Spectrum being kicked out of New York State question about ISP

Ceasing Charter's operations is not the same as shutting down all services necessarily. The state could possibly even take over the operation themselves if necessary in the public interest until a suitable operator could be brought in. I'm sure the thousands of Charter employees in NY would be happy to still have jobs. Charter operates as a public carrier since they offer business and residential phone service. That brings a lot of legal obligations with it that prevent them from just closing up shop and walking away. I don't imagine their shareholders would be very pleased if they walked away with nothing either. Charter is not just a NY company, they have a lot of other interests to protect as well. I think the best outcome for all concerned will be that Charter shows a willingness and presents a valid timeline to fulfill the rural expansion they agreed to, and the state gives them a long enough extension to see positive results that meet those timeline markers.
What do you mean "take over the operation"? As in confiscate? Spectrum owns all the lines and equipment. Spectrum has the contracts with the providers not the State. This is not a bankruptcy. This is a forced closing by the PSC. Are there not other providers for phone service in the area? Spectrum should give notice of a shutdown date and tell those affected to find another service and/or complain to the PSC. The PSC wants it both ways. They tell Spectrum that they don't like their business practices and need to leave the state BUT don't you dare inconvenience your customers as you leave and we are going to levy huge fines on you. The PSC wants an exit plan but why should Spectrum make it easy on them? Spectrum should tell them that they will seek a buyer BUT we will not continue to pay your outrageous fines indefinitely. If we cannot find a buyer willing to pay a reasonable price then We WILL shutdown at a certain date.

That recent $174 million fine had nothing to do with the current dispute over Spectrum's failure to perform as they said they would in order to get NY's approval of the TWC merger. The lawsuit and fine were related to false advertising by TWC prior to the merger.

The bottom line for the current dispute is that none of us have any idea how it's going to play out, and anything we say here is pure speculation. I'm dropping out of this thread at least until we have new official information to discuss.

What do you mean "take over the operation"? As in confiscate? Spectrum owns all the lines and equipment. Spectrum has the contracts with the providers not the State. This is not a bankruptcy. This is a forced closing by the PSC. Are there not other providers for phone service in the area? Spectrum should give notice of a shutdown date and tell those affected to find another service and/or complain to the PSC. The PSC wants it both ways. They tell Spectrum that they don't like their business practices and need to leave the state BUT don't you dare inconvenience your customers as you leave and we are going to levy huge fines on you. The PSC wants an exit plan but why should Spectrum make it easy on them? Spectrum should tell them that they will seek a buyer BUT we will not continue to pay your outrageous fines indefinitely. If we cannot find a buyer willing to pay a reasonable price then We WILL shutdown at a certain date.
New york wants to revoke the franchises..nothing to sell when that happens

Sent from my SM-G950U using the SatelliteGuys app!

What about the cable lines, cable boxes, switching equipment, satellite downlinks, etc? You know, all the physical stuff.
Same thing that happens when a TV station loses its license..its worthless...will it happen that way?..nope...but I love to see large companies that abuse customers get punished

Reactions: ncted
Same thing that happens when a TV station loses its license..its worthless...will it happen that way?..nope...but I love to see large companies that abuse customers get punished

So the new company taking over will be stringing all new cable lines and installing new switches along with building new downlink facilities? Expensive. Don't see how all those miles and miles of cable are worthless to an incoming cable/internet company. Not to mention the existing facilities to receive all the programming from the satellites.

How was that abusing customers? It was actually saving them money. Who do you think is going to get hit with an additional charge to pay for the sales tax that was not collected?

Well, the first response that came to mind is that you'd understand what abuse is if you've ever been a Sprint customer. ;)

But seriously, in this case Sprint wasn't just abusing their customers. My point was this is another ill-behaved company was getting their due.

So the new company taking over will be stringing all new cable lines and installing new switches along with building new downlink facilities? Expensive. Don't see how all those miles and miles of cable are worthless to an incoming cable/internet company. Not to mention the existing facilities to receive all the programming from the satellites.
The cables are old and decrepit..thus the service issue..

...a deal to keep Spectrum in place as long as certain conditions are met.
Hah ! That's what got them in trouble in the first place !

As you said, no one believed Spectrum would really get kicked out. I read a little about this yesterday but didn't see that there was any type of "no exceptions, no extensions" conditions that NY will enforce. I have no doubt that if Spectrum fails to meet the conditions again, they'll appeal, and get yet another break.

Reactions: osu1991 and NYDutch
Did you miss the "...an enforceable schedule to complete the remaining buildout work." part?
Won't deny, I didn't read your link. I read others about this topic (can't remember where the articles were from though). I don't live in NY state so I don't read it that closely either as it doesn't impact me personally.

Reactions: NYDutch
Won't deny, I didn't read your link. I read others about this topic (can't remember where the articles were from though). I don't live in NY state so I don't read it that closely either as it doesn't impact me personally.

As full time RV'ers, we don't "live" in NY other than briefly for a few weeks at a time. NY is our legal domicile though for drivers licenses, vehicle registrations, taxes, etc. We have Spectrum's Internet service at our lakeside family cottage though, so the situation is meaningful to us of course. Spectrum supplies service for the Hopper w/Sling we leave there that let's us use DishAnywhere on our Firestick to watch programs we might otherwise miss while in transit or making short overnight stops when we don't set up our portable dish. Our kids and grandkids live in NY as well, and all have Spectrum TV and/or Internet service as well.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 3)