Spectrum "Choice" Retention Package? Anyone?

Discussion in 'Cable and Fiber Providers' started by cpalmer2k, Jun 15, 2017.

1. spencer7779

spencer7779 SatelliteGuys Family

What do you come here to argue with everyone? The SD Dvr works fine It's easy, but for someone like you it might be to complicated

2. *** WELCOME TO SATELLITEGUYS! ***
  3. harshness

harshness SatelliteGuys Master

As DVRs have developed, so have expectations surrounding them. Needing a separate third-party media server and player aren't among those expectations. Skipping/slipping forward and jumping back some known interval are key features that aren't supported (yet).

I present alternative views because I have them. To present only the joy-joy is a disservice to those seeking the learn the ins and outs of a product to make an informed purchasing decision.

osu1991 likes this.
  4. cclauset

cclauset New Member

5. harshness

In my case, the included channels are the locals, Music Choice audio, CSPANs, EVINE, TBN, QVC, HSN and Jewelry TV. 49 of the 81 channels would be audio-only.

Ten cable channels doesn't leave much room -- especially the way that some of the networks like to spread their programming among their channel suites. It wasn't so bad when there was only one of everything but now there are multiples of many channels.

It would be weird indeed not having fallback channels like NASA and having DVR and on-demand access would be even more important.

6. spencer7779

A tip for Spectrum choice. If choose fx don't get Fxx or Fxm. If you choose CNN don't get HLN, If you ESPN don't get ESPN 2. All come free with the app

harshness likes this.
  7. spencer7779

I think you are doing a disservice to people not presenting the cost savings of alternative methods. I just contacted spectrum. A single Dvr would run $22 A month. That's $530 for 2 years for one tv. A Hdhomerun prime , NAS and a fire tv would run $280 + Dvr service and cable card would be $320 total. A $200 savings. More if you add a second tv and over Time. I having no problem skipping toward or back. Having a NAS is much better than having a clunky Dvr for all tvs.

8. harshness

But it is spread out over two years rather than being an up-front investment.
    Most of the demos I've seen have used Android TV (the NVIDIA Shield being the low-cost option) rather than a Fire Stick so you may be taking some liberties in costing your system. While not as much as a TiVo fee, the $35/year DVR Service fee does add up. CableCARD fees vary widely from 0 on up but would apply to any such device. Having more than three tuners could be beneficial for larger households and could save money on CableCARD fees.

Savings is in the eye of the beholder. If you have to spend time and energy on three separate devices versus a single box, that can be worth something.
    Would you not agree that jumping forward and back a certain interval would be more convenient for skipping commercials than running forward and back until you see the return of the program and then correcting with a short rewind?
    That's a pretty fantasitc claim. Are you not well acquainted with other modern DVR systems that feature a server and clients?

Am I correct in assuming that the Silicon Dust DVR doesn't support VOD? Obviously this isn't a big deal in OTA but with cable, it may be more important/desirable than DVR capability for many cable TV users.

For those who's mission is to do things on the absolute cheap, the Silicon Dust solution is no doubt a contender but it isn't without its overhead costs. For those who just want to watch TV, it is a relatively round-about path.

9. Jimc999

Jimc999 New Member

Separate names with a comma.

More...