Split 811 Video

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

fahad

Active SatelliteGuys Member
Original poster
Mar 23, 2004
I have an 811 reciever and an HDTV in one room and another tv in the other room.
I want to split the signal betweent the two tvs so I can have two rooms with the same thing on..

What's the best way to accomplish this?

Get an RF modulator from like Radio shack. Take either the S-video (or yellow video) and Red/white audio and plug it into the rf modulator. Then if you have regualar cable run through your house you just plug one end of the cable into the modulator and the other end into your TV

There is an older RS RF modulator that will output stereo audio, the one you linked won't. The older one isn't listed on line anymore, but they are available in most of the RS stores. I've been hoping for a clearance sale, but so far, no markdown.

Caution, a lot of RF modulators say they do stereo, but they only accept it or they pass it through with an RCA plug out. The older RS is the only unit I've found that actually claims to carry and broadcast the stereo audio input to the other TV.

Carl B said:
The older RS is the only unit I've found that actually claims to carry and broadcast the stereo audio input to the other TV.

That's the one I use on my 811. It does broadcast stereo. Too bad they discontinued it already.

I think the latest version of the Philips RF modulator available at Wal-Mart does stereo. I remember seeing a "New and Improved" sticker on the ones at the local store. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=2181624

Mike J

Read the fine print on the Walmart unit, it doesn't output the stereo signal via RF, just another RCA plug to an "audio receiver". If I remember what I read on the package, the same is true for the RS DVD kit unit. Buyer beware! Read the fine print!

Thanks alot for your help guys! I'll try and see whats up with the one n0qcu recommended.

Thanks again!

I just bought one of the older RS units that I was talking about today. Last one on the shelf and not on clearance. This rather large RS store had at least a half a dozen before Christmas.

Anyway, pulled a composite video with left and right analog audio off the back of my E* 4700 in the basement (late, great HT effort that's now never used) and connected it to the RS Stereo Modulator. Hooked the coax out to it with the other end going to a Sony 27" TV in the second floor bedroom. Results? Well it sounds better and the PQ even looks better. But, with the old A/V 2-channel receiver up there and a lack of good stereo separation on any of the shows on at the time, I can't prove that I'm getting stereo out, just better sound and video.

I previously had used the RF-out of the 4700, which the 4700's manual states does not output a stereo signal. Sound was flat and video was, at best adequate.

Which brings me to a question about RF Modulators. Since the unit is modulating the video input to RF, does it make any difference if that input is composite or s-video? I thought about pulling an s-video stream off the 4700 for the modulator's input, but that is more effort for me and I didn't think it mattered. Any RF modulator/video signal experts out there?

Try an old VCR

If you have an old stereo VCR, especially one with good electronics but a bad transport deck, then you have a nice modulator and the cost is right because it was not doing anything in the garage. Just flip the TV/VCR button.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)