Splitter Question

• WELCOME TO THE NEW SERVER!

If you are seeing this you are on our new server WELCOME HOME!

While the new server is online Scott is still working on the backend including the cachine. But the site is usable while the work is being completes!

Thank you for your patience and again WELCOME HOME!

CLICK THE X IN THE TOP RIGHT CORNER OF THE BOX TO DISMISS THIS MESSAGE

AndyOI

SatelliteGuys Family
Original poster
Jun 26, 2005
Currently I have 2 receivers each running its own coax line to the Dish 500. Well I'm adding a new room which has 2 wall outlets for the ability to move the TV if I want. I'm looking to upgrade to a SuperDish and use the enclosed DP 34 switch to connect the 3 receivers I will have.

My question is, is there anyway I can only run a single coax cable to the new room and split it between the two wall outlets somehow? Only 1 outlet will be in use at a time, I just want to keep the 4th output on the DP 34 open for future changes.

Daisy chain the outlets! Use a cover plate with two connections in the middle of "chain". Single connector on the end of "chain".

When using the end outlet connect a short jumper to complete the circuit.

inwo said:
Daisy chain the outlets! Use a cover plate with two connections in the middle of "chain". Single connector on the end of "chain".

When using the end outlet connect a short jumper to complete the circuit.

Ok....I am COMPLETELY confused... Haven't got a clue what any of that means. Sorry, but I'm completely new at this

I read through that a few more times and sort of get it. But I already have my walls up and such with a single coax line running to each of the outlets. Is there any splitter that would work considering I only want to use one at a time?

No...you can NOT split a satellite signal (ok, maybe in very rare instances...but not in yours...I'm sure either Simon or Iceberg will give specifics about Alaska only having 119...blah, blah, blah).

Another idea that occured to me is for you to have BOTH outlets in that 3rd room directly feeding into ports 3 and 4 on your DP34 switch. At least then you'll have a constant source of signal.

webbydude said:
No...you can NOT split a satellite signal (ok, maybe in very rare instances...but not in yours...I'm sure either Simon or Iceberg will give specifics about Alaska only having 119...blah, blah, blah).

Another idea that occured to me is for you to have BOTH outlets in that 3rd room directly feeding into ports 3 and 4 on your DP34 switch. At least then you'll have a constant source of signal.

I know your idea is a possibility now and works fine since I only have 3 receivers. I was just trying to see if I could avoid it just to make things easier in the future but I suppose not. Thanks though

Think of it as "signal runs in one direction... If it is running to a room just loop it to the other niple to get it to the other room... Hense 2 F-81'z (barrel connectors) on one plate... That way your sending the dish signal to the other room... It caries voltage to power the lnbf'z... Hell did I say that right...

bestsatellites said:
Think of it as "signal runs in one direction... If it is running to a room just loop it to the other niple to get it to the other room... Hense 2 F-81'z (barrel connectors) on one plate... That way your sending the dish signal to the other room... It caries voltage to power the lnbf'z... Hell did I say that right...

So lets see if I've got this straight. I would need to run a Coax directly from the DP34 to a 2 barrel outlet. One of those outlets would be for a TV, the other would need another coax connected to it to run across the floor of my room to the other 2 barrel outlet?

No, here's a very simple diagram to describe what he means.

DP342Rooms.jpg

A "Jumper cable" is simply a short piece of coax to link the connection from the DP34 to the other wall jack.

Edit: Make sure that if you use "wall connectors" on your wall plates, that they're RG6! (They'll have a blue "filling" on the inside instead of a clear inside)

Ok, that makes sense to me, it's just that without thinking about it earlier, I already had the two outlets wired with a single Coax to each one, so there really isnt any way for me to connect the two together in a chain.

*chuckle*

This might be a way to do it!

dishideas.jpg

I don't condone the first one, but if you don't move the receiver... that might work!

Actually, come to think of it, I bet the first idea would work, the TRICKY part would be getting diplexers that don't block the DC feed the switch gets from the receiver.

OTOH if the switch is already getting power from other receivers, that might not be a prob.

If you want a TV on that first wall jack, then you'd plug the receiver into port 1 of the diplexer. If you wanted the feed to go to your other wall jack, you'd plug a short wire into both ports 1 and 2.

Makes sense, doesn't it? It'd be smart to remove the diplexer that's in between the DP34 and the first wall jack when not using the 2nd jack, but totally not necessary.

Ok, I see that wiring is already done.
The only proper way is to wire both jacks to the DP34 switch as was already suggested.

Although not supported I have seen many homeowner installs such as yours, where signal went thru a splitter to the two jacks. Even low freq 4 way jacks! :eek:

The best way would be to use HF splitter and hope the DP communication gets thru ok.

I know it works. I've seen it work (4way). I would not do it myself. :eek: I don't know why it works. :confused: Not all splitters will work.

Run them both to the 34 switch

If you add another receiver, disconnect the line that is not in use

If you decide to move the TV & use the other outlet, disconnect the line you will no longer be using & re-connect the line you will be using

Of course it's also possible to stick an A/B switch on that sucker and switch off to whatever jack you're using. Thing is you'd have to go up to where the wiring goes anyway.

The diplexer thing might work, the splitter thing will probably work under 2 circumstances: 1. It's a really good splitter, 2. it passes DC through.. It also has to be able to do frequencies from 1-2000 (preferably 3000) mhz.

The other thing..

DO NOT, I REPEAT, DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES allow 2 receivers to get on that splitter at the same time. You might have to put some kinda label on the outlets reminding you of this (or whoever moves in). I'm not sure but I've heard in some instances it can cause Bad Things™ to happen...

if you took a splitter that was power passing on both ports, you might be able to put it in up at the 34 switch like you want to, as long as you only have 1 receiver hooked up a time it should work, the problem comes in when you try doing 2 receviers off the same line, then the voltages interfer, and one might be trying to access the odd transponder, and one the even, and it just dont work, but if it is just going to be one recevier, and it has to be a dual port power passing splitter, i think it would work

AndyOI said:
Currently I have 2 receivers each running its own coax line to the Dish 500. Well I'm adding a new room which has 2 wall outlets for the ability to move the TV if I want. I'm looking to upgrade to a SuperDish and use the enclosed DP 34 switch to connect the 3 receivers I will have.

My question is, is there anyway I can only run a single coax cable to the new room and split it between the two wall outlets somehow? Only 1 outlet will be in use at a time, I just want to keep the 4th output on the DP 34 open for future changes.

The expensive:
Buy a 2nd DP34 switch and "trunk them" together. Run a dedicated line to each outlet with the possibility for more in the future (8 locations with this set up)... do not diplex, do not split.

The cheap:
When you chose to "move" your receiver location in the same room run your coax from the old location's wall plate (the one connected directly to the dp34) to the new location with a stretch of rg-6 along the baseboard. Think of it like an extension cord :cool:

To better wrap your head around all this forget the other wall plate... work with one only. No diagrams... just "extend" the location of the one (remember, the only one directly connected to the dp34) wall plate to the other by simply plugging in an extension to the other location.

Of course this is only if your room fits the scenario.

G'luck :idea:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Total: 0, Members: 0, Guests: 0)

Who Read This Thread (Total Members: 1)