Special Nov 25th Retailer Charlie Chat Details

Ransack said:
All this is making my head spin....I still don't know what this means for me

I currently have a Dish 500 and get Wash DC Locals.....when i upgrade and get an 811 or 921, will i need another Dish to get HD programming???

I have seen mention of having to have 2 Dish 500s due to this change
A Dish500 will get you all the HD available (well at least in the very near future when HBO-Showtime HD channels are moved) and probably whatever comes along in HD in the next 6+ months but I think longer out into the future you will need a second (wing slot) dish to get any additional HD after that. Retailers were told by Charlie in the chat that it would be advisable for us to install a wing slot dish when doing any HD installs if we want the customer to be ready for future HD. Don't see any other reason for us to be told that unless it was true that the more distant future additions of HD will be going to the wings.

We were also told that any HD boxes (811, 921's) shipping will NOT have Superdishes but indeed 2 Dish500 dishes, 1 DP Twin LNBF, 1 DP Dual LNBF, and 2 DP 2 to 1 switches. The prices are still the same but the dish setups are now different. I still have a hunch that they could be working on a single mount/dual dish setup that could alleviate any backlash from those who do not want to have two seperate dishes installed. The only ones then that would require a two seperate dish setup would be those who have locals on Superdish ot those who can not get all three slots from one location, and even then they may be able to figure out a single mount dual dish setup for a Superdish/Dish500/300 as well for the customers with Superdish locals.

TNGTony here http://www.dbstalk.com/showthread.php?t=20816 at dbstalk posted a more up to date list of the channel allocations. He reports that TP 20 now has 8 channels and TP 25 has 12 channels.

The available space for HD channels on 110 continues to dwindle. Getting HBO, SHO and two new HD channels is going to take some pretty creative shuffling of the existing allocations.

Fond memories. I worked for Echostar for about 6 months as a CSR/tech. Can you imagine?

I haven't followed all the new equipment offerings but I'm sure familiar with the chaos. It should be the Dish roofing company.

If the 921 is a picture in picture style receiver then the real question is how many receivers in the house. The kit you described would only support one PIP receiver capable of 3 sat locations.

It's been awhile, but I think it was a 721 when I was there that was latest and greatest. It's basically 2 tuners in one box to do what it does. Therefore it needs both 110/119 outputs from the TWIN to perform on one tv. The second dish and it's DUAL makes two outputs for a 3rd sat location. The sw21s join the outputs from both dishes and you end up with 2 outputs that can only support one receiver.

It's a messy business with many changes and configurations. So if you call support, cut the tech some slack. I had to leave since I couldn't beat the clock. Oppressive work place, be it all for everyone, new accounts, billing issues, 30 promotions, upsell. Beat the clock, 8 minute calls is the goal.

The person that you talk to that listens and sticks it out trying to give you useful service can not exist in that environment.

They create new problems at lightning speed. I think the greatest energy is spent on filing and defending lawsuits.

bytre said:
How about moving all the shop at home type channels to 105 or 121. Who would complain about losing those?

The owners of these networks probably have clauses in tehir contracts requiring them to be on 110 or 119. Otherwise, he could just shovel them to the side satellites and pocket the checks, which would cut the available viewers dramatically.

Here is a easy one ,Charlie find space(61.5 or 110)add StarzHD and I buy Starz's movie package-you make more money(I assume they are more people like me who will do the same)

I never thought about that BobMurdoch, but perhaps they would require it to be on the same dish as the other stations are on in which SuperDish would be iffy since it is a one dish solution but they could have actually stated that it would have to go to 110 and/or 119 or they would not sell to them.

stop making excusese

for dish's mistakes. why is that some dealers always makes excuses for dish mistakes and stupid moves from the ceo. Charlie have a bunch of retailers that can not see anything wrong .

he makes rules that are 100% against us and we never see a revolution , we are getting hurt and I don't see a massive numbers of reatailers complaining.

Look for example the Club dish promo . I want 50 for my referrals .

why another dealer gets my referral ? why dish is able to keep my referrals with a bribe? Is this fair business ? of course no. why you take it?

they keep telling us to take good care of your customer but they are the first to still our referrals with a 60.00 bribe. :twisted: :oops: :evil: :x

There are a LOT of complaints that I have against Dish Network but I do not post them over and over all the time as it would irritate the readers. Many people have now realized that there are some issues and Charlie does not even know what is going to happen next or what to do next. It is almost like he is living day to day on this now, at least when it comes to HD. HD is not going to bring in the revenue that local markets can at this time until more people get HD televisions.

AndyMon said:
It's starting to look like Voom just might have a chance of being the HD leader by March 2004, after all. That would be quite a coup.
Strange times, indeed.

VOOM is already the HD leader, it isn't even close. With Direct and OTA, I am able to get 10 HD channels and VOOM is offering 23? Not counting the VOOM OTA's, which is a story all in itself!

All I want are the new premium HD movie channels, but as usual, all lips are sealed and I can't get any info. Most frustrating.

I can see that Voom is going to be the HD leader for a while at the rate things are going. They are dedicating more space to HD than what the other companies are. They should have the most popular channels that are in SD, like the top 50 or 100 of them and have the rest of the channels in HD. They might not have all the SD channels that Dish or Direct has but if they get the most popular ones that should settle most people over.

Stargazer said:
I can see that Voom is going to be the HD leader for a while at the rate things are going. They are dedicating more space to HD than what the other companies are. They should have the most popular channels that are in SD, like the top 50 or 100 of them and have the rest of the channels in HD. They might not have all the SD channels that Dish or Direct has but if they get the most popular ones that should settle most people over.

I'm just a bit curious how Voom can be a viable service. Voom has what, 11 or 12 transponders at 61.5. How can they provide all the HD that's supposed to be coming and all the SD channels with any type of picture quality? I understand that they'll start to use MPEG 4 but not until late 2004.

I have 24 HD channels now and 51 SD channels, according to Lyngsat. Since Lyngsat isn't showing what channels are on what transponder let's assume 10 SD channels and 3 HD per transponder. So that's 5 transponders for SD and 6 for HD, total of 11. They still need to add HBO, Cinemax, Starz and TMC movie channels (or at least HBO and Starz) plus what about ESPN-HD or Bravo-HD. Am I missing something here???

They have newer sophisticated satellites in use. I just saw Voom advertising at the top of the page that the Tiger Woods story about getting engaged to swedish girlfriend

rad said:
I have 24 HD channels now and 51 SD channels, according to Lyngsat. Since Lyngsat isn't showing what channels are on what transponder let's assume 10 SD channels and 3 HD per transponder. So that's 5 transponders for SD and 6 for HD, total of 11. They still need to add HBO, Cinemax, Starz and TMC movie channels (or at least HBO and Starz) plus what about ESPN-HD or Bravo-HD. Am I missing something here???
They have 13 transponders for the next six months or so, 11 licensed and 2 through special temporary authority. They do have the FCC required disclaimer that some of their programming is provided on that temporary space.

JL

jabroni said:
AndyMon said:
It's starting to look like Voom just might have a chance of being the HD leader by March 2004, after all. That would be quite a coup.
Strange times, indeed.

VOOM is already the HD leader, it isn't even close. With Direct and OTA, I am able to get 10 HD channels and VOOM is offering 23? Not counting the VOOM OTA's, which is a story all in itself!

All I want are the new premium HD movie channels, but as usual, all lips are sealed and I can't get any info. Most frustrating.
I meant with legitimate HD programming. Quality over quantity, y'know? Anybody can film a lava lamp in HD and loop it 24/7. That doesn't count in my book. Besides, v* is still in beta until the official big launch in March so I don't count them yet. That said, they do seem to have the bull by the horns and time will tell if they add all the real HD content out there by then. My gut says they will but will it be enough to make them viable without the requisite (currently) SD channels? We'll see.

Perhaps Dish chose to have quality over quantity not wanting to get a bunch of junk HD channels but something worth adding since there is limited space for HD, especially at 110.

Don't be confused....

Everyone seems to misunderstand: Voom isn't poised to be a New Satellite company, there goal/purpose is to be an HD Content Provider. It just happens that their method of delivery is via Satellite. The SD content is only there as fluff to appease the customers, not to WIN the customer over. They are currently in a class by themselves, because they are the only company approaching HD as the Primary Content. They aren't currently targeting the average veiwer, they are looking for those of us who value HD Content over a boatload of SD.

Just My Opinion

AndyMon said:
jabroni said:
AndyMon said:
Strange times, indeed.

I meant with legitimate HD programming. Quality over quantity, y'know? Anybody can film a lava lamp in HD and loop it 24/7. That doesn't count in my book. Besides, v* is still in beta until the official big launch in March so I don't count them yet. That said, they do seem to have the bull by the horns and time will tell if they add all the real HD content out there by then. My gut says they will but will it be enough to make them viable without the requisite (currently) SD channels? We'll see.

Has anyone told Dish about their HD plans?

Has anyone told Dish about their HD plans?

http://www.dishnetwork.com/content/products/superdish/index.shtml

You would think this would be updated to reflect the changes from a week ago.

Re: Don't be confused....

RedWyvern said:
Everyone seems to misunderstand: Voom isn't poised to be a New Satellite company, there goal/purpose is to be an HD Content Provider. It just happens that their method of delivery is via Satellite. The SD content is only there as fluff to appease the customers, not to WIN the customer over. They are currently in a class by themselves, because they are the only company approaching HD as the Primary Content. They aren't currently targeting the average veiwer, they are looking for those of us who value HD Content over a boatload of SD.

Just My Opinion

AndyMon said:
jabroni said:
AndyMon said:
Strange times, indeed.

Red,
This has been discussed/argued ad infinitum, ad neauseum here, on AVS and on the Yahoo V* Group (and probably many other places). While all indications (and my opinion) are that v* is an HD adjunct to other services with more varied content (SD) aimed toward well heeled and/or obsessive early adopter types, many still think that v* will prove to be a stand alone replacement for current providers. Indeed, v* officials claim that they will, in time, have the capacity (via satellites and delivery schemes/technologies, i.e., MPEG4) to provide everything that you need. They're not publically divulging everything they'll do but do claim that it'll not be a problem.
My comment that they may well be the leader in HD unless the others do something drastic still stands. And they are a satellite provider. You are partly right however, many do misunderstand and seem disappointed that v* is not currently carrying more SD at present and unfortunately, the SD they are carrying is some of the worst out there. The dilemma seems to be that they may not reach their stated immediate goal of two million subs without providing a decent core of SD until such time as there is more real HD content available (IOW, much of the current SD in HD or ED). Not many people want to pay two providers and have a dish farm atop their roofs. As always, time will tell.....

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)