Denon's won't be out until early August or so, but the Onkyo's have started hitting the floors.

Klipsch makes very nice speaker systems that work great for home theater. The RB series is great. I do a lot of RB81's. They are about $3,000 MSRP for 5.1. The RB61's are about $1700 for a 5.1 set and are extremely nice, also.

Best bet is to shop, shop, shop and see what sounds best to you.

S~

A co-worker of mine just went out and forked-over a grand for a HT system/speakers that was complete junk...and he actually thought he was saving 4K. Ugh!

Anyway, I purchased a pair of Bose 701s and 301s when I got into HT back in the last 90s. However, I quickly dumped them when I got an ear-shot from a pair of Klipsch KLF series speakers. I keep upgrading my Yamaha receivers, but the KLFs are going on nine years old and won't be going anywhere soon.

I gave the Bose and an older pair of Infinity speakers to my daughters.

Well it turns out that I'm an idiot and read the spec sheet for the wrong model of TV (doh!). So I went ahead and skipped HDMI 1.3 support and bought the Onkyo SR674. It should ship in a few days.

I bought a really cheap set of speakers to tide myself over, will buy nicer ones when some bills are paid off. That and nice speakers still have to have a high WAF!

A co-worker of mine just went out and forked-over a grand for a HT system/speakers that was complete junk...and he actually thought he was saving 4K. Ugh!

Anyway, I purchased a pair of Bose 701s and 301s when I got into HT back in the last 90s. However, I quickly dumped them when I got an ear-shot from a pair of Klipsch KLF series speakers. I keep upgrading my Yamaha receivers, but the KLFs are going on nine years old and won't be going anywhere soon.

I gave the Bose and an older pair of Infinity speakers to my daughters.

That's the funny thing about speakers. I think Klipsch are awful, much too bright, but that is my ear. They certainly are well made of good quality parts. If you like them, that's what matters most about speakers. I have a set of four Def Tech BP2006's and a CLR2300 for the center with a Yamaha RX-V2300 receiver. I really like the sound, but I'll bet you wouldn't at all.

I just purchased a new Onkyo TX-SR 805 with HDMI 1.3 and wow is this AV receiver awesome. It does everything I want, need and could possible need in the future. With the price point well below what others are selling theirs for makes it an exceptional bargain. Check it out. I purchased it from OneCall on line. The specs are a plus and in the real world it performs at least as good as if not better than any of the others even the ones costing much more. 130 clean watts per channel and more inputs/outputs than you can shake a stick at. What's more, it up-converts all video signals to either HDMI or Component, whichever you decide to use. Add to that a surround sound microphone for setting the proper surround levels and bi amping if you so desire and you have a Rolls Royce for the price of a Toyota.

This with a set of Paradigm speakers would have you in awe now and in years to come. But you want inexpensive speakers (although Paradigm's are rated best price for value), you could always go to your local Best Buy or Circuit City and audition inexpensive speakers.

The main point here is to listen to a variety of speakers and choose which sounds best for the money and remember, stay away from Bose.

Sony SS-F5000

Want a cheap pair of outstanding speakers, get the sony ss-f5000s. Excellent speakers and you'll probably want to keep them as part of your surround sound when you upgrade.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts