Splicing component cables?

Rocker74

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jan 29, 2005
I couldn't find a forum on cabling, and since I spend most of my time in here I thought I would give it a shot.

I have an 811, and use the dvi for my plasma. I would like to run the component out to my projector which is in the basement. The problem is getting the cable through the concrete wall. There is a small hole that was drilled through the wall into the garage when the previous owner had cable installed. I am thinking about cutting the end off of a component cable and reattach it after it is through the wall. I realise this is probably a bad idea, but it beats trying to make the whole in the concrete bigger. Has anybody ever tried anything like this?

Thanks

Rocker

You refer to the component cable as a single. Are you talking about cutting the ends off of all 3, then running them thru the hole? You should be fine, as long as you use quality fittings. A lot of guys make their own component cables with RG6 cable. Component cables are just 75 ohm. cable. Make sure you label the colored ends right.

Another fix for the small hole would be to use a Component Video - Cat5 Converter. Convert the component video to send on cat5 and then back to component on the tv end. Conveters are available by a variety of manufactures.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)