Speculation on wrist wearable iPhone?

mike123abc

Too many cables
Original poster
Supporting Founder
Sep 25, 2003
Norman, OK
http://finance.yahoo.com/news/disruptions-where-apple-dick-tracy-160041533.html

In its headquarters in Cupertino, Calif., Apple is experimenting with wristwatch-like devices made of curved glass, according to people familiar with the company's explorations, who spoke on the condition that they not be named because they are not allowed to publicly discuss unreleased products. Such a watch would operate on Apple's iOS platform, two people said, and stand apart from competitors based on the company's understanding of how such glass can curve around the human body.
Apple declined to comment on its plans. But the exploration of such a watch leaves open lots of exciting questions: If the company does release such a product, what would it look like? Would it include Siri, the voice assistant? Would it have a version of Apple's map software, offering real-time directions to people walking down the street? Could it receive text messages? Could it monitor a user's health or daily activity? How much will it cost? Could Timothy D. Cook, Apple's chief executive, be wearing one right now, whispering sweet nothings to his wrist?

It could be interesting, but how many times have I banged my watch on something by accident, I would not want to break an expensive phone.

http://www.dailytech.com/article.aspx?newsid=29870

It's common for people to carry more than one portable device these days. When we're not glued to our smartphones, we typically have a laptop or tablet nearby for heavier workloads or just the convenience of a bigger screen. But Apple is looking to add another must-have device to our growing collection.

Apple is currently testing designs for a smart watch, which would act like a small-scale iPhone. According to The New York Times and The Wall Street Journal, Apple could be using bendable glass (such as that made by Corning) to create a watch that curves with the human body.

The tech giant is already in talks with manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry Co. for the new device. Hon Hai has been working on new technologies for wearable devices, such as more efficient displays and chips at that size.

Cook will speak at the Goldman Sachs Technology and Internet Conference starting at 7:15 a.m. Pacific/10:15 a.m. Eastern. The event will be held at the Palace Hotel in San Francisco, and will be for investors only, but Apple fans can tune in via webcast.

If you are a fan of blue tooth the whole concept of a wrist watch phone could make a lot of sense. I would of course want it to be waterproof. A blue tooth headset or car system would make it very practical.

Tim Cook made no statements on any of these speculations, dividends, products, no acquisitions. All his comments were on the fundamental philosophy of the company. Like, a statement that Apple will continue to make great products. Or that the suit by David Einhorn is just a silly sideshow but he makes some suggestions that Apple will seriously consider. Tim said that the company has considered several large companies for acquisition but none passed their tests. Basically, the interview was a non starter and nearly put me to sleep. As an investor with some very serious money in Apple, I'm getting tired of Tim's constant euphoric praise of his employees as an answer to what is most important to him. We get it and don't need reminding. The stock dipped $10 a share during Tim's talk. The markets were looking for something and got nothing new.
The next event will be the stock holders meeting on the 27th. Here stock holders are expecting an increase in dividend %.

Has Apple filed the lawsuits yet for all the other Smartwatches that are out there?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

Last edited:
Durable maybe but how often will I have to charge my watch?

Probably no more often than you charge your phone, but I am just guessing. Perhaps less, sure there will be a smaller battery, but should be much less of a battery hog as well.

How is this is different from having to charge your phone?

I expect to charge my phone reguary and my other options in that area are all pretty much the same.

But I have never in my life owned a watch that needed to be charged anywhere near as often as a phone. the two are not comparable at all.

If you take off your watch when you go to bed it would not be a big deal to plug it into a charger. Provided of course it goes a whole day without needing a charge.

I'll bet you'll just lay the watch on a pad and it'll charge it inductively.

I expect to charge my phone reguary and my other options in that area are all pretty much the same.

But I have never in my life owned a watch that needed to be charged anywhere near as often as a phone. the two are not comparable at all.

Have you ever in your life owned a watch that was a wearable computer?

I'll also bet you have never bought a watch to do more than tell time. I see them as totally comparable considering what you would buy them to do.

Not saying I would buy or want one, but the charging wouldn't be a consideration if it would make it though the day. I'm not sleeping with the dang thing on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I'll also bet you have never bought a watch to do more than tell time. I see them as totally comparable considering what you would buy them to do.

Not saying I would buy or want one, but the charging wouldn't be a consideration if it would make it though the day. I'm not sleeping with the dang thing on.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Well you lost your bet. But I would not buy a watch that neededs to be charged that often. You may have a different view on the subject but I don't think I am alone in saying this is not for me.

Maybe it will have a motion charger, charge as you swing your arm?

Sent from my iPad 4 using SatelliteGuys