Split Triple lnb Signal?

Status
Please reply by conversation.

marcusj50

Original poster
Jan 23, 2005
I just built a new house and had (2) RG6 cables run from my attic to a “home run” box in the laundry room. I should have run more. I was planning on having one attic cable reserved for a dish and the other for an OTA antenna. Each room’s (family room, master bedroom ,etc) cable hook up originates from the “home run” box. I also have a Directv triple lnb dish.

The installers hooked up two cables originating from the dish to each of the (2) cables in the attic. These connections then run down to the “home run” box, connect directly to the two room’s cables and then off to the two rooms that have the Directv receivers. There is also an extra RG6 cable running from the box to the family room intended to be used for the OTA signal.

My dilemma is I have no cable connections left in the attic to run an OTA antenna signal from the attic, to the box and off to my family room TV.

I have been reading about multi-switches, high-frequency splitters and all kinds of devices but I can’t figure out what will solve my problem.

In the end I would like one attic cable to transmit the Directv signal to the box, get split there and send the signal to the two rooms (MSB and family room) thus reserving the other attic cable for the OTA signal.

Any ideas?

You can use diplexers ($10 each) to combine your OTA signal and your Direct TV signal. Use one diplexer in your attic or at your dish to combine your OTA antenna cable and one of the LNB cables - then at your box downstairs, use another to split the signals again.

I just did the same thing yesterday rather than replacing my OTA antenna cable that was old and degrading. Worked like a charm and was cheaper than buying 100' of good quality RG-6 cable.

FYI - the same RCA brand diplexer was selling at Home Depot for $10 and at Best Buy for $21 :shocked

Thanks for the info. One question. I have read about diplexors before but never tried one. I think I remember reading that they can degrade signal quality but I could be mistaken. Have you noticed any difference or heard of this before?

Your only solution is to run another cable from your dish directly to the room you want to add a receiver in or to the home run box if you want additional receivers. If all you want is local channels from an OTA antenna the diplexers will do the job very well.

Just make sure you get diplexors rated for satellite frequencies.

And while you can combine a satellite feed and the ota antenna with a diplexor, you can't use it to split the satellite feed to two sets. Won't work.

I have 2 D10 receivers (as well as an R10 DVR) and the diplexors are in line with the feed to one of the D10s. I can't see any noticable difference in picture quality when comparing the two D10s. I wouldn't use them in a feed to a HD receiver though . . . .

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)

Latest posts