Special: SatHawk PVR800 WorldDVB DVB-S2 HD FTA Receiver

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Sadoun

SatelliteGuys Pro
Original poster
Feb 27, 2005
Columbus, OHIO
As you may know, WORLDDVB has just introduced a new HD DVB-S2 receiver. We will import these into the USA in the next 2 weeks. If you are interested in getting one please click on the link below and place your order.

• [FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]R[/FONT][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]eceive Free To Air channels from satellite[/FONT]
  • The most affordable DVB-S2 HD receiver on the market today.
  • Worldwide compatible
  • Linux MIPS Operating System
  • STB main IC solution is ALI , demodulator model is M3501 from Ali
  • HD DVB-S2 SHARP 7306 Tune
Only $199
Ships 1/30/10

Last edited by a moderator:
Is that $199 the regular sales price or just a introductory price when the early bird price runs out?

A lot of detail is lacking to make an informed decision about this receiver and I don't want to be a guinea pig.

Ok here comes the questions.... Blind Scan? This does S2 and 8SPK? etc...
Guess I'm curious how this compares to an AZBOX. Moving up to this would be a big step into the HD world for many of us. Just wanted to make sure what it will and will not do. Thanks Blind:)

This receiver discussion started in PC Cards section, and I suggest to move it to a separate thread for common accessibility into Equipment Reviews or General forum section. Ooops, already moved to General. ;)

Last edited:
Most of the questions asked above were asked in the thread I linked to...

sadly we have not had proof yet that it does blind scan or 4:2:2 other than the manufacturer saying "oh yes it does. Buy it now" and no further proof of a screen grab (yet there are tons of other screen grabs)

As far as this model is concerned:
  • No 4:2:2 out of the box
  • No hardware Blind Search. Only NIT and Auto Search
  • No internal hard-drive included with receiver. You can connect an optional external HD or Flash Memory through USB.
  • E-SATA support is not verified yet, but I suspect it is available. I will check on this for you.

be vary weary of "vapor ware". this kind of reminds me of when the pansat 9200 came out.
by the time you add everything to make it complete you have 600.00 in the box.

TRUCKRACER

All the bells and whistles cost money (in development and hardware cost).

Before, I claim that a feature is included with a receiver, I have to verify it. Even though the manufacturer says, some of these features are available (or possible), I opted not to include it in the specs. It was clarified above as well.

Comparing the above receiver with its current specs to other models in the market today with the same features, I would say it is competitive.

A discussion about this receiver is taking place at this thread:
http://www.satelliteguys.us/free-air-fta-discussion/199400-hd-pvr800-feature-dvb-s2.html

• It's absolutely certain that there is no hardware blind search possible, or only that it isn't supported in the firmware yet?

If the former, I may be cancelling my order. I will also be asking why the manufacturer's representative is making false statements in the other thread. It may be a language problem, but it shouldn't be allowed to stand!

And on the 4:2:2 "out of the box" issue -- I would think that in a small, low-power device such as this, video decoding would be done by the graphics chipset, not the CPU. If so, it would not be possible to add 4:2:2 in firmware. Correct? Incorrect? I know there have been great advances in low-power CPUs recently, but video decoding is a very intensive operation for any non-trivial modes!

Not knocking the product but if it doesn't have 4:2:2 and blindscan out of the box it's not the ultimate box we've all been waiting for. More research on this one I guess
Blind

• No internal hard-drive included with receiver. You can connect an optional external HD or Flash Memory through USB.
  • E-SATA support is not verified yet, but I suspect it is available. I will check on this for you.

oh nice. So the manufacturer LIED to me

Sadoun I will be calling or PM'ing and cancelling my order. No 4:2:2 and no blind scan. Cripes my Coolsat 8000 has those non-options but that has OTA on it

Yes, I'm very disappointed, I was so looking forward to someone eating AZbox's lunch. They deserve it in my opinion for all their bumbling. (It's got to be the least-professional job of software development I've ever seen done by professionals. They should just turn the whole thing over to the free-software community, rather than just letting them write plugins for it.)

It's strange that DVBWorld would build a box without blind-scan since their latest generation of PCI cards and USB boxes have the capability, albeit without software support yet. That's why I asked Sadoun if he could clarify if there really was no support for it in the hardware.

On another note, in one of the screenshots that they posted of the new box, they show a CAM option under the network menu. Hmmm, no blind scan, and networked conditional access. I think we can guess who they're hoping to sell to. (Legal note: it may not be illegal in some places to clone your own card for your own use, but that doesn't do us any good here.)

It is still not obvious or clear to me (to my satisfaction) if "Hardware" BLIND SEARCH or 4:2:2 is available in this receiver. That is why I put the disclaimer:

* No 4:2:2 out of the box
* No hardware Blind Search. Only NIT and Auto Search
* No internal hard-drive included with receiver. You can connect an optional external HD or Flash Memory through USB.
* E-SATA support is not verified yet, but I suspect it is available. I will check on this for you.

It is still not obvious or clear to me (to my satisfaction) if "Hardware" BLIND SEARCH or 4:2:2 is available in this receiver. That is why I put the disclaimer:

Not to my satisfaction either, I specifically told the sales rep that I was a feedhunter and that I wanted the box for its reported blind scan capability. I point blank asked him if it for sure was hardware blind scan capable. This was contained in his reply email.:
"The Solomend DVB-S2 HD PVR800 support hardware blind scan". Can't get more definitive than that, but we also have a huge language problem plus the fact that blind scan doesn't mean much to those in Asia or Europe....so I'm still not sure that we are on the same page.
Sadoun, is Sathawk the NA model name for the Solomend? Or are these different boxes?

Not to my satisfaction either, I specifically told the sales rep that I was a feedhunter and that I wanted the box for its reported blind scan capability. I point blank asked him if it for sure was hardware blind scan capable. This was contained in his reply email.:
"The Solomend DVB-S2 HD PVR800 support hardware blind scan". Can't get more definitive than that, but we also have a huge language problem plus the fact that blind scan doesn't mean much to those in Asia or Europe....so I'm still not sure that we are on the same page.
Sadoun, is Sathawk the NA model name for the Solomend? Or are these different boxes?

Starman,

Language is an issue. When I visit factories in Asia and talk to development engineers, I have a hard time sometimes getting "our" terminology explained to them. Many think Auto Scan or NIT scan IS Blind Search. The tuner "hardware" has to support BLIND SEARCH, otherwise it will not work.

In the past I worked with FORTEC to get the 1st BLIND SEARCH receiver out in the market. In the beginning it was difficult to source tuners from suppliers for this. Now, it is more wide spread.

Yes, Sathawk the NA model for differentiation. They are the same boxes. Production runs for NA will have the SatHawk logo on it.

I'd suggest that before you import a container full of potential door stops, you have them send you (or someone else) one to feature test - even if you need to return it after testing.

If time is an issue for you, send it to Ice for features testing (yea big guy, I volunteered you).

Not sure anyone here wants to be that big of a $ guinea pig or see you get stuck eating a bunch of boxes.

Just my two pennies worth.

I would love to see a picture of where Ice has all these receivers he owns and tests. I often saw pictures of his dish farm, but never of his indoor setup.

This receiver does sound too good to be true, especially at this price. I would consider purchasing one after seeing a review.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)