Spectrum: Can you avoid cable box charges by just using the app?

JerseyGuy

SatelliteGuys Guru
Original poster
Jan 4, 2006
Spectrum is a decent price until i start adding equipment.. can i just use the app. Do I have to get a box for one room and then the app for the other TVs??

Spectrum is a decent price until i start adding equipment.. can i just use the app. Do I have to get a box for one room and then the app for the other TVs??
First, yes you can use just the app.

Second, it is not a good price, I live in a Charter Area and they have a lot of secret add on pricing ( read the fine print), Broadcast Channel Fee-$18 a month, Sports Fee-$5 a month,
Cloud DVR-$5

So add that to their least expensive TV package, which I believe is roughy $50, add that to the above, you are at, roughly, $78, then you have to pay those extra tax and fees on top of that, another $4-5 a month, then the price goes up a lot in the second year.

Or you can consider You Tube TV at a straight $65 a month, the only thing Spectrum will have that YTTV does not, is your local RSN.

Reactions: John2021
I had the select package when I had em. It came to 99.99 a month after taxes and fees. Dtv came out way cheaper for me!!! Another thing to consider is once the promos are up good luck trying to get another one without canceling . Oh I would never use rectrums video service somes always going down. The new dvrs are crap at best

First, yes you can use just the app.

Second, it is not a good price, I live in a Charter Area and they have a lot of secret add on pricing ( read the fine print), Broadcast Channel Fee-$18 a month, Sports Fee-$5 a month,
Cloud DVR-$5

So add that to their least expensive TV package, which I believe is roughy $50, add that to the above, you are at, roughly, $78, then you have to pay those extra tax and fees on top of that, another $4-5 a month, then the price goes up a lot in the second year.

Or you can consider You Tube TV at a straight $65 a month, the only thing Spectrum will have that YTTV does not, is your local RSN.
The select package is 49.99 when bundled. But after taxes and fees it doubles!!! Not a good deal at all.

This Thread is full of misinformation

1 - The $18 broadcast TV fee is the only extra below the line fee, DVR and set top rentals fees are to be expected
Set top rentals are $8/box, DVR fee is $12 for one DVR or $20 for up to four
You can use the Spectrum app in lieu of having a set top box, if you want DVR service with the app you need to pay for the Cloud DVR, which is $5 or $10.

2 - What taxes? Many states do not charge tax on TV service. It's illegal to charge tax on internet service. Charter eats the tax on phone service.

3 - There is no $5 'Sports Fee'.
There is an optional $5 add on Sports Tier that includes: ESPNEWS, MLB StrikeZone, NBA TV, NFL Network, NFL RedZone, NHL Network, Olympic Channel, Big Ten Network, Mav TV, Golf, Tennis Channel, Outdoor Channel and the 8 ESPN College Extra Channels. With the exception of StrikeZone, RedZone and Outdoor channel, all of the other channels mentioned are included in Digi Tier 1 or 2 add on packages for $12 each or included as a part of TV Gold. And unlike DirecTV, there is no RSN fee

4 - Spectrum's pricing is pretty reasonable compared to DirecTV.
I pay $194 (including the Broadcast Fee) for TV Gold w/Cinemax, Epix, 2 DVRs
A DirecTV equivalent of Premier + RSN Fee + 2 DVRs is $221 with the new pricing
Going even further to make it an apples to apples comparison as best as possible, if I were to add the Sports Tier to Spectrum price would be $199, if I add Epix and HD Extra Pack to DirecTV it would be $232. DirecTV is $33 more expensive for nearly the same services.

2 - What taxes? Many states do not charge tax on TV service. It's illegal to charge tax on internet service. Charter eats the tax on phone service.
there is the
Federal Communications Commission (FCC) Fee
Federal Universal Service Fund (USF) Fee
Franchise Fee
Sales Tax on TV service depends on the state

Last edited:
There are no additional fees with Spectrum Voice. Charter eats the E911, Federal Communications Commission Fee, Federal Universal Service Fund Fee. Franchise Fee (for video service) is the only one that applies.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-02-06 120953.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-02-06 120953.jpg
    8.6 KB · Views: 185
  • Screenshot 2022-02-06 121958.jpg
    Screenshot 2022-02-06 121958.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 185
There are no additional fees with Spectrum Voice. Charter eats the E911, Federal Communications Commission Fee, Federal Universal Service Fund Fee. Franchise Fee (for video service) is the only one that applies.
he did not ask about Voice Service, he asked about TV and right on that bill you posted, a extra $9.76 a month in fees and taxes, I do not have a Franchise charge because I only subscribe to their broadband.

That is why I recommend YTTV, no broadcast, no DVR, no Franchise fees, just a straight $65 a month.

He was trying to save money, not pay extra for the privilege of being a Spectrum Customer.

In your previous post you brought up fees related to voice, so I responded that they don't exist. Franchise fees are based on a percentage of the total of the TV portion of the bill. I pay almost $10 because I have a higher tier of TV service. Having a lower tier such as TV Select would make it $5 or less.

With all the spying and data mining Google does, YouTube TV should be free. Google is evil.

Reactions: mnassour
My parent's pay upwards of $15 in local taxes/franchise fees on their TV service with Spectrum.

In your previous post you brought up fees related to voice, so I responded that they don't exist. Franchise fees are based on a percentage of the total of the TV portion of the bill. I pay almost $10 because I have a higher tier of TV service. Having a lower tier such as TV Select would make it $5 or less.

With all the spying and data mining Google does, YouTube TV should be free. Google is evil.
I said nothing about voice.

I said nothing about voice.
Of course you did. The line for an E911 fee that you deleted when you edited your post about two hours ago and the two items below it are both related to Voice service.

The $18 BS broadcast fee and Franchise Fee that is universally changed on TV across the country are the only extra fees I pay as someone who has the highest level of all three services.

Of course you did. The line for an E911 fee that you deleted when you edited your post about two hours ago and the two items below it are both related to Voice service.

The $18 BS broadcast fee and Franchise Fee that is universally changed on TV across the country are the only extra fees I pay as someone who has the highest level of all three services.
And again, the poster wants to save money, so why go to a service that tacks on extra fees and taxes.

I have YTTV, there are no Franchise Fees, none, no DVR, no Broadcast, nothing, a straight $65 a month.

This Thread is full of misinformation

1 - The $18 broadcast TV fee is the only extra below the line fee, DVR and set top rentals fees are to be expected
Set top rentals are $8/box, DVR fee is $12 for one DVR or $20 for up to four
You can use the Spectrum app in lieu of having a set top box, if you want DVR service with the app you need to pay for the Cloud DVR, which is $5 or $10.

3 - There is no $5 'Sports Fee'.
There is an optional $5 add on Sports Tier that includes: ESPNEWS, MLB StrikeZone, NBA TV, NFL Network, NFL RedZone, NHL Network, Olympic Channel, Big Ten Network, Mav TV, Golf, Tennis Channel, Outdoor Channel and the 8 ESPN College Extra Channels. With the exception of StrikeZone, RedZone and Outdoor channel, all of the other channels mentioned are included in Digi Tier 1 or 2 add on packages for $12 each or included as a part of TV Gold. And unlike DirecTV, there is no RSN fee

4 - Spectrum's pricing is pretty reasonable compared to DirecTV.
I pay $194 (including the Broadcast Fee) for TV Gold w/Cinemax, Epix, 2 DVRs
A DirecTV equivalent of Premier + RSN Fee + 2 DVRs is $221 with the new pricing
Going even further to make it an apples to apples comparison as best as possible, if I were to add the Sports Tier to Spectrum price would be $199, if I add Epix and HD Extra Pack to DirecTV it would be $232. DirecTV is $33 more expensive for nearly the same services.
once the promo runs out good luck trying to get another without trying to get blood from a rock. you'll need to cancel something wait 30 days unlike DTV!!!

Given that you're paying almost $40/month for home phone service, they aren't eating anything. Even with the bundle discount, you're perhaps paying more than double what you need to and only getting one line.

You can get third party VOIP for under $20/month that includes two lines (with the same phone number) of unlimited calling in the US and Canada. Paying for long distance is so 2010.

Given that you're paying almost $40/month for home phone service, they aren't eating anything. Even with the bundle discount, you're perhaps paying more than double what you need to and only getting one line.

You can get third party VOIP for under $20/month that includes two lines (with the same phone number) of unlimited calling in the US and Canada. Paying for long distance is so 2010.

What are you talking about, how am I paying $40 for phone? Charter charges $30 - $10 bundling discount. I’m paying $20 for phone service. That’s include domestic long distance, and calling to Canada and the other countries mentioned. I don’t pay extra for that, not sure why you think I am. The only additional option is paying $5 extra for International service which includes unlimited calling to about 70 countries, mostly South American, Asian and EU.

I have no interest in using a third party VoIP provider.