Spliting satellite signal ???

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE
Status
Please reply by conversation.

jhammett

Original poster
Apr 26, 2013
Wichita, KS
Ok I am holding off on installing my HD satellite until I am more educated on the process. I have however set up a 3 LNB 18"X20". I have 2 SD recievers ( i dont think the HD recievers will work with this dish) QUestion. Can i split the signal from this satellite to run both recievers at the same time. Currently I am simply connecting the reciever I want to use.

You can use an hd receiver with that dish, but it will only receive sd signals. In order to run more than one, you need to run multiple lines from the dish. There are four outputs on the dish which can go to at most four tuners. There is one tuner in a receiver, two in a dvr. If you need more, then you would have to use a multiswitch.

You can use an hd receiver with that dish, but it will only receive sd signals. In order to run more than one, you need to run multiple lines from the dish. There are four outputs on the dish which can go to at most four tuners. There is one tuner in a receiver, two in a dvr. If you need more, then you would have to use a multiswitch.

wow i do not know why I didnt think of that SIMPLE solution esspecially since I took the LNBs off yesterday to change a cable and physically cleaned ALL 4 outputs... Bone head on my part... Sometimes i compllicate things through over analyzation.

wow i do not know why I didnt think of that SIMPLE solution esspecially since I took the LNBs off yesterday to change a cable and physically cleaned ALL 4 outputs... Bone head on my part... Sometimes i compllicate things through over analyzation.

Jh,
It can get more complicated if you try to mix and match equipment. DirecTV equipment has evolved over the last twenty years. Both the dishes ( ODU = Out Door Unit) and the boxes (IRD = Integrated Receiver Decoder) have had their capabilities enhanced over the years. Likewise the techniques for making them active have changed. So, without going into all the changes....make sure you identify the dish and receivers you are using and correctly enter your equipment in the set-up portion of your installation.

Good for you for experimenting with the stuff.

Joe

The powered Slimeline dish with the green stickered lnb has one cable coming from it going to a splitter with a power supply connected to a coax going to a splitter. The other dishes like the one you have would require the separate wire runs to each receiver.

The powered Slimeline dish with the green stickered lnb has one cable coming from it going to a splitter with a power supply connected to a coax going to a splitter. The other dishes like the one you have would require the separate wire runs to each receiver.

Yea My HD dish is one of those SWIM systems. I have the spliter that is supposed to have the powered splittrers with it. What is slowing me down is that I can not find the actual SWIM splitter. I have everything except the power pass i think they call it. Not sure where i out that, Any Ideas on where to get or how much a replacement will be?

let's not forget that the h25 and hr34 are both swm only units and will not work with the 18x20 without some sort of switch that may send it out in swm fashion. ;)

let's not forget that the h25 and hr34 are both swm only units and will not work with the 18x20 without some sort of switch that may send it out in swm fashion. ;)

True. I don't think of the HR34 as a receiver, but your point is still valid. The HR44 is swm only too, isn't it?

Ok I am holding off on installing my HD satellite until I am more educated on the process. I have however set up a 3 LNB 18"X20". I have 2 SD recievers ( i dont think the HD recievers will work with this dish) QUestion. Can i split the signal from this satellite to run both recievers at the same time. Currently I am simply connecting the reciever I want to use.

DO NOT use the CATV components advertised in that AdChoice box!

Joe

Those will work with the older dish, but as I mentioned, no hd.

Those will work with the older dish, but as I mentioned, no hd.

Hey Chip,
My point with those CATV splitters is they are not in spec for the SWM systems. They may work. For sure they will be fine for splitting IRD outputs to the extent that there is a coax output port on the IRD.
There is just so much DirecTV gear out there that I wanted to ring the bell about reading what the component label says.

I thought it strange the powers that sell ads would stick an ad for incompatible components in the DirecTV forum.

Joe

You are right of course about the splitters. I wasn't thinking about those. Are there any Directv branded boxes that have coaxial outputs?

You are right of course about the splitters. I wasn't thinking about those. Are there any Directv branded boxes that have coaxial outputs?

I havn't kept up...most SD boxes do. Beyond that the world of modulators awaits. Early HD DVRs had them & the digital converter chip...they just disappeared. This stuff must exist on a table somewhere. There is just so much equipment out there that it has become a computer job just to keepup.

joe

I think the H/HR10's were the last ones, maybe the H20 series, but I don't think so. (don't remember actually)

No, the ku hd boxes were the last to have coax out, other than that only

D10,d11,d12, r15, r16

Again only boxes that work on the kuband. Anything that utilizes ka band has no coax out.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

No, the ku hd boxes were the last to have coax out, other than that only

D10,d11,d12, r15, r16

Again only boxes that work on the kuband. Anything that utilizes ka band has no coax out.

Sent from my PG06100 using Tapatalk 2

That is a pretty good way to remember it.

Joe

Status
Please reply by conversation.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)