Split Satellite Cable in bedroom to Guest room

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Tutuberry

Original poster
Nov 11, 2010
Los Angeles
Hi, I am trying to see if I can use the satellite cable from my Directv dish that comes in my bedroom wall and I use on my tv in SD receiver, can I split that to another room into another receiver from that single coax cable? They are old (7years) Samsung receivers in SD. I canceled the one receiver 2 years ago when I went HD in living room. I bought a tv for guests & thought maybe I could split the satellite cable to run to that receiver & then have directv turn the box back on. I've read tons about splitters, diplexers & multiswitches. It looks like it can't be that difficult but, I am super confused now. I've purchased coax cables & a regular splitter, than read I would need diplexer and/or multiswitch. Can I do it from inside the bedroom cable from dish? My contract is up in April/2011 & I will renegotiate HD & installation for the other rooms for a better deal then. But, for now I just want to turn on that receiver & do it myself. Any Help on what I need to do to make it happen? TIA for any suggestions...

Last edited:
Hi, Thanks for the response, I really appreciate it! I have a round dish with 2 lines going into wall downstairs for HD t.v. I have an old, old cable line from dish through my bedroom wall to an old Samsung receiver(2003) in SD. My parents wanted some TV in the guest room down the hall & I have another one of these receivers. I wanted to split this cable in my room instead of drilling more holes in the walls for once in a while viewing. I called Directv & the operator said I could turn that box back on again for $4 or $5 a month. I thought I could put some type of splitter & hook up that other receiver & turn it back on without installation fees by doing it myself. If anything I'm sure I can split it to same channel I'm watching. I just thought I could do something temporary till April when I can renegotiate some HD receiver/install deals when our contract is up. I read somewhere you can use a diplexer or multiswitch with a satellite coax cable and split the volts. I just wanted to know if I can do it right from the wall line inside instead of the actual dish. I don't understand all the diagrams & different options. Thanks for your help :)

Yes, for the old round dish you can use a 3x4 multiswitch. You will need to feed BOTH lines from the dish into the multiswitch, then feed each receiver off multiswitch output. Because of the way the old multiswitches work, you can not get by connecting it to just one satellite feed. It needs both. Some of them also require a power adapter. Basically what they do is lock one sat feed on 13v and the other on 18v. Then they physically switch an output (with a relay so they will actually click) to either feed depending on the voltage the receiver is sending. If you just split a line, both receivers would actually work IF both receivers are sending the same voltage. But once you change the channel and it needs to change polarization, the one sending 18v wins that war, plus damages the other receiver in the process.

Thanks for the info...I've spent 2 days trying to do something that looks so easy to do but, is NOT! I guess I'll just get them an antenna for local channels :) This stuff is too much for me! Thank You again, al of you!

Well, it IS easy to set up (you just have to hook the 5 cables to the multiswitch), but it may not be easy to get the cables to the right place, especially if your installation 'wraps' the house and the coax goes in two different directions.

Okay, so I just crawled out to the dish on my patio roof. I have a slimeline with 4 cables coming out of it and then connected to a vey simple input/output device with 3 cables coming out of that & one capped off. 2 cables run down the wall into my living room for HD/DVR and 1 is in my bedroom wall to my SD receiver. Could I uncap the other output & hook up a 100ft coax cable & run it to my old receiver and have Directv turn on that box to the guest room? TIA for any replies :)

Last edited:
Ohhhh you said before you have a ROUND dish. Slimline non-SWiM is a different animal. YES, that device is a multiswitch, and YES that capped off output (as long as it says "OUT4" and not something else like Ant IN or something) is live and will support a 4th tuner.

Last edited:
Okay, so I just crawled out to the dish on my patio roof. I have a slimeline with 4 cables coming out of it and then connected to a vey simple input/output device with 3 cables coming out of that & one capped off. 2 cables run down the wall into my living room for HD/DVR and 1 is in my bedroom wall to my SD receiver. Could I uncap the other output & hook up a 100ft coax cable & run it to my old receiver and have Directv turn on that box to the guest room? TIA for any replies :)

Yes, uncap that one and run a new line and go into the back of your SD recvr, as long as it's not a DVR your golden.
Call D* to activate, they will want the recvr ID and the access card in that machine, if it's new enough, you won't need to get a new one sent out, if not, it will cost you $ 20.

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)