Speed & FX in HD

spec1alk

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Sep 6, 2008
I have the Turbo HD Silver package.

Are Speed & FX HD included in this package? Do I have to go to Gold or get the Platinum extension to get these channels?

No, you need the Classic Silver package which is SD-only and then the $10 HD fee to get all the channels in Classic Silver in HD that exist called Silver HD. So you need Classic Silver with Silver HD, not Turbo Silver. The channels are currently not in any of the all-HD Turbo packages. The Platinum $10 add-on is a different package.

I have Gold and Platinum and I don't have these or Nick, Or MTV or VH1. According to DISH (and they could be wrong about this, too) my contract is up in six months. I'll be looking at Apple TV within that time frame.

The channels are currently not in any of the all-HD Turbo packages.
And the fact they aren't is a major point of contention with many, many Turbo HD subscribers. Since switching to Dish Network, I have quickly learned they do a much better job of misleading (and sometimes even outright lying to) their customers than DirecTV. :mad:

personally I long ago lost the ability to keep track of what is in the DISH packages. Having various packages with the words silver or gold that are not necessarily equivalent is just plain confusing. At tis point I don't even know for sure what package I have.

The channels are currently not in any of the all-HD Turbo packages.

Isn't this kind of stupid? Why would I EVER want to purchase a SD package when I have an HD TV? One of the biggest factors in going with E* was that they offered an ALL HD pkg.

I don't want 200 SD channels, because SD TV looks horrible since I have upgraded to a 67" DLP. I would be surprised if this is not the case with a growing number of customers.

I had heard something about the Speed & FX thing having to do with FOX wanting to also receive more $$$ by forcing customers to subscribe to both the SD & HD versions of the channels. Is this accurate? This is a very poor decision. If you have both the HD & SD channel, which are you going to watch? You do not need both.

Frankly, I would like to see E* drop the SD version of all of their HD channels. For every ~7 SD channels they could add a new HD channel. Is it a big deal to watch an HD channel on a SD TV?

I had heard something about the Speed & FX thing having to do with FOX wanting to also receive more $$$ by forcing customers to subscribe to both the SD & HD versions of the channels. Is this accurate?
It's a rumor, but not one I believe. I think Dish Network hoped to bait people in with all their touting of the Turbo HD packages, and now they hope to sucker us into having to buy the Classic+HD packages (and thus spend considerly more money). That said, I think their plan is going to backfire, and they'll just lose most of their disgrutled Turbo HD subs (once their contracts expire).

It's a rumor, but not one I believe. I think Dish Network hoped to bait people in with all their touting of the Turbo HD packages, and now they hope to sucker us into having to buy the Classic+HD packages (and thus spend considerly more money). That said, I think their plan is going to backfire, and they'll just lose most of their disgrutled Turbo HD subs (once their contracts expire).

Where can they (we) go though without paying a bunch more bucks? Being one of those Turbo subs, I'm really disappointed the way things have turned out. I really don't know why Jim made the point, when the rate increases were announced for the Turbo packages, the relatively large increases would be worth it. I don't know about the rest of the Turbo subs but getting Comedy, Spike, and CMT hardly were worth the increase. Given the Absolute subs had no rate increase and received more channels is also not comforting. Supposedly, this issue is to be fixed if reports from Team Summit are correct. As time passes (almost a month now) with no change, I become a little less sure that the situation will be rectified or that E* is even concerned. They've had since February when the Fox News debacle demonstrated the problem to do something about it.

Where can they (we) go though without paying a bunch more bucks?
Well, if I have to pay a bunch more to get Classic+HD (instead of just Turbo HD) to get all the channels in Silver then I might as well switch back to DirecTV where the RSNs are on 24/7 (and you get to see every HD televised game -- and even the other SD programming).

I don't know about the rest of the Turbo subs but getting Comedy, Spike, and CMT hardly were worth the increase.
I TOTALLY agree!

Supposedly, this issue is to be fixed if reports from Team Summit are correct. As time passes (almost a month now) with no change, I become a little less sure that the situation will be rectified or that E* is even concerned. They've had since February when the Fox News debacle demonstrated the problem to do something about it.
Until Dish Network actually does something (and as you said they've had plenty of time) then I must consider all that talk at the Summit as just more lip service and lies -- which sadly Dish Network is all too good at.

Well, if I have to pay a bunch more to get Classic+HD (instead of just Turbo HD) to get all the channels in Silver then I might as well switch back to DirecTV where the RSNs are on 24/7 (and you get to see every HD televised game -- and even the other SD programming).

I TOTALLY agree!

Until Dish Network actually does something (and as you said they've had plenty of time) then I must consider all that talk at the Summit as just more lip service and lies -- which sadly Dish Network is all too good at.

So all of the Fox RSN are live ALL the time with DirecTV? Do you have to purchase a special package in order to get those? I have Fox Rocky Mountain and the HD channel is NEVER on. Sometimes the SD counter-part will be on, but who wants to watch sports in SD?

I also agree that $10 is not worth the increase for CMT, Spike, and Comedy network. I would rather they take those channels back and lower my bill $10.

I suppose the one poster is right, even with the way E* is treating the TurboHD subs, I don't think they could get a similar package from another provider without paying a fair amount more. Price was a big deciding factor in my choosing E* over DirecTV.

I suppose in the end, I can live without Speed & FX. I mainly want my locals (3/4 in HD now), NFL Network, and EPSN. My wife likes Bravo, Travel, and Food network.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)